Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical Questions (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic
Electrical Questions
I am plugged into our house power using a 30 amp/120 V adapter since we don’t have 30 amp service in the garage. We have been “camping” in the driveway the last couple of nights because I have not yet completed winterizing and wanted to keep the interior from freezing as it has been getting into the mid 20’s overnight (hoping to get the blowout hose on Wednesday so I can complete the winterizing process on Thursday). So I’ve been using a combination of the propane furnace and an electric space heater to keep the interior warm.

A couple of questions:

1. Would being plugged in using the 30 amp adapter be adequate for also running the heat pump on the AC unit, or is that not advisable?

2. This morning, the Bluesky Solar Boost 3000i is showing 12.1 volts. Shouldn’t the battery voltage be higher if the LD has been plugged in constantly?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Electrical Questions
Reply #1
2. This morning, the Bluesky Solar Boost 3000i is showing 12.1 volts. Shouldn’t the battery voltage be higher if the LD has been plugged in constantly?

Greg, I don't know what the current draw of the heat pump is. Per the Blue Sky documentation the 3000i "displays Battery Voltage continuously if the 3000i is in a Charge Off state, or alternates between Battery Voltage & Output Charge Current if the 3000i is charging the battery." Is the converter on (check the circuit breaker in the Power Center)?

Charles

Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #2
Hi Greg,

I think you’ll be OK with outside temps in the mid-20 degree range for a few days with the furnace and heat pump on.  You may wish to drain the exterior shower (if you have one) and hot water heater (assuming you’re not using it).  Also, as I’m sure you’ve done, leave the interior water pump / water tank access panel off to allow interior heating to keep the water system warm.

I’ve run my AC/HP from a 20Amp source but I understand it is not advisable.  As for the coach battery voltage, that does seem low given that you are parked outdoors, ie; your shore power plus solar panels should keep your voltage at or above 14 volts during the day.  Perhaps your batteries are on their way out?  I’m sure others will have more specific advice on these electrical questions.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #3
I am plugged into our house power using a 30 amp/120 V adapter since we don’t have 30 amp service in the garage. We have been “camping” in the driveway the last couple of nights because I have not yet completed winterizing and wanted to keep the interior from freezing as it has been getting into the mid 20’s overnight (hoping to get the blowout hose on Wednesday so I can complete the winterizing process on Thursday). So I’ve been using a combination of the propane furnace and an electric space heater to keep the interior warm.

A couple of questions:

1. Would being plugged in using the 30 amp adapter be adequate for also running the heat pump on the AC unit, or is that not advisable?

You really need to know a few things.  What size breaker is on the circuit in the garage you are plugged into?  Are there any other loads on that circuit?  Is that circuit GFCI protected? (sometimes GFCI breakers and motorhome don't play well).

If you have a heat pump AC rather than an AC with a "heat strip" be aware that the heat pump rapidly loses efficiency as the temperature drops below about 40F.  The heat pump startup current is likely to trip the garage breaker if the electric space heater is also running on high.  You really need to do an energy usage audit of everything that could be on.

If the propane furnace was on a lot, that really draws on your 12VDC system, but being plugged in should be able to keep up.  Have you verified that the converter is working?

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
Greg, I don't know what the current draw of the heat pump is. Per the Blue Sky documentation the 3000i "displays Battery Voltage continuously if the 3000i is in a Charge Off state, or alternates between Battery Voltage & Output Charge Current if the 3000i is charging the battery." Is the converter on (check the circuit breaker in the Power Center)?

Thanks, Charles.  Something in the converter unit was making that annoying cycling on and off noise most of the night but I’ll open up the converter panel and verify the breakers are all on.

Edit: yes, all the circuit breakers are on.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
You really need to know a few things.  What size breaker is on the circuit in the garage you are plugged into?  Are there any other loads on that circuit?  Is that circuit GFCI protected? (sometimes GFCI breakers and motorhome don't play well).

It would also be advisable to watch the actual line voltage during A/C-heatpump operation.  It's a pretty good current draw and depending on wiring length, etc., you could risk low line voltage during operation (which is not good for the unit).

Reply #6
Hi Greg,

I think you’ll be OK with outside temps in the mid-20 degree range for a few days with the furnace and heat pump on.  You may wish to drain the exterior shower (if you have one) and hot water heater (assuming you’re not using it).  Also, as I’m sure you’ve done, leave the interior water pump / water tank access panel off to allow interior heating to keep the water system warm.

