Skip to main content
Topic: Twin bed vs double bed in 27 MB (Read 1352 times) previous topic - next topic
Twin bed vs double bed in 27 MB
I was looking at the specs for the 27 midbath. It lists sizes for the rear sofas when converted into twin beds, and I understand these can be joined to be a king, but then it also says gives dimensions for sofa bobble bed, and I have read several posts that seem to imply creating a full sized bed in back from one sofa, vice using 2 twins or creating a king sized bed. Can someone explain?

Re: Twin bed vs double bed in 27 MB
Reply #1
The rear sofas can be configured into beds that are 32", 36", and 50" wide according to factory specs.   Put them together and you have a bed that is slightly larger than a king.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Also you can configure the Mid-Bath couch on the passenger side to accommodate a RV Queen Bed 60" X 75".  We have done this but we removed the couch cussions from that side and with the RV Queen mattress in place you only have 5" of space between mattress and the couch on the drivers side.

Karen~Liam
           98 ~ MB
             NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #3
Also you can configure the Mid-Bath couch on the passenger side to accommodate a RV Queen Bed 60" X 75".  We have done this but we removed the couch cussions from that side and with the RV Queen mattress in place you only have 5" of space between mattress and the couch on the drivers side.

Karen~Liam
           98 ~ MB
             NinA

Can you please post a picture of this setup?
Thanks

Reply #5
We kept the twin bed arrangement in our 2015 MB and pull the couches together to make a king at night. works well. What was really important is that we talked Todd into adding a fold-up rear table which lets down between the couches during the day and folds up against the rear window at night. This gives us a great work space and also a great place for meals allowing the lovely 270 degree view while we are eating and just hanging out and allowing the cook to use the banquet table for food prep. At the time, Todd was reluctant even though that arrangement was used on the TK. It does require additional blocking in the rear put in during construction. Now, I think it is a standard option. It also has an extension so you can seat 6 good friends for dinner and they build a little place in the wardrobe so you can store the extension out of the way when not in use. I don't remember what they charged us, but it wasn't that much, and it has made all the difference in the pleasure and usability of the rig. Wouldn't be without it!
2015 MB

Reply #6
Sure I will post a photo soon.  We are remodeling the Kitchen and bath so the 98 ~ MB is pretty ripped up right now.

Karen~Liam
       98 ~ MB
          NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #7
Here are some photos of the new RV Queen Mattress we put in our 98 ~ MB a week ago.  We removed the rear lounge passanger couch cussions, pulled out the couch slide and put the RV Queen directly on the plywood frame.  As it turns out the gap between the drivers couch and the RV Queen is just 4 inches but it is soft and both Karen and I can move thought it fine even with sheets and a comforter.  We have had the couch cushions and a full size topper on it previously but this is way more comfortable for the two of us and Nina.  We have not changed the setup in the back permanently so if we want the lounge we would just put the couch cushions back.  The RV Queen is 10" high but we might try this setup with the couch cushions back in place to see how high that setup is?

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
            NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #8
Thanks a lot.

I am following this site for few years and saw similar setup in past but could not find that picture again. I will be very interesting in this setup but I am not a decision maker. I will pass the pictures to the boss.

You keep referring RV queen, is this different from regular queen mattress?

Thanks gain for taking the time posting the picture.

Reply #9
Don't know about the queen Karen and Liam put in,  but in my 31 Island Bed,   it is the queen of a *very* small country.
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #10
Thank you for taking the time to post this photo.

Here are some photos of the new RV Queen Mattress we put in our 98 ~ MB a week ago.  We removed the rear lounge passanger couch cussions, pulled out the couch slide and put the RV Queen directly on the plywood frame.  As it turns out the gap between the drivers couch and the RV Queen is just 4 inches but it is soft and both Karen and I can move thought it fine even with sheets and a comforter.  We have had the couch cushions and a full size topper on it previously but this is way more comfortable for the two of us and Nina.  We have not changed the setup in the back permanently so if we want the lounge we would just put the couch cushions back.  The RV Queen is 10" high but we might try this setup with the couch cushions back in place to see how high that setup is?

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
            NinA

Sam

Reply #11
Thanks a lot.

