Skip to main content
Topic: Loose furnace fuse (Read 130 times) previous topic - next topic
Loose furnace fuse
This was new to me, but merits sharing. 

With the colder weather that we are getting, I turned my furnace on.  At first, it didn't start, so I immediately cleaned the contacts.  No good.  I pulled out my multimeter and checked the voltage at the thermostat.  It was very low, about 0.3 volts.  So, I checked the voltage at the fuse.  As I touched the probe to the fuse, the furnace came on.  It ran well for a few cycles, then again did not come on.

I sat and thought, then I went to the fuse panel and pushed on the fuse with my finger.  The furnace started.  AHAH!  A defective fuse, right?  Wrong.  I pulled the fuse and checked it.  It was fine.  So, I started to re-insert it.  I noticed that the lower part was snug but the upper seemed to have no resistance going in.  I removed the fuse and carefully fitted just one side into the upper part of the socket.  It slid in with no resistance.

Somehow, that socket's upper part had developed looseness so the fuse was making intermittent contact.  A bit of careful work with needle nose pliers, and I had tightened that gap.  I slid the fuse in and since then, all is fine.  Now, just how that loosened, I have no idea.  I have never heard of that happening, but it did.

I now have a new item for people to check if their furnace is not coming on.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Loose fuse
Reply #1
Thank you for taking the time to post this information. I don't even own a Lazy Daze, but I feel more prepared each day with this group (for the day I take ownership of my new build).

Sam
Sam

Re: Loose furnace fuse
Reply #2
Thank you for taking the time to post this information. I don't even own a Lazy Daze, but I feel more prepared each day with this group (for the day I take ownership of my new build).

Sam
And, Sam, just in case you are not aware of it, you can tuck these tidbits away by "bookmarking" them. I think I have about 10 pages of bookmarks, mostly to do with troubleshooting/maintenance/repair items. It's a valuable feature of this platform.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Loose furnace fuse
Reply #3
And, Sam, just in case you are not aware of it, you can tuck these tidbits away by "bookmarking" them. I think I have about 10 pages of bookmarks, mostly to do with troubleshooting/maintenance/repair items. It's a valuable feature of this platform.

Chris

The helpfulness of this group is beyond awesome. Likewise, the first hand knowledge gained by reading older posts is definitely better than any book.
Sam