Skip to main content
Topic: Here we go again! (Water damage)  (Read 387 times) previous topic - next topic
Here we go again! (Water damage)
Let me begin by saying I hope this thread does not discourage lazy daze ownership. 

Many of you have likely stumbled upon my thread a few years back regarding major water damage to the rear of my 26.5 RB due to end cap/rear window water leaking.

Over the summer I noticed some water staining on the panel that covers the battery box underneath my forward dinette seat.   I was unsure if this was due to water intrusion or large amounts of condensation around the battery box, I marked the stains (no actual rot was present) and waited to see if the problem progressed.

Well, of course a few months later I can confirm we have water Intrusion. There Is a blog (the old essay?) where a couple had massive rot that required removing the side skins of the camper, this was nearly the exact model/year as ours and the rot they were experiencing was in the same area I am addressing.

As a precursor I would like to confirm all the windows on our rig were sealed with some high quality clear sealant by the original owners, this sealant has held up fantastic and I genuinely don’t know how water has made it past, I suspect water is not always leaking in but more or less in driving rain/washing the rig.

We have removed the dinette, dissected the sliding couch, and begin cutting out walls.  To our surprise we actually caught this early enough to be in pretty good shape. Overall we have some Luan Delamination on the aluminum skins, and some stained wood framework. Zero actual rot appears to have started so the skin Luan will be scrapped off, and a new piece glued to give the skin some structure. I actually can’t scrape it off completely because the delam is only partial, this is good news.

We will be buying new window gaskets, bedding them in sealant, and then sealing around them. I assume water has been sneaking it’s way into the window framework from the seams in the body, I have attached a photo of how those seams are designed for anyone interested, truth be told I think removing the windows and installing new gaskets and sealant is likely the best way to avoid this situation.

The only bummer with a repair like this is cutting walls apart, being in NC I have no interest in trying to source the correct wall board so we will just be placing some Luan painted white. I also plan to add a little framing to support the latch that holds the battery cover open (it was screwed into nothing but the side skin/Luan and I believe it was also a point of intermittent water intrusion. 

Obviously this gives me an opportunity to provide some insight on specific construction details of the lazy daze so feel free to ask questions/request photos.  We use this rig 1-2 weekends a month, it has high mileage, but we can’t imagine trying to find a better RV for our lifestyle, jobs like this simply give us confidence that hopefully our lazy daze will be ready to continue service in the coming years!
2000 RB

Re: Here we go again! (Water damage)
Reply #1
Really enjoyed all the pics of your last project. Hope you post pics of this one too.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #2
Water intrusion evidence
2000 RB

Reply #3
Window frame removal, obvious stained wood (pics make it look worse than it is)
2000 RB

Reply #4
Wall removal (the hardest part of working on a lazy daze is how thoroughly every single part is glued together....it’s a wonder they ever leak at all)
2000 RB

Reply #5
You guys certainly have the ability to come up with interesting projects. At least this time you have a better covered area.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #6
Disassembled the couch, cutting the wall from both sides of the framework so I can scrape any loose Luan from the aluminum skin from both sides. Any loose Luan can get lodged between the camper skin and the framework causing unsightly bubbles in the side walls.

Also here you can see what is under the rear bath couch structure. For those interested. This will all be cleaned up before reassembly.

This also gives a view of the metal roll bar (1/3) included in the super structure...a nice touch
2000 RB

Reply #7
Windows are out! Now we just scrape and clean everything up and reassemble.

No water looks to be sneaking into the forward window, but removing and resealing is obviously the smart approach. We will likely end up pulling the overhead drivers side window also and resealing..just to be sure.

Attached is a photo showing the overlapping aluminum skin structure, this intersects with the window framework and lazy daze globs it in sealant to make sure water doesn’t work it’s way through this seam.  Like all things, a job done properly doesn’t mean it lasts forever.
2000 RB

Reply #8
You guys certainly have the ability to come up with interesting projects. At least this time you have a better covered area.

Jon

Haha I guarantee we would avoid these projects and spend the time camping if we could!
2000 RB

Reply #9
Haha I guarantee we would avoid these projects and spend the time camping if we could!

If nothing else, your timing is good with the pandemic and all. Enjoying your posts!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
I agree - nobody can accuse the LD factory of being stingy with the glue.  I'm coming to the conclusion that hey are a glue factory that happens to built RV's on the side.

Victum of many many glued LD parts.....
glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #11

Obviously this gives me an opportunity to provide some insight on specific construction details of the lazy daze so feel free to ask questions/request photos.  We use this rig 1-2 weekends a month, it has high mileage, but we can’t imagine trying to find a better RV for our lifestyle, jobs like this simply give us confidence that hopefully our lazy daze will be ready to continue service in the coming years!

Thank you for taking the time to post the photos! This really helps newer members, like myself, understand and develop assurance in the quality of Lazy Daze motorhomes.
Sam

Reply #12
I'm sorry you have to do this, but I also really appreciate the pictures!  I should think about R/R of my '99 window frames. I did't see any tracking of water stains from above, I wonder if it might just be from inside condensation.  I know the back window and side windows of the TK can collect a lot of condensation water in cold situations. Neither of us have the dual thermal pane windows. I keep the FFan lid open 1/8" just to make sure there is some air exchange. I've set off the CO detector from cooking. I do live in a mostly dry climate, and I avoid colder weather when I can.
     Patterned vinyl wall paper as a contrast might work, or maybe a similar white. Also I might do WilsonArt (the old Formica) as a durable covering on the new luan.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #13
Did you figure out where the water was coming in?
From the pictures, it looks like the bottom right corner of the dinette window, since the staining looks like a ^ coming from about that area.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #14
Did you figure out where the water was coming in?
From the pictures, it looks like the bottom right corner of the dinette window, since the staining looks like a ^ coming from about that area.
Jane

More than likely either the bottom of the window as well as around the battery door latch and at the seams where the side skin meets the window...haha hard to know for sure so it’s all getting addressed
2000 RB

Reply #15
I really appreciate your posts and pictures.  I have a 91 RB and am having problems with leaking around the ceiling vents.  I’m working on putting new vents in and then will probably reseal the entire roof.  I also need to remove and reseal all of my windows since I already see wear.  So these posts are really helping me to see how these things are done.🙂
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo