Skip to main content
Topic: R-value (Read 271 times) previous topic - next topic
R-value
Does anyone have the numbers for the R-values (of the insulation) used in a new LD? After completing a search on the website, I was unable to find any information. Thank you.
Sam

Re: R-value
Reply #1
It's not much.  My guess would be that it's in the 5-10 range for the foam board insulation used and much lower for the overall wall assembly.  The big windows don't help and there is substantial thermal bridging due to the wood frame.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
I believe that the R-value may be very slightly improved with the block styrofoam insulation (2008 and newer, I think) rather than with the skimpy handfuls of fiberglass insulation in earlier models, but the large windows are a big source of heat gain and loss.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
No RV is as well insulated as today's new homes. the walls are only a couple inches thick.
The penalty is worse in an LD due to the extra-large windows.
The foam insulation is only highly effective if it stays in contact with the interior wall, when loose, the foam can pull away, providing a pathway for hot of cold air to be exposed to the interior walls. I have seen this in several refrigerator compartments, causing significant thermal leaks into the interior and around the refrigerator's body, a bad thing in the summer.

The dual-pane windows do a decent of reducing outside noise but are not much better than the old, safety glass windows when it comes to heat or cold. the aluminum frames transfer heat and cold effectively.
Covering the entire window with Reflectix insulation is the best solution for very hot or cold conditions.

Hot conditions are when the minimal insulation really stands out, we have had some seriously hot weather lately, 121 defrees, a new local record. Trying to keep the LD from melting, the A/C was run 24 continuously, for a few days, sealed up with all the aids.
At best it managed a 25-30 degree drop. For these reasons, we limited our travels to hot areas.
The A/C kicked out twice during brownouts, it been an interesting summer in California

Ideally, when the weather is changing seasons, you should be heading north or south, to a better climate.
That's why your LD has wheels.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Enclosed is a screen shot of the temp - inside an outside - when we were camping at Big Bend National Park in October.   The A/C when running all day.   We did all the 'tricks' to stay cool - this is what we got.  I have to share that there were no a lot of folks in the camp ground areas.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
You could ask Lazy Daze about this - they minimum have the type of insulation including thickness used and you can check the manufacturer site.

Doing a quick check standard R values for rigid insulation gives roughly 5-8 R-Value depending if they do 1 or 2 inches thick.
You can increase R-Value of windows by adding Reflectix but that gives only about 1.1 R-Value per layer.  However, if you reduce direct sunlight coming in the windows, it will reduce heating up everything inside and give additional help.

On a recent trip I saw someone who put reflectix on the outside of their RV (a larger class B). I am not sure if that helped much and they must have put it on after they parked in their camping spot, but if it covered the window framing (typical metal), it likely would help more than putting it on the inside (when the window framing is already heated up and radiating inside), but I likely would not make that choice.  They might have been doing it for privacy.... as the temps were between 60-80 over the day.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.