Skip to main content
Topic: End cap thoughts (split from Re: 2021 Models and Pricing) (Read 60 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Non-member Classifie...
End cap thoughts (split from Re: 2021 Models and Pricing)
New suppliers for molded parts.....   maybe something could be done with a minor redesign on the corner pieces that would make them more resistant to cracking...     just saying.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Re: End cap thoughts (split from Re: 2021 Models and Pricing)
Reply #1
New suppliers for molded parts.....   maybe something could be done with a minor redesign on the corner pieces that would make them more resistant to cracking...     just saying.    Frank

Frank, are you referring to the exterior end caps?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
yes, front and rear.   Maybe a little thicker....   or different material..
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #3
The end caps need to be flexible as the coach twist on rough roads and due to expansion and contraction, caused by heating and cooling. Thicker, more rigid caps would conform less and be more likely to crack or pull loose. LD has had over 60 years to experiment with various cap formulations, adhesives and other ways of attaching them.
What we have now might be as good as it gets.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Hi Larry. I've never been a fan of ABS, which is what the tire cover and end caps are made of right now. At 21 years my TK is starting to have more issues with, so far, small cracks.  Fiberglas has been around longer and proven more reliable. Might still crack, and surface texture is an issue. An impact could shatter it.  More expensie and worst of all heavier. Still with more modern adhesives, like 3M 5200, might be better.
     I remember Kent had to have a crack fixed in a rear end cap at just four years old.  2013 front diinette 24 foot     If Steve has to find a new vendor, now might be the time to audition new ideas.      RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
My end cap cracked in a way similar to Kent's within months of the purchase.    It's the only issue I've had related to the manufacturing process.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato