Skip to main content
Topic: Adding an Auxiliary Heater (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic
Adding an Auxiliary Heater
Has anyone considered installing an auxiliary heater, such as a Webasto or Propex (or Espar if your LD is a diesel)? 
It seems that when boondocking the batteries would last longer compared to using the (very noisy) furnace.  They seem to be frequently used in conversion vans.

Propex vs Espar vs Webasto Heaters For A Camper Van Conversion
Lance & Barb
2003 Lazy Daze 26.5' Mid-Bath; 2006 Saturn toad

Re: Adding an Auxiliary Heater
Reply #1

Have you considered a catalytic heater? Many of us run either a Wave 3 or the bigger Wave 6 heater. They operate on the coach's onboard propane system and are quiet, use no 12-volt power and are very efficient. Most are used with a 5-6' hose that allows moving the heater to where its needed.

Amazon.com: Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 3000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater:...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
We get by fine with a small electric "box" heater that works well when we have hookups and with a Buddy portable propane heater when we don't. With the latter it is important to leave a roof vent partially open, but it also has a safety shutoff to prevent insufficient oxygen levels. We also don't sleep or nap with that heater running. Sounds scary but it's not.

I think a lot of whether and what kind of auxiliary heat to have has to do with where and how you travel. Warm or cold weather, hookups or not. Before you go to the expense and effort of installing something permanent I'd try the portable options for awhile. You might learn a lot about how often you need extra heat, where it's best positioned and how much you need. And you might find that the inexpensive portable solutions are sufficient.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #4
Andy Baird installed a P12000 Dickinson Newport Propane Fireplace in his Airstream trailer.  I’d be very interested in getting an updated report on how it’s working out.  Andy, are you there? 😊

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #5
The article that "traveler1291925" linked to spells out the pros and cons pretty even-handedly. The gasoline- and diesel-powered Webasto heaters are noisy, they don't perform well at higher altitudes, and they build up soot--and cleaning them is a major pain. Since all Lazy Dazes already have propane systems, if I were going to install a heater of this type the Propex would be an obvious choice, since it has none of the Webasto's drawbacks.

Gasoline- and diesel-powered heaters are mainly used in trucking, where diesel is the fuel of choice, and marine applications, where propane is considered undesirable because any leakage will sink and accumulate in the bilge, leading to an explosion hazard.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
"I'd be very interested in getting an updated report on how [the P12000]'s working out."

Very well. It's not a substitute for a furnace, but as an auxiliary heat source it has advantages over the popular Wave 6. Although the BTU output is comparable to a Wave 6, the P12000 has a fan to move the heat around, and that make a big difference. The fan draws a fraction of an amp, compared to the six or seven amps drawn by the furnace. The P12000 is self-venting (via its coaxial stovepipe), so there's no risk from carbon monoxide and no need to open a vent or window and let in cold air. And the cheery flames are pleasant to watch.

The P12000's main drawback is that it requires cutting a sizable hole in the roof for the stovepipe. (It's flexible, making it easier to route.) That's scary, but I did it and haven't had any leaks to date. The P12000's fan is quiet, although it's not silent like the Wave heaters.

And of course you have to have a place to mount it. (In a midbath, the angled wall by the shower would be a good place.) Overall, I'm very glad I installed it.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Andy, I’m glad to hear that you’re happy with the Dickinson P12000 heater.  I’ve been seriously thinking of putting a Dickinson P9000 in the rear lounge/bed area of my new 27 MB (scheduled delivery June/July).  I ordered the MB with the 2 barrel chairs option and I’m thinking of putting the P9000 on the closet side wall, next to and above the single couch/bed.  Anyone have any thoughts about my plan?  For the kitchen area, a wave 3 on a quick disconnect and 6ft hose should be fine.

Thanks,
John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #8
A very helpful discussion of options to consider.  The main attraction for us of something like a Webasco is that they are vented and combustion byproducts are not released into the RV.  The issue of carbon monoxide, etc. is an important consideration due to a family member who has asthma and sensitivities.  It's not out of the question to install a Wave or use a Buddy, but it's not ideal. 

When we have electricity available we use electric heaters, but should we end up in a Walmart parking lot it seems prudent to have an alternative.

Thanks for the discussion.

Barb
Lance & Barb
2003 Lazy Daze 26.5' Mid-Bath; 2006 Saturn toad