Skip to main content
Topic: Steer safe  (Read 311 times) previous topic - next topic
Steer safe
Does anyone have any information or opinions about steer safe on a mid bath?

Re: Steer safe
Reply #1
Lots of info in the archives, as these were a common discussion topic at one time.

For example: Steer Safe Stabilizer

Also, an entry in the Companion: The Lazy Daze Companion: Steering Stabilizer

My rig came to me with a steer safe device installed (previous owner installed it).  It wouldn't be near the top of my list of things I want on the next rig, but I haven't bothered to remove it either.

If you're concerned about blowouts, a TPMS is probably a better investment.

The lower center of gravity, and lower overall height of a LazyDaze typically results in better highway handling than other Class C RVs.  It's still a big heavy vehicle and will never drive like a car. 

Tire pressure can make a big difference in handling - make sure your tires are set according the weight on the axle and the tire manufacturers inflation table. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
Thanks Rich

Reply #3
I had Steer Safe installed on my 2003 MB last year while at an RV park in Deming, NM. Since they are located in Deming, they came to the park and installed it in about 30 mins.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #4
Two issues I have seen with Steer Safe is loose hardware and broken springs, caused by rusting.
If a spring breaks, the RV will pull hard to one side. I suggest keeping the springs coated with an anti-rust spray and checking the torque on the hardware periodiclly.
Safe-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer is another popular stabilizer, it sufferers too from loosening hardware and slipping on the draglink, cause the steering to veer to one side.

Personally, I have never experienced a need for any optional steering accessories.YMMV
I do run a long-life Bilstein steering stabilizer, which replaced the stock stabilizer when it wore out.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
On my drive back to California from Florida, I experienced quite a bit of wandering or instability. I was going pretty slow at 60-65, even in places like Texas where the speed limit was 75 or 80, and was constantly being passed by semis. The LD would be pushed to the right initially during passing, then get sucked in towards the semi as the rear of the trailer passed me. Initially, it was a little disconcerting until I understood what was happening and knew what to expect.

At the beginning of the trip, I had pumped up the tires to the max at 75 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rears. That was what was on the door jamb. Looking back, it was probably too much pressure since I was so lightly loaded. The morning of my last leg of the trip, from Quartzsite to Tehachapi, I had the bright idea of reducing the pressure in the front tires to 70 psi. It made a world of difference!  Wish I had thought of it sooner.  Guess I’m I slow learner.  🤔
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
A TPMs is cheap piece of mind. Before I purchased my rig a previous owner had a blowout on the passenger rear tire it damaged the cabinetry and the water tank. I’m sure that was an expensive repair! I purchased an aftermarket system from Amazon which covers all six tires four approximately $150.

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge

Reply #7
thank you all!