Skip to main content
Topic: Tank of fuel (Read 519 times) previous topic - next topic
Tank of fuel
While reading a past discussion, I came across, "never driving on less than 1/2 a tank of fuel." Is there any other reason besides to never run out of gas?
Sam

Re: Tank of fuel
Reply #1
We really only drove on the "top half" of the tank when unsure of fuel availability like when driving to Alaska.  But I rarely let the gauge get much below about 1/4 before fueling.  The fuel pump is cooled by being submerged in the fuel.  I've heard that it is not good for the pump to frequently run it when the fuel is really low.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
The fuel pump just loves to be immersed, the generator won’t run when the gas tank is at 1/4 or less, and the more gas in the tank, the less moisture, particularly important if the rig sits for a while.

Others will offer additional information, I’m pretty sure.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Not running out of gas is a pretty good reason. LD mileage is generally less than 10 mpg. In unfamiliar territory, gasoline is often a precious commodity and it’s best to stay toward the top of the tank.

When traveling in such remote areas, I start looking for fuel when I’m dropping below 1/4 tank. 🥴

Better safe than stuck on the side of the road.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
I think some people follow that guideline when they are hauling a toad and don't want to feel forced into a station where they can't maneuver.

I run mine way below half, especially on highways where I know the truckstops.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #5
I want to start the day with a full tank, so I usually fill up just before going into camp.  For most days, which tend to be shorter unless pushing for a destination,  that means the tank doesn't drop below about half.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
I depend on two tools - my Garmin GPS, which I can use to locate gas stations up ahead on my route, and my UltraGauge, which tells me, with great reliability, how far I can drive on the amount of fuel remaining in the tank.  Generally, I try to fill with at least 100 miles of travel left in the tank, and my UltraGauge flashes a warning when I am below 15 gallons.  You can pick any number; that is what I use.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
I fill up when my bladder in 1/2 full. That usually corresponds to a fuel tank that is between 1/4 and 1/2.  I always keep the toad full when I am towing. If for some strange reason I ever ran out of fuel I would siphon gas from the toad.  I try to fill up on the out skirts of towns and cities to avoid traffic. I also usually fill up before I start camping so when I leave a spot I don't have to stop to gas up.

Randy
2018 31' TB

Reply #8
"If for some strange reason I ever ran out of fuel I would siphon gas from the toad."

I had the impression that most or all modern vehicles have anti-siphoning baffles in the fuel filler inlet. Have you actually tried this, Randy?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
"If for some strange reason I ever ran out of fuel I would siphon gas from the toad."

I had the impression that most or all modern vehicles have anti-siphoning baffles in the fuel filler inlet. Have you actually tried this, Randy?
 It is more difficult than in my high school days and you can’t just use a hose but you can siphon from newer  Fords.  You can go on YouTube for a demo.                               
2018 31' TB

Reply #10
Years back in the Northeast we would keep it above a half a tank to cut down on moisture in the tank and it freezing in the winter.  Now I am in Florida.
1) I still keep it above a half to keep moisture out.
2) I also look at it as a safety measure in case we get lost, rerouted or just can't find a station.
3)  If we get some gas that is not as good as it should be it will be diluted by was is in the tank already and will soon have more added to it.
Seems like a win win to not let it run too low.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #11
All the reasons above, plus I like to keep half a tank so I can pass some stations looking for a better price, especially when I am going to cross into a higher or lower tax state. Driving two hours will consume about half a tank and that's a good time to take a break.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #12
All the reasons above, plus I like to keep half a tank so I can pass some stations looking for a better price, especially when I am going to cross into a higher or lower tax state. Driving two hours will consume about half a tank and that's a good time to take a break.

When wondering when to get fuel, Gas Buddy come in handy to knows what's available down the road and the cost,
USA and Local National Gas Station Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

I always want a minimum of a half tank so the generator can be used, especially when at home. These days. just about any type of emergency is possible, fires, floods, earthquakes, you name it.
Moisture buildup in fuel tanks is minimal today with the fuel system being sealed from the outside environment. Older car's fuel tanks were vented to the atmosphere.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Gas is heavy. If I saw a steep grade in my near future and knew there was gas not to far from the summit I’d run the tank to nearly empty. Other than that I’d fill up between a quarter and a half tank.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #14
Gas is heavy. If I saw a steep grade in my near future and knew there was gas not to far from the summit I’d run the tank to nearly empty. Other than that I’d fill up between a quarter and a half tank.
I actually made an exception on our two week trip we did last month. It was a small hill in Arkansas, but I waited till the next morning to fill up.  We stayed at Petit Jean State Park.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #15

Gas is heavy, but not compared to the weight of the coach.

40 gallons x 6lbs  = 240lbs in a 12,500-14,000lb vehicle.  It's like having an extra person (granted, a big person) with you.

I doubt it makes a measurable difference. 

Just about anywhere in the lower 48, just buy gas at a station you like before you run out.  There's no need to make life needlessly complicated.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #16
Gas is heavy, but not compared to the weight of the coach.

40 gallons x 6lbs  = 240lbs in a 12,500-14,000lb vehicle.  It's like having an extra person (granted, a big person) with you.

I doubt it makes a measurable difference. 

Just about anywhere in the lower 48, just buy gas at a station you like before you run out.  There's no need to make life needlessly complicated.

Rich

I questioned your math thinking gas weighed the same as water. You're right I was wrong. Learn something every day. Today I leaned gas weighs less than water. :D
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #17
While I agree with all the stated reasons, it also depends on where you are traveling.    Driving on the top half of the tank in Nevada just makes sense.   It's a huge state, much larger than most folks realize.  And, there are long distances between towns/cities.   There's lots to explore and much to see but our wide open spaces don't always have "services".   It may be 100 miles or more to the next fuel or food.    Did I mention mountains and grades?    We're the most mountainous state in the Union.   All those grades eat gas at an alarming rate.    So, it pays to look ahead at the territory to be traveled.   And, in these current times, it's wise to consider a  particular service may not be available.    Driving on the top half of the tank means you won't get stranded.
Happy Trails,
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #18
Thank you, everyone, for all the information!
Sam

Reply #19
A few years back, we were the 'support vehicle' for our son on RAGBRAI (Bike ride across Iowa)... and on one of the days our plans were adjusted a bit when we spent the better part of the day in a Ford garage in Ft Dodge, Iowa (great dealership I might add).... because our fuel pump went out. Upon asking the mechanic at the Ford garage what caused this... he stated what Older_Fossil mentioned... that the fuel pump likes to be bathed in fuel... thus try not to let it go below 1/2 tank... and so... ever since then... as you might imagine... I get pretty antsy when the gas tank drops below 1/2... while my husband would rather hold out for his favorite gas stops on our familiar routes... and so there is that wonderful 'discussion' as we merrily LD down the road. ;-) Anyway, bottom line... we try not to ever let it go below 1/2.
🌅🌵🙏😊

Reply #20
Upon asking the mechanic at the Ford garage what caused this... he stated what Older_Fossil mentioned... that the fuel pump likes to be bathed in fuel... thus try not to let it go below 1/2 tank...

Long drives in summer heat can bake a fuel
pump that isn’t submerged in fuel, keeping the tank at least half fuel helps prolong its life.
I always want enough fuel to allow several hours of generator run time, you ever know what may delay a trip, traffic accidents or bad weather can cause delays of hours . In the summer, being able to run the roof A/C can make a long wait very tolerable.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze