Skip to main content
Topic: Heater Thermostat  (Read 1336 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Heater Thermostat
Reply #50
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. The 5,500-BTU P12000 weighs 22 pounds. Full specs are on this page. The smaller 4,500-BTU P9000 model weighs 15 pounds.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #51
Just installed the Honeywell heat only thermostat. Install was pretty simple but there are a couple differences between the old Suburban unit and the new one. For starters the the Honeywell is white and the Suburban is black but that’s a minor detail in my view as the benefits far outweigh that difference.  The orientation of the base plate screws are different between the two models so you have to drill new holes.  I was able to cover up the old holes with the new base plate. Tested it out and it works so much better than the Suburban mechanical thermostat. It’s nice to know that when you switch it off, it’s off, and that you can adjust the temperature to an exact setting instead of guessing as we had to do with the old thermostat. Makes me glad that the old one broke and gave me an excuse to upgrade.  Very simple but effective upgrade that anyone can make!

Edit: for some reason my photos are pixelated, don’t know why.

Edit #2:  Just a note that the two wires connect to the baseplate, not the thermostat.  Forgot to get a photo of that.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #52
"for some reason my photos are pixelated"

It's happened to me as well in the recent past, but only intermittently. When I re-uploaded the image in question, the blocky artifacts didn't recur, so you could try that. Meanwhile, Steve is working on tracking down the problem.
Andy Baird

Reply #53
Thanks, Andy.  Let me try uploading a different photo of the size difference between the two units.  They are essentially the same width but, as you can see, the Honeywell is about two inches longer.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #54
Your new upload came through OK. The unpredictability of this problem makes it hard to troubleshoot. If you look at reply #32, earlier in this thread, you'll see two versions of exactly the same photo, uploaded exactly the same way--one with blocky artifacts, the other without. What made the difference? I dunno. But again, our hard-working moderators are trying to figure it out.
Andy Baird

Reply #55
Getting ready to do this upgrade as well. I assume the baseplate is labeled fairly easily? Red to red and white to white? No way to screw it up right? :D

Just installed the Honeywell heat only thermostat. Install was pretty simple but there are a couple differences between the old Suburban unit and the new one. For starters the the Honeywell is white and the Suburban is black but that’s a minor detail in my view as the benefits far outweigh that difference.  The orientation of the base plate screws are different between the two models so you have to drill new holes.  I was able to cover up the old holes with the new base plate. Tested it out and it works so much better than the Suburban mechanical thermostat. It’s nice to know that when you switch it off, it’s off, and that you can adjust the temperature to an exact setting instead of guessing as we had to do with the old thermostat. Makes me glad that the old one broke and gave me an excuse to upgrade.  Very simple but effective upgrade that anyone can make!

Edit: for some reason my photos are pixelated, don’t know why.

Edit #2:  Just a note that the two wires connect to the baseplate, not the thermostat.  Forgot to get a photo of that.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #56
Getting ready to do this upgrade as well. I assume the baseplate is labeled fairly easily? Red to red and white to white? No way to screw it up right? :D

Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can!   ;)
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #57
Yup simple install but unfortunately couldn’t cover both holes due to the wiring hole location and where they come through. I put a screw back in it’s place instead of a bare screw hole 🤷. A great upgrade but sure wish it was black to match the rest of the electronics.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #58
Joe, mine just barely covered the old thermostat.  Perhaps yours is a bit larger?  If you really want it black, you might try painting it with some spray paint for plastic.  I believe Krylon makes some.  In my case,  I might try and find a white cover for the Dometic AC/HP controller.  That's the only other component on that wall.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #59
I installed my new heat thermostat today and my dad “Lazy Bones”  just sat and watched me. Removed old and installed new in less than 15 minutes 😊
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #60
Looks awesome!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #61
Just installed the Emerson today. Love it!
Steve
2003TK

Reply #62

Just installed the Honeywell this week, also love it!    Install super easy 😁

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Nonprogrammable Heat Only Thermostat, White
Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Nonprogrammable Heat Only Thermostat, White - -...
      Daryl

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Daryl 
2007  26.5’ mid-bath, “Blu Tent“
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
  (previously 2006 23.5’ front lounge)
SKP #145689