Skip to main content
Topic: Bilstein Shocks & Second Solar Panel (Read 411 times) previous topic - next topic
Bilstein Shocks & Second Solar Panel
Before I get the call that my turn has finally arrived to order my 31 LD (I hate the wait!), I need to figure out if I want/need a couple of the options, if anyone has experiences (good or bad) or advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Every dollar counts, plus the long I have to wait the higher the prices seem to rise.

Bilstein Shocks - I'm wondering if the standard Ford supplied shocks will work just fine, upgrade to the Bilstein (or some other shock) when the Ford shocks wear out. Or are they that good and I'd see the benefits on a 31 right out of the gate. They aren't a cheap option.

Second Solar Panel - I assume the standard solar panel that is included with a LD is sufficient to charge the batteries, does having a second panel just charge faster?

Thank you, I appreciate your input.
Have an awesome day!
Dan - on list for a 31' IB White/Sliver

Re: Bilstein Shocks & Second Solar Panel
Reply #1
Since you will be running close to the maximum weight of 14,500, the Bilstein shocks are worth considering.   Another option would be to try the stock shocks for at time and then research a shock to replace them if you aren't happy.  

The second panel of 115 watts doubles the solar power, so yes, it does just charge faster.   This can be important if the second panel allows you to maintain the batteries day to day in a boon docking situation rather than having to run the generator daily to keep from "loosing ground" .    Another advantage, generally, is that your batteries are more likely to stay closer to fully charged rather than having them drop to a lower level then is desired.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Hi Dan; I'll let others describe the choice of shock absorbers.
The second solar panel, is to recharge your batteries faster. This is highly dependent on your camping style. If you spend each night in full hookups, you won't need another panel.  If you 'boondock' for many days at a time, and don't want to run your generator, more panels are a plus. A few members here have increased the panel numbers up into the 500 watt and over range. This is for more energy independence, and can cover the entire roof. Also very expensive, and usually adds more batteries, and/or different types such as LiFePO batteries.
  You have to go 'after market' for that. LD won't do that.  As Larry says, nobody ever complains that they have 'too much' solar.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Thank you all for your input/advice, it was very helpful. I have time to mull this all over, I suspect I won't get a call from Todd for at least 6 months, but it could be up to a year.

Thank you,

Dan
Have an awesome day!

Reply #4
I ordered the Bilstein shocks for our 2003 Mid Bath.  Hated them from day one.  Finally replaced them with NAPA  RV shocks.  Ride improved immensely and handling was better.  Think HARD before you spend the extra bucks.
2003 MB

Reply #5
For the heavier 31-foot I would definitely get Bilsteins.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
I like Frank’s suggestion of waiting and see how it rides first. But then again, if you don’t have any experience with what a good ride should feel like, it might be hard to tell.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Considering the input you have all provided, I think it makes sense to just go with the stock shocks that come with the Ford chassis. I have experience with my current rig, 31' Phoenix Cruiser, and it has the stock shocks that came with the 2017 Ford chassis; the ride so far has been very good. If I don't like the ride on my LD I can research shocks for motor homes and have them changed out if/when needed.

Thank you all for your responses.
Have an awesome day!

Reply #8
A bit off subject but I just hung a snowplow on my Toyota Tundra and the mounting bracket was bottoming out on our dirt road so I put Bilstein 5100s on the front which solved the problem.
After removing the plow and driving the pickup "naked" I was very impressed with how it rode and wish I had done this long ago.
Based on this experience I'm thinking these shocks on an RV would make a dramatic difference.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #9
Dan, I bought my MB in 2008 with the Ford shocks.  I am a full-timer.  My rig runs about 14,000.  About 2 years ago, I decided to replace the shocks, because they were 10 years old and I figured they must be worn.  Bilsteins were out of stock, so I went with Koni.  I noticed a difference, but it was not huge.  For me, the Ford shocks were a reasonable choice when I bought.  They lasted a long time and served me well.

Solar - there has been a LOT of back and forth about how much solar is enough.  It boils down to this.  As Ron said, if you are usually plugged in, there is no need for an additional panel.  If not plugged in, it depends mostly on your camping style.

I spend most of the year not plugged in.  The last time I was plugged in was in March.  I have a whole house inverter, 6 big AGM batteries, and 5 panels on the roof.  I wish I had room for one more.  I use a lot of electricity.  I sleep with a BiPap machine.  I have a DishNetwork satellite dish for TV, and with that I have a DVR that is on most of the time.  I use my computer quite a bit.  In the summer, I don't run my generator.  In the winter I run it for 60 to 90 minutes in the morning.  For me, 2 panels would be not nearly enough.  As to the sufficiency of one (or two) panels, nothing anyone says here, including me, means a thing without us knowing what your electrical needs will be.  You need to add up every electrical item, both 12 volt and 120 volt, estimate how long you will use it, convert the load and time to watt-hours, add them all up, then estimate whether you will be plugged in, and if not, where and when you will be camping.  Only then you can estimate how many batteries and how many panels you will need.  I KNEW that two panels would not be enough for me, so I ordered my rig with none.  That allowed AM Solar to get the most efficient placement for my 5 panels.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #10
Ken,

Great information, thank you. To date I have spent most of my time camping hooked up, but I hope to retire one day and spend some time off grid camping with my Jeep. I assume I could start with the two offered by LD, and add panels in the future if needed; this way there would be wiring installed from the initial build which I would think would make it easier and less intrusive to add to the two existing panels if needed.

Dan
Have an awesome day!

Reply #11
Dan, maybe, but probably not.  LD would put in wiring ample for two panels if they do the second panel, and one panel if they just do one.  If you put a few more panels up top, the wiring would probably be undersized for the greater amperage, and new wiring would be needed.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #12
Unless of course you wire them in series.  Then current for 2 is the same as 1, and wiring should be just fine, and the fact that LD uses a mppt  solar controller, its no problem to do.

Rich
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #13
A question for the group.  How does LD wire 2 panels?  Series or parallel?  If parallel, the wiring should be fine for 2 more panels in a series/parallel configuration.  If they wire them in parallel, then you are probably pretty limited unless you add to the wiring.

Rich
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #14
It is obvious I need to do my homework on RV solar. From what has been said, I'm thinking the limitation to add more than the two LD panels would be the gauge of the wire LD uses for the solar install. If this is correct, when my time comes up for my build I wonder if LD would be open to running a lower gauge (higher amperage) than the standard wire they run for solar. I'd drop off a spool on my dime. Probably not, but is can't hurt to ask.
Have an awesome day!