Skip to main content
Topic: "RV College"/ RV Tech Course Recommendations? (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic
"RV College"/ RV Tech Course Recommendations?
Thinking about getting some more detailed technical education about the systems aboard our 2019 LD and diagnostics/repair training.  In Nor Cal, but willing to travel for high quality faculty.  A quick search brings up Terry Cooper's RV tech courses ("The Texas RV Professor") About the Instructors - RV Tech Course.   Anybody been?  Any recommendations for a good RV systems/repair course?  Any that weren't so good?

Dave & Lee
2019 27MB, HEYBUBU
2019 Mid Bath

Re: "RV College"/ RV Tech Course Recommendations?
Reply #1
This seems like over kill to me.  Read the manual carefully and be sure you understand it.    Any questions you may have can be asked here.  If you repair or upgrade something, be sure you understand what is going on even if you are paying someone to do it.  Understand the basics of electricity - AC/DC  stuff.   And from there it's learn as you go.   Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2

You could start at the library and see if they have any RV books.  This one is good, but perhaps hard to find in 2020:
By Gary Bunzer - RV Owner's Handbook (Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook) (4...

Also, youtube can be a valuable resource. 

Unless you want a certification of some sort, or appreciate the structure and accountability of a formal class, there is plenty to be learned on your own.

RV shows usually have a number of entry level technical seminars for free, if RV shows ever start up again.

Rich

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 MB

Reply #3
Three books in my “RV library” that I can recommend.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I second the motion from Rich about the value of YouTube videos!

I've learned a few things  ;)  from the link below:

RV Like A Pro! - TheRVgeeks
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Let me toss my hat in doing a 'internet' search.    This 'internet' thing is a blessing and a cruse.    With a tad of time you'll be able to find just about all you need.   
And if I may praise this forum a bit -- there are some very smart and experience folk willing to 'share' here.    <smile> us old folk got lots of opinions AND have no issue sharing them.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
I find the Lazy Daze very straight forward and nothing to intimidating. My buddy bought a brand new brand X and I'm here to tell you it will be a nightmare when it starts to break down. Everything controlled from a touch screen, right down to the outside porch light. If you want to study anything study Electronic computerized systems, the rest can be figured out with a little common sense.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #7
There is a newly posted you tube video about RVTech school and discusses if worth money or not.  Posted by “You, Me and the RV”.
2006 MB

Reply #8
Hi all,
I have looked at the Escapees RV Club education resources. Has anyone tried their courses?
 There is an on-line 'university' and an in-person course:
Escapees RV Education Resources - Escapees RV Club[/url]

lwhiteside
on the list
currently we have an Aliner travel trailer

Reply #9
lwhiteside,
We did the Escapees bootcamp - in person - before they had the online course.
We did this before we owned an RV but had rented an RV two times in the prior 10 years (yup, we knew just about nothing about RVing).
The course was multiple days long.  Some of the courses were specific and not something that applied to everyone (e.g. Motor Homes or Towed RVs).
The courses that applied to everyone (eg RV systems, safe driving, etc.) were general intros to the topics because they had to cover all RV brands and types of RVs.
The info was more tips.  For example, safety driving was a course (about 2 hours long), they ran over about 35 items in that time, so each one got just a few minutes.  Same for a course that covered basic systems.

The course I went to was customized by the person who presented it, so you got their view of the world (which may or may not match your view or others on this forum).  E.G. This is the best tank hose to use, or disconnect  your truck/chassis battery when boondocking so you won't run it down while using the coach. Others on this forum might have different opinions.
Some info I liked (e.g. foam fire extinguishers), other info I now would disagree with (e.g. they said replace your tank sensors right away as they won't work right, we found how to clean our original sensors and keep them clean with little effort).

If you are new to RVing I think there is a value and if I remember right you got to come back to a second in person bootcamp for free.  However, if you have used an RV for a few years and you read info in RV forums, likely you will know a lot of the info but it could be a good review.   The online courses I saw before, I was told was just video tapes of the in person courses and the price was pretty reasonable.  Looks like they are redoing it, so things might change.

I am sure much of the same information is already in the forums/companion and if you brought up any of the topics you would get more in depth info that is specific to LD info and also get varying opinions (e.g. some like installed surge protectors, some like ones you plug in each time).

Jane

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #10
Thinking about getting some more detailed technical education about the systems aboard our 2019 LD and diagnostics/repair training.

Are looking for a second career or really just being able to quickly get back on the road if a system goes belly-up? If the latter, then this forum and the internet in general hide a lot of valuable info, as long as you are careful and are willing to spend the time. If the former, then any experience and comfort level you have with home and auto repair can translate into servicing and repairing your on-board systems too. Most of us here who do extensive repair and maintenance fall into this category - not RVIA certified, but probably equally or more competent than most who are...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
I did the course in Athens Texas -- here's my review!
I learned a lot, and have since solved many of my own problems but agree -- this forum (plus the old archives) and its members are the GREATEST, always willing to help.
MJB
Marcia Boynton
2005 26.5 RK
Adrian and Northport, MI

Reply #12
Very well done report, Marcia! 👍
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Nice report indeed. Thank you!
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL