Skip to main content
Topic: Brown sludge on tranny dipstick (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic
Brown sludge on tranny dipstick
Checked my transmission and found brown stuff ( looks like a brown sludge) on the dipstick, the oil is red , was talking with the camp host ,,, he googled it and it said the sludge came from the tube that the stick is in going to the transmission, it is right next to the exhaust and it burns the fluid in the tube leaving residue in the tube?  Any experience on this guys and girls
2005 Mid Bath

Re: Brown sludge on tranny dipstick
Reply #1
I recomend draining and refilling the transmission often due to condensation build up....the same issue with all fluids. Depending on how many mile and age of radiator it is possible you have the start of a leak in the radiator/transmission cooling portion. It is easy to drain the transmission , drive it and get it hot. Use a clean 2 gallon bucket and remove drain plug on trans pan. The easy way to know how much to pour back in is to find a 1 gallon plastic pitcher and pour dirty fluid to the 1 gallon mark. Then  empty pitcher and pour remaining fluid from bucket into it. Mark on the side of pitcher or with tape. You now know you can pour 4 quarts plus the amount equal to what is in the pitcher. If it's not exactly on one of the quart marks then empty the pitcher , wipe clean with paper towel add clean fluid to mark/tape line on pitcher. When done run trans and move shifter through gears, check for leaks and drive. Then check level and it should be on the mark if it was before change. If not add an ounce or 2 at a time. I do this every 10 to 15k miles if you are towing if not then every 20k or every 2 years. Dealers won't tell you how important this is because the want to sell repairs. Moisture is the enemy to every fluid filled  componet on an rv. Due to the low miles it is driven each year folks forget to go by time/age and this is a mistake.  Having 30k miles on a 15 year old rv is like having 120k miles . Having an rv that sits up accumulates condensation in fluids from temp changes.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #2
I recomend draining and refilling the transmission often due to condensation build up....the same issue with all fluids. Depending on how many mile and age of radiator it is possible you have the start of a leak in the radiator/transmission cooling portion. It is easy to drain the transmission , drive it and get it hot. Use a clean 2 gallon bucket and remove drain plug on trans pan. The easy way to know how much to pour back in is to find a 1 gallon plastic pitcher and pour dirty fluid to the 1 gallon mark. Then  empty pitcher and pour remaining fluid from bucket into it. Mark on the side of pitcher or with tape. You now know you can pour 4 quarts plus the amount equal to what is in the pitcher. If it's not exactly on one of the quart marks then empty the pitcher , wipe clean with paper towel add clean fluid to mark/tape line on pitcher. When done run trans and move shifter through gears, check for leaks and drive. Then check level and it should be on the mark if it was before change. If not add an ounce or 2 at a time. I do this every 10 to 15k miles if you are towing if not then every 20k or every 2 years. Dealers won't tell you how important this is because the want to sell repairs. Moisture is the enemy to every fluid filled  componet on an rv. Due to the low miles it is driven each year folks forget to go by time/age and this is a mistake.  Having 30k miles on a 15 year old rv is like having 120k miles . Having an rv that sits up accumulates condensation in fluids from temp changes.

Draining the transmission's pan only removes about 7 quarts of the total 20 quarts of fluid, it isn't what I consider a change, a total flush is suggested, using about 22 quarts of fluid. The filter should be changed too, requiring removing the transmission's pan.
Here is a link to a description and video on how it's done.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1222821-4r100-automatic-transmission-flush-pics-and-video.html

Flushing this way does not cause the problems sometimes associated with power flushing machines.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
I am speaking from a point that someone does replace the filter and pan gasket at 30k mile intervals. For example my 04 with 60k miles on it when I go it. It had 2 full services on the trans over its 16 years. I did one drain and fill once I got it and the after a 900 mile trip I did it again. Because I wanted the unit to have as much of fluid to be new as possible. No one recomend using the power flush machines on transmission new or old. The material that wears from the plates drops into the screen and when power flushes are performed that debris gets pushed into places and can cause problems the valve bodies. The drain and fill just keeps fresh fluid in unit. Same with brake fluid. I have the system flushed every 2 to 3 years but once a year I use a large syringe and syphon all the fluid from the reservoir ( down to a 1/4 inch so as.not to get air in system) and fill with a fresh bottle of appropriate brake fluid. This helps keep moisture out of the system . This does not say you don't have to do normal brake flushes it is just to enhance the upkeep preventive maintenance you are doing. The do the same thing with the power steering fluid ( using a syringe used only for power steering..with a small hose attached. ) I get the system warm and remove old and add fresh.  While running move steering wheel back and forth to full stop the remove more fuild and add back. Preventive maint and documenting what you do in a notebook  will help you keep up with all your vehicles. It will help you sell them when the time comes. I get the notebooks at the thift store for 99 cents and purchased a hole punch to enable me to put everything in it. I have sections  for the mechanical engine, sections for the components (fridge, water heater, heater, generator, etc.) Sections for roof, windows, hinges, etc. Nothing sells like receipts, documented maint and pictures. I have sold houseboats, campers cars, scooters, lawn equipment over the years and when I bring out the "notebook" the sale proceeds because I am an informed seller and they are an informed buyer. Being honest about what you are selling goes a long ways...Karma is a bitch.
2016 Twin King 24ft
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #4
No one recomend using the power flush machines on transmission new or old. The material that wears from the plates drops into the screen and when power flushes are performed that debris gets pushed into places and can cause problems the valve bodies. The drain and fill just keeps fresh fluid in unit.

The method I described isn't power flushing doesn't cause these problems, it uses the transmission oil pump, at idle speed, to move fluid in its normal direction, nothing unusual occurs.
Power flushing machines use much high volume and pressure to expedite the flush, causing debris to be spread.

For brake fluid flushing, I use a pressurized bleeding bottle to force the new fluid in and the old out, done every two to three years.
It's what we use used at in my working days for brake fluid and bleeding hydraulic clutches.
Amazon.com: Motive Products - 0100 European Power Brake Bleeder Kit: Automotive
Maintenance item- Brake system flushing

The power steering fluid get flushed every five years or so. An inline filter, on the brake booster return line, helps keep the fluid clean.
Amazon.com: Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission/Power Steering...

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
I worked in the the auto industry for over 30 plus years now retired.  I have first hand knowledge to what people neglect to do when it comes to maint on their vehicles. Due to not reading the manual or just not caring. The Gas and Go customers always want to blame the car....but it is almost always operator error. Not to say manufacturers are not making alot of "made to fail" or not tested long enough to put on the market. I have been physically shaken by some dangerous situations people have put themselves into....with kids in the car even....no brakes..rotors worn down to a ring bouncing around and using emergency brake handle to stop with....yikes....
Your home and your car are the most expenses purchases folks will make in their lives yet the research into buying them and maintaining them is small. Most give more time researching phone and tvs. But folks are.going to do what they want. My advice to buyers is assume it needs alot of work and pay accordingly. I found so much useful information on here to help me know what to look for because so much is alike on rvs but so much is also different and the major and minor problems can be found with a little research and time.
Thanks Larry for all you have posted on the forum and your blog. It sure helped me and I know it has helped others.
2016 Twin King 24ft
2004 Midbath 26.5