Skip to main content
Topic: Marker light allowing water leakage  (Read 299 times) previous topic - next topic
Marker light allowing water leakage
There is a fellow with a 2007 MB on the LD Facebook group that is experiencing water intrusion into the upper bunk. Evidence is showing water is making its way past the marker light and into the interior.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Steve
Steve
2003TK

Re: Marker light allowing water leakage
Reply #1
It’s happened before, the light needs resealing.

Odd that there is a LD Facebook page when so many of the long-term forum member do not participate. If someone is looking for Lazy Daze advice, they would be better served asking here on the forum.
Is it a social site or one that allows off subject topics?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Hi There:  
 While  washing the roof of my 07. 31 ft. the other day and looking down the the running lights I was wondering about future
water leakage.  Do any of you  run a bead of caulk on the top edge of the light to prevent a intrusion of water at some late date?

Bob
2007 31 IB

Reply #3
Running a bead of caulk around the lens covers on the running lights would make the lenses more difficult to replace if they become weathered, cracked, or broken.

YMMV, of course.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Larry,

The Facebook page came up in my feed a couple weeks ago. They seem to be focused on LD. It’s called “Lazy Dazy RV Club.

He has a picture of the back side of the marker that has a black stain towards the top as evidence of it leaking. The other markers do not show black anywhere. The poor fellow, it’s quite a mess. He first noticed wet carpet in the little storage compartment and then started exploring for damage.

How would you go about resealing? I’ve taken a lens off a while back to address a loose bulb that wouldn’t stay lit. It didn’t look like the marker fixture itself would be too agreeable for removal and inspection but that was about a year ago so details are fuzzy

Steve

PS I tried to add the picture I spoke of but failed miserably. When I click on the image icon all I get is a request for a URL. I want to add a saved picture on my device. I’ve done this before but it seems I always have to relearn the trick!
Steve
2003TK

Reply #5
Steve, is this the photo you were referring to?

Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
It’s happened before, the light needs resealing.

Odd that there is a LD Facebook page when so many of the long-term forum member do not participate. If someone is looking for Lazy Daze advice, they would be better served asking here on the forum.
Is it a social site or one that allows off subject topics?

Larry

They mostly focus on LD matters. Many have recently bought 30+-year-old LD's. I have noted at least two recent posts that vector folks here.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
I have been visiting the Facebook group and participated in the discussion about this leaking LD. Where the original poster of this thread (Steve...73gitane) may have gotten details wrong is that I think this particular owner is a 64 year old woman who was asking opinions about keeping or returning this rig. Apparently the previous owner has offered her the choice of repair or return the rig. She has other photos posted and to my eyes, the rot is extensive and more than just from a marker light with some darkness around it. My advise is to return this potential money pit.

This is another example of someone so desperate for a used LD that she didn't take the advice to have it inspected before purchase.

As Don mentioned, the Facebook group seems like a group of nice folks with an emphasis on older rigs. I think they like the ease of posting photos on that site.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #8
They mostly focus on LD matters. Many have recently bought 30+-year-old LD's. I have noted at least two recent posts that vector folks here.

Interestingly they would take questions about their older LDs to a group that does not contain members from this group who have extensive information about the older rigs. Steve, Andy and myself, among others, were long-term owners of LDs built in the 80s.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Larry,
Facebook is where youngsters (eg 50ish and younger) go to socialize online.   :D
Not something I have ever really gotten into but. Ire recently I have joined some groups there and that part I find useful.
For a Facebook user it is very easy to find new groups.

Same with RVillage though that is much newer so not well know. and the LD group there is not very active.  But again there are some good groups and it was built to notify you when a member of RVillage (or you can select only certain groups) is near you so you can go make friends.

So sort of like this forum vs the caravan, some people only are active in one, some only in the other and some both.  Depends what they want out of the group and how they like to connect to people.

Facebook Users are used to that format and use it regularly and there are a lot of good RV groups on it  - many being more active than the groups other forums (eg xcapers). 

The Facebook LD forum talks a lot about where they have traveled in their LDs.   Less often questions come up about problems and repairs and when it does people are referred to this forum - very few people knew/know about this forum. It is difficult to compete with the visibility and popularity of Facebook which is a very popular and built for socializing with all your friends, relatives, frenemies, and also groups.
Though RVillage is doing well competing against Facebook (IMO).

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #10
Thank you HiLola, yes that is the picture. And thanks Steve for getting the details straight.

Steve
Steve
2003TK