I am following this site for few years and saw similar setup in past but could not find that picture again. I will be very interesting in this setup but I am not a decision maker. I will pass the pictures to the boss.

You keep referring RV queen, is this different from regular queen mattress?

Thanks gain for taking the time posting the picture.

Mattress SizeDimensions (Inches)
RV Full or Double53 inches by 75 inches
Short Queen60 inches by 75 inches
Queen60 inches by 80 inches
RV King72 inches by 75 inches to 72 inches by 80 inches
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Since Nina is our Princess we had to get a Queen!

We do use the lounge as a lounge some times, before all we had to do was roll up the topper and remake the couch, so this new setup will not work for that.  We might try re-adding the couch cushions and see how that works but there will be that RV Queen Mattress to put somewhere when we are on the road?  We spent 3 1/2 months in our LD on the Oregon coast during the Covid 19 "stay in place" and figured we need a better mattress solution.

Karen~Liam
               98 ~ MB
                  NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #14
Since Nina is our Princess we had to get a Queen!

Thinking  about putting RV full topper (your previous setup). Full topper is wide enough for two of us and will give 7 additional inches between bed and couch. Was there any issue with putting 53 inch wide topper on 50 inch coach structure? Do you have a picture of your previous setup with full topper? Any recommendation for a comfortable topper? Guess buying a thickest topper I can find is not an option, bed will get too high with cushion, right?
Thanks

Thanks

Reply #15
Thinking  about putting RV full topper (your previous setup). Full topper is wide enough for two of us and will give 7 additional inches between bed and couch. Was there any issue with putting 53 inch wide topper on 50 inch coach structure? Do you have a picture of your previous setup with full topper? Any recommendation for a comfortable topper? Guess buying a thickest topper I can find is not an option, bed will get too high with cushion, right?
Thanks

Thanks

A search for "mattress toppers" will turn up some ideas.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Some time ago when we got our 98 ~ MB, we could not fit our chairs or folding table in the passenger rear storage area, it was not deep enough.  So I expanded the storage area into the lounge which made that couch deeper, thus when pulled out it extends wider.  I believe that the RV Queen that we put in now extends out only a few inches.  I do not know what the original area was when extended?  I do know that with the couch pulled out all the way now a double topper fits but there is a 5" to 6" gap at the wall so we got a piece of foam to fill in.  We got our latex 3" topper at ikea, their top of the line model but the cushions that make up the couch are a different thickness and density which was passed on to the topper.  This was kind of ok when we would only be on the road for a month but we stayed in place in our LD for covid-19 eighty days so we have decided to get the RV Queen and I don't think we will go back to the couch/topper setup for sleeping again.  You might consider 1/4"to 3/8" plywood to extend out your couch to accommodate the overhand?  If you put it on the top of the couch cushions and a use good topper 4" on top of the plywood you will have a more even subsurface for the topper?  Those pieces of plywood could be cut to the depth of the couch cushion and be stored under that cushion?

Kaen~Liam
          98 ~ MB
             NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #17
Chris,
Thanks. I actually researched earlier and saved few links of the toppers folks are using. All the topper discussions I found were for the King setup. I was not aware that full size setup was even an option and perhaps I might have missed that discussion.

Kaen/Liam,
Information you have posted is very helpful. Although LazyDaze website and manual do mention changing the sofa to 50x75 size bed and I failed to make the connection that discussion is about passenger side back sofa. After reading this thread we started thinking about the possibility of a permanent bed along with a sofa in the back. Though we do not have full size mattress at home but we went to the store and checked and I think we will be fine with full size mattress. First choice is to just put full size 4-5 inch deep topper on cushion but 3 inches topper hanging is an issue . I think instead of topper, a 14-18 inch mattress can work fine with 3 inch cantilever and if it does not work of course as you mentioned a plywood will do the trick. I do have enough information to make a quick decision and execution once we get the motorhome in December.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Reply #18
Mumammad, we bought our RV Queen mattress from Costco.com, they had a couple RV Queen models but many more Full size models, plus Costco delivers included in the price and if it does not work out you can return it to a Costco location.  We live on an island in the Puget Sound so visiting a mattress store could be an adventure!  Our RV Queen hangs over about 4" and is 10" deep without an issue so you should not have any problem for your thicker mattress setup.

