Skip to main content
Topic: Propane tank service valve (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane tank service valve
The propane tank service valve on my 2003 TK failed recently, leaking when the valve was turned on. This is not repairable; the service valve has to be replaced. This is the service valve replacement (for the 2003; earlier and later models may use the same valve, but check for the correct application):

Manchester Tank V20373 Propane Tank Service Valve POL X 3/4" NPT

The service valve was available from very few sources; a few places, including Amazon, listed the valve, but it was out of stock. The replacement valve above was available from the RV Upgrade Store.

The replacement was done at a local shop; the part is not expensive, but the repair process is (at least in my local area). This repair that should be done by qualified techs and consistent with strict safety protocols, particularly if propane bleed-off is required.

I can't offer a reason for the failure of the valve (neither could the shop), but, apparently, the packing inside the valve around the valve handle wore out. The valve handle has always been turned either full on or full off; I learned very early on that the "advice" to turn the handle back a quarter-turn after opening was bogus.

Just a suggestion: you may never need to have the service valve on your LPG tank replaced, but since this particular valve is inexpensive and seems not to be readily available (and it's the correct valve for your application), it might be a good idea to add it to one's list of "spares".

YMMV, as ever.
2003 TK has a new home