Skip to main content
Topic: Cost to replace sealant (was Employment Op) (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
Cost to replace sealant (was Employment Op)
I saw this on the FB LD page.

"My Lazy Daze is new-ish to me, and when I looked at the old sealant is was hardened, yellowing, and cracking. I tried to scrape/chip away at the old stuff, but it was clear that it was more of a job than I was able to do , especially with my arthritic hands. So I took it to my local RV shop and they did it. It came to 750.00, which was more than I was hoping, but I felt like it was an investment in the future. It took two guys a full day so it didn't seem THAT unreasonable. They used a sealant called Xtrm RV roof sealant "

Applying two tubes of sealant, $750!

[modified topic title to be more descriptive - Michelle]
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Employment Op
Reply #1
It's not $750 for 2 tubes of sealant, it's $750 for caulk AND labor. 

RV Techs around here charge $90-$110 per hour and they have more work than they can handle.  2 guys for a full day - I'm not shocked by the number.  There is real money to be made in trades right now. 

There's certainly some room to question if the job requires that much time, or to question if the workmanship is up to factory standards (link is broken, can't see if there are pictures...), but having someone else work on your RV isn't cheap.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #2
A friend had theirs done at the Mothership....$3000. $750 seems reasonable.

Reply #3
Rich, I well understand labor costs. My point is it was a ripoff and not uncommon. For those who can not do simple work on their RV's they are at the mercy of some unscrupulous businesses.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Rich, I well understand labor costs. My point is it was a ripoff and not uncommon. For those who can not do simple work on their RV's they are at the mercy of some unscrupulous businesses.

It's not unscrupulous unless they charged a high profit on the materials or billed for hours they didn't work or intentionally worked very slowly.

Shop rate at most RV shops we have been to are in the $120-140 per hour range.  It doesn't matter if it's applying caulk or replacing a major item - same hourly rate is charge for both jobs.

Some folks aren't comfortable or able to do their own work, particularly if it involves needing to use a ladder or get on the roof.