Skip to main content
Topic: Faded paint can it de restored.(2007mb) (Read 239 times) previous topic - next topic
Faded paint can it de restored.(2007mb)
Anybody tried if so what works?

Re: Faded paint can it de restored.(2007mb)
Reply #1
I have tried to help others with red, and my rig with silver.  We were not successful.  The key is preventing the fading by regular maintenance.  Once it goes, it does not come back, at least not that I have seen.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
My understanding is that the worst colors for fading are silver, followed by red.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
I have tried to help others with red, and my rig with silver.  We were not successful.  The key is preventing the fading by regular maintenance.  Once it goes, it does not come back, at least not that I have seen.

Ken F in NM
Coconut oil does make a faded LD look nice and shiny until it dissipates. I will go out on a limb and say that unless you use your LD lightly and keep it in an enclosed structure when not in use, it will fade. I've never understood the love affair with Imron paint. It fades. Non-Imroned older vehicles' paint, if polished/waxed regularly, seem to look much better. Perhaps it's the LD's before-painting surfaces that are the problems. Just my opinion, of course.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
As Ken said, when the color is gone, it's gone. Three choices:

1. Live with the fading.
2. Polish the faded paint so you have sort-of-shiny-for-a-week-or-so faded paint.
3. Re-paint the rig. ($$$)

Of traditional paint jobs, blue and tan last best; green is in the middle. Red and silver are the most fade-prone. But, my experience is with the traditional paint and paint scheme; the swoopy, swirly "modern" paint jobs may have increased resistance to fading.
2003 TK has a new home