Skip to main content
Topic: Polish for rv (Read 339 times) previous topic - next topic
Polish for rv
My wife and I are making plans to take 'Makana' out in a few weeks and so I thought I would polish the rig.  I have always used the polymer available from the mothership.  I was wondering if there might be a better choice of product that might be less expensive.  Any ideas?

Randy

2018 31' TB
2018 31' TB

Re: Polish for rv
Reply #1

Once a year, the LD is washed well and then a detailing clay is used to clean the surface and make it smooth.
After washing again, it gets a coat of a premium polymer wax. Meguiars. Ultimate Liquid Wax has been my choise for many years.
Clay kit
Amazon.com: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive
Wax
Amazon.com: MEGUIAR'S G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax, 16 Fluid Ounces: Automotive

The front of the LD gets waxed twice a year, it take a beaing in the summer in the form of crushed and dried insects. I have experimented with some expensive waxes in the past.
17-years ago I tested FIne FInsih, a super premium wax system, against a Mother's polymer wax, and had seen no difference after a few months. I have found nothing better since.
Travel, Tires, Trips and Cleaning

I have not found any magic waxes yet,  IMO, high end waxes provide few extra benefits other than making the seller a little richer.YMMV

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I've tried Finish First, Nu Finish, Finish Kare, Turtle Wax, and Meguiar's Ultimate; in my experience, the easiest to apply and polish off are Nu Finish and Meguiar's. The "shine" variations and lasting protection between these two are hard to assess, but I'll stick with Meguiar's. Good on the product, but finding an "elf" to apply and polish off the Meguiar's for me is the kicker!  ;) 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Once a year, the LD is washed well and then a detailing clay is used to clean the surface and make it smooth.
After washing again, it gets a coat of a premium polymer wax. Meguiars. Ultimate Liquid Wax has been my choise for many years.
Clay kit
Amazon.com: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive
Wax
Amazon.com: MEGUIAR'S G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax, 16 Fluid Ounces: Automotive

The front of the LD gets waxed twice a year, it take a beaing in the summer in the form of crushed and dried insects. I have experimented with some expensive waxes in the past.
17-years ago I tested FIne FInsih, a super premium wax system, against a Mother's polymer wax, and had seen no difference after a few months. I have found nothing better since.
Travel, Tires, Trips and Cleaning

I have not found any magic waxes yet,  IMO, high end waxes provide few extra benefits other than making the seller a little richer.YMMV

Larry
This is really good and timely information as I'm just about ready to do this for the first time to my "new to me" RV. Can you tell me how much I should order for 31' LD?

Thanks,
Ron
2009 31' IB "BoonDoggle"
2014 Honda CRV Towed

Reply #4

To me tradional waxes have become a thing of the past. I have been using Griot's Ceramic 3-1 wax sealant with great results on both my Tesla and my Lazy Daze on the chassis. Its a simple spray on, wipe, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth. I've found the results to be much more satisfying than the waxes I used in the past. The body gets washed about once every month or two with Griots brilliant finish car wash with a spray foam cannon bottle hooked up to a traditional garden hose (way easier than the foam cannons that have to use a power washer). It reaches all of the RV easily without breaking your back and does a lot of the work of cutting into the dirt for you. Let the foamy soap sit for about 5-10 minutes and rinse it off. If you want to go the extra mile  I also use a wash broom to scrub the body afterwards and then dry it with my Ryobi leaf blower.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_326 – Torq Foam Blaster 6 Foam Wash Gun – The...

Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #5

I'm an Aero Waterless fan.   I give 'Baxter' a good wash then let her dry.  Next day spray the Aero Waterless on and wipe off.

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
This is really good and timely information as I'm just about ready to do this for the first time to my "new to me" RV. Can you tell me how much I should order for 31' LD?

One each will be enough for a complete cleaning and waxing job.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
I'm a big fan of Adam's Polishes, a lot of different products (maybe too many) for different needs/applications. Great videos too on the different products. I have no affiliation other than I like their products and they seem to work really well. I don't yet have my LD, but I do use them on my current rig, car and Jeep.

Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care & Detailing Products

Dan
Have an awesome day!
Dan - on list for a 31' IB White/Sliver