I’ve run my AC/HP from a 20Amp source but I understand it is not advisable.  As for the coach battery voltage, that does seem low given that you are parked outdoors, ie; your shore power plus solar panels should keep your voltage at or above 14 volts during the day.  Perhaps your batteries are on their way out?  I’m sure others will have more specific advice on these electrical questions.

Thanks, Warren. Yes, I have drained the water heater and the freshwater tank, and the water pump access panel under the kitchen sink is removed right now. There is a little water in the two holding tanks, though, which I intend to dump on Wednesday when I go down the hill.  I do have an outside shower but it was apparently leaking so the previous owner removed the hose part. I did stuff some rags into the little compartment to help insulate the shower valves as an added measure.

Yesterday it was cold and foggy so probably didn’t get much in the way of solar charging but it has been plugged in for the last two days.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7

If you have a heat pump AC rather than an AC with a "heat strip" be aware that the heat pump rapidly loses efficiency as the temperature drops below about 40F.  The heat pump startup current is likely to trip the garage breaker if the electric space heater is also running on high.  You really need to do an energy usage audit of everything that could be on.

If the propane furnace was on a lot, that really draws on your 12VDC system, but being plugged in should be able to keep up.  Have you verified that the converter is working?

Thanks, Art. I just went out and verified the circuit at the house breaker box. I am plugged into a 20 amp GFCI circuit. I also noticed the the roof AC in the RV has a 20 amp breaker.  So, as long as I’m not running the little electric space heater, microwave, etc., I should be ok to run the heat pump or AC, correct?

Yes, I found out about the heat pump efficiency issue on my drive back from Florida. I was at a park in central Texas for a couple days with hook-ups and was running the heat pump. I must say that while the heat pump is noisy, that sucker works really well, or at least until it gets really cold! As you said, once it got down into the 30’s, it just kind of quit.

Yes, the converter seems to be working so not sure why the voltage is lower than expected.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
It would also be advisable to watch the actual line voltage during A/C-heatpump operation.  It's a pretty good current draw and depending on wiring length, etc., you could risk low line voltage during operation (which is not good for the unit).

Thanks, Michelle. Do you do that through the Bluesky monitor? The (30ft?) RV power cord is plugged directly into the garage outlet (no extension cord).
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Thanks, Michelle. Do you do that through the Bluesky monitor? The (30ft?) RV power cord is plugged directly into the garage outlet (no extension cord).

You really don't want the AC/heat pump to run on less than about 107 Volts AC.  Running the AC on low voltage draws more current and can cause the motor to overheat, potentially damaging it .  This is one reason I really recommend something like a Progressive Industries EMS watching the shore line power.  They will drop incoming power if the voltage sags too low.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #10

Hi Greg;  The BlueSky monitor is only the solar controller and is hooked to the battery. It doesn't need access to 110V, and doesen't. You can get a Kill-O-Watt meter to monitor voltage (and frequency when you are on generator)  A Digital Volt Meter or DVM is a usefull tool many times, many places. Carry a good one around. With it you can measure incoming volts.
   Why use the overhead heat pump at all?  When you wear it out, it will cost  over a $1000 for a new one. The cheap little box heater is under $70, and easy to replace. Running all night will keep the insides warm.  Amazon.com: Comfort Glow BDISC6 Original Brown Box Ceramic Disc Heater 5,200...
  Batteries produce electrons by way of a chemical reaction.  The speed of chemical reaction is affected by temperature. At 20 degrees at night, 12.1 volts is ok. I'll bet when things warm up, about 3 in the afternoon, the voltage will be higher.  I don't like the Parallax converters. I believe they don't compensate for low temperatures. The SB3000i has a temperature sensor, but I'm pretty sure it just lowers current if your batteries overheat. I don't think either of those sources compensate for low temperatures.
   A small amount of water in your holding tanks, if it does freeze, shouldn't hurt the tanks. You could just dump gray water on the ground.  Black water might not freeze at 20 degrees.  (molal depression point) 
   People usually don't complain about their residential refrigerators cycling on and off at night, or their space heaters at home.  Those fans in the LD power center are performing properly, protecting internal components from overheating. They also indicate that the converter is on and operating, providing 12 volts to the coach, and trying to charge your batteries.  RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #11
Art, I did purchase this surge protector from the previous owner which I used at the park in Texas. Will this monitor line voltage also? I am not sure how to hook it up at my house 120V set up, though.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
Art, I did purchase this surge protector from the previous owner which I used at the park in Texas. Will this monitor line voltage also? I am not sure how to hook it up at my house 120V set up, though.

