Skip to main content
Topic: Connecting portable solar panels directly to coach batteries (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic
Connecting portable solar panels directly to coach batteries
 My unit is a  2004 26.5 IB. A few months back I invested in the Renogy 200W  Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Suitcase to provide maximum flexiblity in positioning for solar.  I do the majority of my camping in areas west of the Cascades in the PNW so flexibility in panel location is a given. Currently,  I connect these panels to my Goal Zero(GZ) 1000 solar generator that I use as primary source of power for laptop, cell phones, portable fans, radios, speakers,  etc., etc. I also have a factory installed 90 watt solar roof panel and the standard factory charge controller.  In many of my usual camp locations that roof panel is in shade for all or significant portions of any given day so I am wondering if I could also put some leads on my 2-6 volt wet cell coach batteries to connect to the portable panels. The Solar Suitcase  does have a separate Renogy MMPT solar controller connected to the panels. It would be nice to have this option in the event the GZ is fully charged, the roof panel is in the shade, and the house batteries have room for additional charge. Is this safely possible? Other thoughts?
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Re: Connecting portable solar panels directly to coach batteries
Reply #1
It is not only safely possible, but the best use of our portable solar.  Just connect the output of your controller directly to the batteries.  It will work just fine with your existing system.

Rich - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #2
Do you have a battery monitor? If so, the way you connect to the batteries will determine whether the monitor records any additional charge replacement or not.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
<smile> If I may refer you too my post as short time ago

Homemade Portable Solar Panel Built

I have replaced the inexpensive pwm controller with a Victron MPPT controller.   I've also upgraded to a 100 watt solar panel.   I've since then plan to have a Jackery 1000 and maybe one more 100 watt solar panel.    Sadly the Oregon fires are slowing my camping days down a tad.   BUT hope springs eternal in the 'Baxter' household.

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
So, it appears you did NOT install a battery monitor. A monitor measures and integrates all charge flow into and out of the battery bank, and thus can give you an accurate state-of-charge no matter whether the source is solar, converter, or alternator. A solar charge controller does not have that ability. If you decide to install a monitor, most models have a battery shunt that is installed as the only connection between the battery bank and system ground, so that all inflow and outflow traverses the shunt. If you then connect up your portable system to the batteries, the portable's ground should go to system ground, and its contribution will then be tabulated by the monitor.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit