Skip to main content
Topic: Power outlet cover flapping in the breeze (while driving) (Read 424 times) previous topic - next topic
Power outlet cover flapping in the breeze (while driving)
One my last trip, I noticed the shore power outlet cover flapping in the breeze as I drove down the road.  I have never had this problem before.  My 2003 has the circular Marinco type shore power plug that has since been replaced by the SmartPlug style in newer coaches. 

Years ago, 'bumper' posted about attaching magnets from an electric toothbrush to both the cover and the base in order to secure the cover and keep it in place.

Has anyone else done this?  I have the magnets, but every place I look to secure/attach them seems to be in the way of the inserting the actual power cord. 

Suggestions from anyone who has solved this issue before?

Thanks,
Rich

2003 MB

Re: Power outlet cover flapping in the breeze (while driving)
Reply #1
The mothership solves it by aiming a heat gun at the non latching lid and bending it enough by hand so it latches.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #2
One my last trip, I noticed the shore power outlet cover flapping in the breeze as I drove down the road.  I have never had this problem before.  My 2003 has the circular Marinco type shore power plug that has since been replaced by the SmartPlug style in newer coaches. 

Years ago, 'bumper' posted about attaching magnets from an electric toothbrush to both the cover and the base in order to secure the cover and keep it in place.

Has anyone else done this?  I have the magnets, but every place I look to secure/attach them seems to be in the way of the inserting the actual power cord. 

Suggestions from anyone who has solved this issue before?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, mine finally blew off and I put the center lid of a Mason jar canning lid inside the black locking ring and it snugs up just fine.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
I, too, experienced the shore power cover on our ‘15 RB flapping in the wind a couple of years ago.

I solved the issue by cutting Velcro (Hook & Loop)  in the shape of a crescent and attached the crescent Velcro at the inside lower edge of the shore power cover. I built up enough Velcro to insure that each part would make good contact. A low tech solution to the problem.

Velcro and Duct Tape-I never leave home without either.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
I used a heat gun (actually, a hair drier) to warm up the plastic lid just enough to slightly deform it so that it latched more securely. I had no problems after that.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
I used the heat gun solution and it worked great.  No flapping on a 2+hr drive today and I can feel the latch catch much better than before.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #6
I need to give our power inlet cover the heat gun treatment.
I'm surprised it hasn't broken off already.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Mothership had the newer stainless electric cover and plug complete a few months ago on their store display.

Would seem removal of the old, and simple cable attachment to the screws on the new unit.  And it looks good.

Just a thought

Tony R (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #8
Mothership had the newer stainless electric cover and plug complete a few months ago on their store display.

Would seem removal of the old, and simple cable attachment to the screws on the new unit.  And it looks good.

Just a thought

Tony R (aka codefour)
I think Andy Baird made this swap on his Lazy Daze. Perhaps he would share that post again.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Joan

This looks like a pretty neat product.  Every plug I have ever had/used has waddled holes in the female plug and the appearance of some deformation.

$149.00 bucks seems good insurance considering the downside to electrical shorts or worse.

Maybe a member(s) who have made this conversion will comment on the conversion task for those of us extremely NON-electricity minded folks.  i.e. changing the male connection on the LD, and adding the plug on the 30 amp cord.

Thanks for the info.

Tony R (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #11
This post gives some information about my SmartPlug installation  on my midbath.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"