Karen~Liam
       98 ~ MB
         NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #19
Thanks.

Mattress is in instead of topper, thanks for confirming that 4" hang over of mattress will work. I will also make use of the information that Costco.com keep RV size mattress, perhaps we can order in advance to get it delivered to my son's home in LA.

Take care,

Reply #20
Edit: No response needed. I just ordered a topper and which  we can customize/cut on our own. If topper does not work and we end up going with a mattress I will be looking for some customized store in future but for now we are set.
Regards,

For 27ft MB model, driver side sofa is 71 inch long and standard mattress size is 72 inch. I am sure there are many folks who join back two sofas to have a permanent king size bed (and this is my boss want as well). I followed previous discussion on this topic and I think I saw a message from Joan posted few years ago and followed the link for customize mattress shop. Guess that shop is out of business now. Any other pointer about customize mattress .... I don't think we want to cut the mattress one inch ... other option is to take the topper and then cut it but that is plan B and we still have little over three weeks to sort it out.

Mattress SizeDimensions (Inches)
RV Full or Double53 inches by 75 inches
Short Queen60 inches by 75 inches
Queen60 inches by 80 inches
RV King72 inches by 75 inches to 72 inches by 80 inches

Reply #21
"...a message from Joan posted few years ago and followed the link for customize mattress shop. Guess that shop is out of business now."
---
I ordered memory foam toppers from sleepwarehouse.com a few years ago; excellent products, free custom cutting, and free shipping (including the pieces cut off the standard size topper).

But, yes, it seems that they are no longer in business; don't know when or for what reasons, but vanishing businesses are increasingly common. However, there are dozens of other sources for memory foam mattresses and toppers in varying levels of price and quality.

I've cut memory foam after measuring and marking using a straight edge; a utility knife with a sharp (use a new blade) blade works. The cut will require more than one pass; try to keep the blade perpendicular to the line so you don't end up with ragged, "scallopy" cuts. I also suggest doing the cutting on a surface that's large enough to accommodate the entire topper, or at least one that provides enough area so the topper end/edge that's being trimmed is not draping over something or popping up. One might also want to put something under the cut line to protect the underlying cutting surface.

Some toppers come with a cover, or a cover may be available separately. Covering the topper will keep it cleaner and help prevent possible tearing. I made covers for the toppers out of heavy cotton and Velcro closures on the long side of the cover; if you remove the cover for washing, you will understand why the closures are not not on the short ends when you replace the cover.  (Having a helper is advisable.)

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
A serrated carving knife works well to cut foam, better than a utility knife. An electric carving knife is even better and is similar to what shops use to custom cut foam.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #23
Joan,
Thanks. I was going to look for other shops but then I saw Tempur-Pedic size of 80x76 and it took few seconds for decision maker that we need to cut five inches on one side and you are right, having a cover made the decision easy. For few things, I just let my better half make the decisions. If anybody is in the market Temper-Pudic has significant sale on toppers and pillows.

Joan and Larry,
I will save the instructions. I did not realize that there are electric carving knifes, I will look for it. I did lot of wood carving right after retiring but it heavily involved CNC wood router table, that expertise is not transferable here.

We are picking up RV four weeks from tomorrow. Planning on driving to LA, we will stop by in KS for two days to get the car ready for tow. We will park car in LA and will make a loop to break truck before towing the car. Goes without saying that we are very excited but I am also anxious for jumping in a six month long trip without having 0 experience with RV travel. I made all the camp bookings but CA cancelled two campground recently which I was able to recover and I do expect more changes as well. I will start a thread to write a newbie experience of first trip and a selfish reason to have an expert group with me if I need help. There are lot of new things for us in this trip .....

Cheers

Reply #24
Muhammad,
I hope you post updates about your pickup! We will be picking up our 27 MB in May or June and are pretty excited.  Are you flying out to CA or driving a UHaul loaded with your camping equipment? We are planning to register ours in Kentucky so we are having a driver take us over the state line into AZ to do the paperwork.  How are you handling this?
Hoping to learn from your experience!
Shawn and Randy Willmott