Skip to main content
Topic: 2000 diesel ld for sale in tacoma wa (Read 767 times) previous topic - next topic
2000 diesel ld for sale in tacoma wa
hi- i sold my rig (2000 ld RB, diesel, 226,000 miles) a month or so ago.
the new owners are trying to resale it-fair enough (i thought they were dealers).(Add on craigsist-tacoma/seattle)
BUT they have somehow rolled the miles back from  226,000 to 43,000 or so.
what i want is for no one the believe the milage. i do wonder if i should bring this up to a gov agency but not sure who.
marta brock-and new to me 2011 rb
2000 RB

Re: 2000 diesel ld for sale in tacoma wa
Reply #2
yes, i can spot 6 o7 things that i put in or did to the rig. they did do some improvements -new blinds instead of the -old-shades, new carpet in the living room were i had put carpet.
i just HATE the lying about the milage.
marta
2000 RB

Reply #3
Marta - if there is a car fax report it might have mileage indicated if anyone reported it.
I also wonder if the DMV has any records of mileage.  Or if you could make a statement to the DMV where it is currently registered.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #4
How about contacting the Washington DMV?
It’s a Federal felony to roll back the odometer.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Besides mileage rollback,  says one owner and party model - I’d call them on it and contact any relevant powers that be.  Wondering if I Or any others here should reply To their scam.
1992 22' TK

Reply #6
Hi Marti, you got a lot of use out of it with a quarter of million miles. Multiply that by the number of dogs you carried and it might reach to Mars.

Cheers, D&D
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Could you also select  the "flag" option on the Craigslist ad?
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #8
Matt, the flag on craigslist now requires many different people to flag it to get taken down (e.g. multiple flags from one person doesn't take it down).
And if the ad gets flagged, the person typically just re-posts it, so it is a matter of chasing the ad.
If reported to the DMV/MVD, hopefully the person will find out when they go to register it.

I like to buy used vehicles at the DMV/MVD office, so the DMV/MVD confirms there is no lien and the person truly owns the vehicle before I hand over money.  However, depending on the state I don't know if they would have mileage information (if the state required regular inspections, I think they would and if I remember right even though we are in a state without regular inspections, they did notate the mileage when we took it by for it's first title with us appointment).

I believe I have also called and given a vin and said I was looking to buy the vehicle and they answered basic information like if there was a lien or not, but again that might vary state to state.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #9
i did call the dmv today and they had no help-only if the new owner reported it-and how would i find the new owner??!?!? they do not record any milage info on their records.
but after more calls, i went called consumer affairs- they are interested. and seem to be really after the add. they had me fill out a complaint form-we will see if anything comes from it.

if any one has questions-i have the vin number of my rig to compare.
thanks for all the info and ideas.
marta
2000 RB

Reply #10
I removed the last 2 messages in this thread because they were not relevant to the specific discussion of Marti's LD's rolled back mileage. This is a reminder that we are trying to stay on topic, and Judie, Larry and I thank you for being diligent towards that goal over the last week or so.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Besides mileage rollback,  says one owner and party model - I’d call them on it and contact any relevant powers that be.  Wondering if I Or any others here should reply To their scam.

I noticed that, too.  I would give them a call and talk to them about the discrepancies.  It would be interesting to hear what their explanation is for the changes, particularly the mileage.
Linda Hylton

Reply #12
As Larry said, mileage tampering is a Federal offence Odometer Tampering.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #13
How about contacting the Washington DMV?
It’s a Federal felony to roll back the odometer.

Larry

I did that in a similar instance in Seattle and the cop casually said yeah he's  known for doing that. Seems like it's one of those crimes they don't have time or resources to deal with.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #14
Unfortunately, I missed this post. Last Friday I flew out to Seattle to purchase this unit. Upon inspection, I saw a lot of red flags and passed on the deal. I guess I was lucky to trust my gut. I would gladly work with anyone who would be interested in trying to deal with this bad situation. BTW, I traveled all the way from Wisconsin:(
Gary
2005 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Did the play it off has a one owner with low miles and did you call them out on it.............
                             Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #16
as  first owner- i would love to help with this illegal attempt to sell. have contacted dmv-nope, consumer affairs- would only deal with a business that has a website-do you know??????? sent a complaint to  the federal business affairs-heard nothing. anymore ideas????? someone suggested state patrol but i have doughts.  its illegal to roll the odometer but i cant find who inforces that-any ideas?????
am so sorry you got swindled by nick  stein (is he still using that name?). at least you figured it out-does the roof still need to be done????
marta
2000 RB

Reply #17
He went by the name of Nick Steve. Claimed it was a one owner, owned by his elderly parents and that the 46K were original. He sent me a copy of the title if anyone would like to see it.

I know of two dealers in a nearby town that went to prison several years ago for spinning speedometers, so someone must take it seriously?

Marti, did you own the critter that chewed the ends off the shift lever and turn signal ends  :D
2005 Mid Bath

Reply #18
hi- a friend suggested i try car fax-will do tomorrow . am worried though the add is off craigslist. yes am frustrated as the odometer issue is so illegal.
yes, the chew marks/damage to shifter etc was done by the pup in the photo-when she was younger. assume you will recognize the knob.
one of my reasons for selling was realizing that i was not keeping up with the maintenance like i used to----

let me know if you have any other idea on how to get nick---------
2000 RB

Reply #19
hi- a friend suggested i try car fax-will do tomorrow . am worried though the add is off craigslist. yes am frustrated as the odometer issue is so illegal.

It must be frustrating seeing someone do that to something you owned and making a greater profit at someone else's expense.

I wonder about my LD, I bought it 11/2019. It had 82,XXX miles on it. I got a vehicle report months later.  It was titled in 1999 in Mass with just a few miles.  Around 2005 it was title in Florida with 82,XXX miles. I think exactly the same miles as when I bought it. They probably didn't turn it back to that amount, you figured they would go a bit higher. Was it not driven that long?
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath