Skip to main content
Topic: interior light fixtures, repair or replace/led? (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic
interior light fixtures, repair or replace/led?
Greetings, oh wise ones!
I have a 2005 RK which runs like a champ. The aisle overhead ceiling lamp has been out since I bought the coach, so I've been relying on the lamps over the sofas. However, one of them has now gone on the fritz. (New tubes don't help...) I have read online that there is a built-in inverter in these Sunray units that often gives out. Questions are: is there a repair option? If I replace with new LED fixtures, will they fit right in? Or is it a tricky replacement? Suggested lamp vendor? Should I be fussy about who does the work?
Thanks,
Marcia
Marcia Boynton
2005 26.5 RK
Adrian and Northport, MI

Re: interior light fixtures, repair or replace/led?
Reply #1
Greetings, oh wise ones!
I have a 2005 RK which runs like a champ. The aisle overhead ceiling lamp has been out since I bought the coach, so I've been relying on the lamps over the sofas. However, one of them has now gone on the fritz. (New tubes don't help...) I have read online that there is a built-in inverter in these Sunray units that often gives out. Questions are: is there a repair option? If I replace with new LED fixtures, will they fit right in? Or is it a tricky replacement? Suggested lamp vendor? Should I be fussy about who does the work?

I have never repaired Sunray fixtures, instead converting them to LEDs. Years ago LED tubes were very expensive so we used inexpensive LED strips that came in a 15' roll that require cutting them into strips and gluing them on, after soldering new wires to the LED strips. It worked but was a lot of work and the results were not always satisfactory

With a little bit of rewiring, your old fixtures can use modern tubes. Inside the fixture, the ballast needs disconnecting and then connecting the switched power directly to the LED tube(s)..
M4 LED is a supplier of quality LED products, many here have used LEDs from them.
led replacement tube lights for 12v RVs and Trailers
Other light fixtures can use LED plates, good for square lamps.
LED Plate Lights for Overhead Fixtures

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Marcia, are we talking about bulbs, tubes, or both?

Bulbs
These are easy.  Find a LED replacement bulb and plug it in.  See LED bulbs

Tubes
Replacing a fluorescent tube with a LED tube is a bit more complicated.  You need to disconnect or remove the ballast, rewire the fixture, then install the tubes.  See LED Tube lights

LED Strip lighting
This is the most challenging.  Like the tubes, the ballast must be disconnected and removed, and the fixture rewired.  You can buy multiple strips of whatever length you specify, with wire pigtails installed, but this gets expensive quickly.  You can buy a LED roll, then cut strips to length and solder on your own wire pigtails.  I did this, but while I am good with wiring, my soldering is... clumsy?  The strips work, but I am not confident that my soldering will last.  It you know someone who works on solid state circuitry, they could connect the pigtails for you.  See The folks who supplied my strips  I recommend calling them to discuss your needs.  They were most helpful to me.

A few things to think about... 

1. If you do tubes, you are limited in the amount of light produced.  If you do strips, you could put multiple strips in one fixture.  I have 6 strips in the fixture over my sink, and 4 strips in the rest.

2. Color matters a lot.  I like a strongly white LED (6500 K), but many would find it rather harsh.  They prefer a LED with a lower temperature, providing a light that moves away from blue-white to more of a beige or yellow, similar to incandescent lights.

3. The LED strips have an adhesive backing.  The supplier recommends installing them in an aluminum track with a plastic cover.  This improves heat dissipation and protects the fixture.  I used such when I installed a strip in the stove hood, because I wanted to be able to remove that cover for ease of cleaning, but I used neither track nor cover in the fixtures.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #3
Hi Marcia;  I replaced two of my overhead florescent lights with light strips. They work, but are too bright and the wrong color temperature.  I replaced the rest with M4 simulated bulbs with 4000K (thats the color temperature) LED lights.  By far the best choice for me. One half the power, instant on even in very cold weather and indistinguishable from the original tubes. The only way you can tell the difference is if you take off the cover and look directly at the tubes.
    Color is 4500K or 'natural white'. You will need two tubes per fixture. The rewiring, to bypass the electronic ballast, isn't very hard. This retains the 'look' of the original setup and is the easiest in the long run,  no woodworking required.  LED Replacement for 18" T8 Tube Lights         RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4