Yes, that should do the job (if it is plugged inline).  You should also be able to read the AC voltage and current draw on its display.  You ought to be able to plug your power cable into this and plug the PI unit into your 30A->20A adapter.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #13
Hi Ron, thanks for your input. Good point about using the more expensive heat pump. The little electric heater I’m using now is having trouble keeping up so I’ll take a look at the one you referenced. Eventually, I plan on getting an Olympian propane heater. I guess a lot of this could be avoided by staying out of cold weather areas, ha ha!

Thanks for the info on the holding tanks. I’ll probably dump and rinse anyway since our community has a dump station at our little campground.

I’m starting to think of the converter cycling as white noise anyway. Good to know it’s functioning as designed!

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Hey, whaddaya know? It works!

Ron, you were right. It’s a sunny day and I’m up to 12.9 volts now in the RV!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16

"The little electric heater I'm using now is having trouble keeping up so I'll take a look at the one you referenced."

For what it's worth, I found that in my midbath, two electric heaters running on low or medium setting, one at each end of the rig,  do a better job than one heater running on high. You get better overall heat distribution that way.

I use the cheap heaters that are available for fifteen or twenty bucks, such as this Black and Decker model. (I haven't used this particular one, but have used others of this type.) Any resistance heater is by definition 100% efficient at converting electricity to heat, so choosing one is a matter of price, features, and convenience. I learned to avoid the type with a small, dense block in the middle, as those clog rapidly with limit and pet hair and are very difficult to clean (see photo). A simple coil of resistance wire works as well as anything, in my experience, and is easy to blow clean.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #17

Mine is pretty much the same as the one Andy has, I'm using this one on my workbench. A few minutes on high, then down to low and it keeps my 15x8 shop liveable.  ;)  :)

Amazon.com: andily Compact Portable Ceramic Space Heater- with Adjustable...

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Greg, the only drawback to that unit is it is all to portable and my wander off in populated areas.  Just something to keep in mind.
I opted for the hardwired one.
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #19
Greg, the only drawback to that unit is it is all to portable and might wander off in populated areas.  Just something to keep in mind.
I opted for the hardwired one.

When I was still working on LDs, a hardwired surge protector was always on my recommended list, the portable surge protectors have no advantages in comparison, other than not needing installation.
Being thief-proof and totally automatic are a hard-wired surge protector's greatest benefit.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #20
I have a portable surge protector. One pro that has helped me a few times is being able to check the power in a spot "before" I park.

I can detach my toad and drive around with the surge protector and check several of the spots I like best.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #21
"When I was still working on LDs..."
----
Wait...you retired!?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22

"I can detach my toad and drive around with the surge protector and check several of the spots I like best."

Or you could use a $14 pocket outlet checker. :-)

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #23
Just to follow up on my earlier posts about using the heat pump while plugged into the house. I was able to run it with no Ill effects and very little voltage drop.  The EMS/Surge Protecter showed 117V at it’s lowest but I only ran the pump for about 10 minutes.

I’m still concerned about the voltage the Bluesky unit is showing after a sunny day and being plugged in, 12.3 volts at 8pm this evening. Hoping my batteries are not going bad after less than 4 years.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Just to follow up on my earlier posts about using the heat pump while plugged into the house. I was able to run it with no Ill effects and very little voltage drop.  The EMS/Surge Protecter showed 117V at it’s lowest but I only ran the pump for about 10 minutes.

I’m still concerned about the voltage the Bluesky unit is showing after a sunny day and being plugged in, 12.3 volts at 8pm this evening. Hoping my batteries are not going bad after less than 4 years.
"I'm still concerned about the voltage the Bluesky unit is showing after a sunny day and being plugged in, 12.3 volts at 8pm this evening. Hoping my batteries are not going bad after less than 4 years."

Why don't you call the Blue Sky help line and have a chat with a tech.

Chris

Formerly: 2002 30' IB