Skip to main content
Topic: Cab Ladder Renovation (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
Cab Ladder Renovation
I mentioned to my neighbor (master wood craftsman and engineer) that my Cab Ladder was difficult to climb, and very hard on the feet.

The photos below show his finished work.  The ladder is now usable for us, although we mostly use the upper cab as a Kitty Condo.

I have all of the parts taken off of the ladder (treads, rubber covers, and pins) and will  gladly give them to any LD Owner for free, if you pay the shipping.  The parts are (as new) for anyone who can use them.

Cheers!

Tony R (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Re: Cab Ladder Renovation
Reply #1
Once upon a time in the Eighties, the ladders supplied with Lazy Dazes had wide, carpeted treads. But long ago they switched to ladders with narrow, hard metal treads that as you say, are very uncomfortable for bare feet. I rebuilt a ladder for the late Bill Haas by making wooden treads that slipped into place atop the metal ones. The wooden pieces were slotted to let them fit between the side rails, and we stapled carpeting over them.

This was a big improvement, but there's one thing I'd do differently if I were doing the job again: make the treads parallel to the floor, not perpendicular to the side rails. If you do as I did and your woodworker friend did, the treads are at an angle to the floor when the ladder is leaned against the upper bed, and that's not comfortable. Look at a stepladder and you'll see this is how they're made.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Cab Ladder Renovation
Reply #2
"...there's one thing I'd do differently if I were doing the job again..."

Thanks Andy, you are correct once again. That flaw caught my eye too but you were quicker to respond!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!