Color is 4500K or 'natural white'. You will need two tubes per fixture, the rewiring isn't very hard. This retains the 'look' of the original setup and is the easiest in the long run,  no woodworking required.  LED Replacement for 18" T8 Tube Lights        RonB

Many times, one LED tube per fixture is enough. Switching to LED tubes does require some electrical knowledge plus removing and disassembling of the fixtures for the conversion.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"Many times, one LED tube per fixture is enough."
----
The two-tube fluorescent lights over the couches in my 2003 TK were replaced with one LED tube per fixture; one LED replacement tube provides plenty of light.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
My experience with LED strips:

PROS
Much less expensive than LED tubes.

Can be cut to length to fit any long fixture.

CONS
Not as easy to find the color temperature you want. I bought both warm white and cool white strips; the former were too yellow, while the latter were too blue. I ended up putting both kinds in each fixture to achieve a color balance that I liked, but it would have been easier to just buy tubes with my preferred color temperature.

The strips are self-adhesive, but as the strip warms up (yes, LEDs do generate some heat), over time the adhesive can soften and the strip can start to peel loose from the ends.

I think for most people, the LED tubes are probably a better bet. Some rewiring is required in either case, but it's a bit easier with the tubes.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7

While we're talking about LED light fixtures, I'd like to mention a type that I've used extensively in both my Airstream and my Trillium trailers. These 7-1/2" motion-sensing LED light bars are now inside every cupboard and storage area--in fact, the Trillium's three-shelf wardrobe (currently full of tools and supplies) has one above every shelf. I really like having each storage space lit up when I open its door. It's a small thing, but makes life nicer.

There's also a fancier version that looks just the same, but has changeable color temperature (warm/medium/cool), an external on/off switch so you don't have to rely on motion-sensing, and a wireless (IR) remote. It even has a 15/30/45/60 minute shutoff timer controlled from the remote, though I have no use for that. I've bought a few of those for situations where I don't necessarily need the motion-sensing feature (although it has that too, you can turn it off).

Understand, these are nowhere near as bright as the LD's standard, much larger fluorescent or LED light fixtures. But they are perfect for letting you see the contents of your kitchen cupboards or other storage areas. They only come on when needed--when it's not broad daylight, and you open the cupboard door. The basic model runs on four AAAs (I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries), while the fancier one has a built-in USB-rechargeable lithium battery.

Finally--getting a little further off topic--I recently bought a bundle of colored 12 V LEDs that can be handy for projects. The nice thing about these is that they already have a current-limiting resistor wired on and shrink-wrapped, plus 6" pigtail leads, so they are ready to connect to 12 V with no further additions... and you get 120 of them (twenty each of six different colors) for less than eleven bucks, or a dime apiece. Not useful for interior lighting, but great for pilot light/indicator purposes.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
I wound up replacing all my Fluorescent 18" tubes with LED tubes. I prefer the warmer color of the 3000's but personal taste. I wired for both tubes and eventually removed one tube unless I wanted a lot of light in an area. Not a hard job at all just have a good supply of small blue wire nuts. I did most without removing the fixture after the first one.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #9
Wow, thanks everybody. Many more possibilites than I realized!! Appreciate all the links to learn more...
Marcia
Marcia Boynton
2005 26.5 RK
Adrian and Northport, MI

Reply #10
I bought led bulbs from m4 products and replaced all of the fluorescent tubes in the coach.  They come in 3 different colors and I picked the "natural white", as I remember.  I had a problem with one of the bulbs and it was replaced quickly.  You do have to spend some time rewiring the fixture and I soldered and wire nutted every junction. (Belt and suspenders mode)

Reply #11
Marcia, one thing to check in your old lights:
Check the electrical contacts are good (if you don’t check them regularly).  I have been amazed that this is what caused something to stop working.
 Even if they look good clean then with  Electrical Contact Cleaner (and if they look bad use a pink eraser on them first).

Make sure the wire nuts are on right and the wires have good contact with each other (rule of thumb is to never reuse a wire nut, always use a new one).
Of course be safe which means turn off electricity (including disconnecting the battery) beforehand.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.