Skip to main content
Topic: Catalytic Converter (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic
Catalytic Converter
We just found out that our catalytic converter has been stolen from our MB while it was in storage.  Progressive Insurance informed me that the thefts had just started to become a problem in Texas and California was another hot spot.  Fortunately, nothing else was damaged or stolen.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Re: Catalytic Converter
Reply #1
"...our catalytic converter has been stolen..."

Nor are you the first member of this forum! Friend Annie Olson had her's taken while her rig was parked in front of her house.   >:(   :(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Its real bad here in California a friend just had gotten a new class A  within a few weeks his catalytic converter was stolen.
                                                  Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #3
We just found out that our catalytic converter has been stolen from our MB while it was in storage.  Progressive Insurance informed me that the thefts had just started to become a problem in Texas and California was another hot spot.  Fortunately, nothing else was damaged or stolen.
https://www.carparts.com/blog/catalytic-converter-theft-is-on-the-rise-how-to-protect-your-vehicle/

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Several years ago, I had both catalytic convertors stolen from my ‘02 Toyota Sequoia. It was park in front of my house. It takes seconds to cut them off with a battery powered saws-all.

At $1300 apiece for the convertors (covered by insurance), I looked for a way to deter future theft. I located the Cat Strap. https://youtu.be/vfm-UnwYuJI
At $150 each it’s cheap insurance. A key fob is provided to reset the alarm when the jacker runs off empty handed.

It’s loud as the dickens. My mechanic installed them for me. Each alarm has a 300 dB alarm that mounts under the hood.

The truck has never been touched since then. The e450 engine has a huge catalytic converter (2?). I suppose I’m due to add them to the rig. I’d forgotten all about it. Sorry about your loss.

Thanks for reminding me.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"