Skip to main content
Topic: 27 MB - Storage & Sleeping  (Read 389 times) previous topic - next topic
27 MB - Storage & Sleeping
We have been thinking we want/need a 31 IB, but seeing that the 27's seem to be the most popular I'd love to get some input that may sway our final decision (getting closer to the down payment time).

>> Storage - there is less storage inside and out, has this been an issue? Have you wished you had the bigger 31 for the additional storage? Greater OCCC in the 27s, but less places to put things. Kind of a catch 22 for the 31's, more places to store your stuff, but you can't carry as much weight.

>> For the sleeping arrangements (two people),  for the mid-bath do you make up the beds every day so you have usable couches?

>> Not sure if it is an option, has anyone eliminated the dinette on the 27 MB for the barrel chairs? If yes, was it a good setup for you?

Thank you.

Dan
Have an awesome day!
Dan - on list for a 31' IB White/Sliver

Re: 27 MB - Storage & Sleeping
Reply #1
We find that the MB is very spacious for 2 people, with plenty of place for people and stuff.   It all depends on what you're used to however.  Others can't imagine living in so small of a space. 

When traveling with 2 people, we tend to leave the back couches as beds most of the time.  With 3+ people, we tend to fold them into couches most days. 

The one thing I miss with that setup is a seating area that is more comfortable than the dinette.  My philosophy is to consider my living room to be outside and invest in a comfortable camp chair  If the weather makes that uncomfortable, it's time for me to drive elsewhere.

RIch
2003 MB

Reply #2
It can be a tough call.  Things in favor of the 31'...  but not too much I can add to your thoughts..

1.  separate bedroom with the  obvious advantages
2. more storage IF you need it and if you don't get too heavy
3. a more comfortable unit over all if you will spend a lot of time in it 
4. you are ok with the added length and certain limitations that come with that

I leave the  beds (twins) in my MB made up most of the time.  An alternative would be to have one left as a bed and the other put back as a couch during the day.  Or put one person in the cabover....  I tried going with a king bed in back initially but  switched to the twin bed option.      Frank

Don't over look the RB as I did when I ordered my 2016 MB.  Now I think I would have been happy with it.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #3
Another thing to consider with the 31' is that the bed is NOT convertible. I.s., that room is only a bedroom, which reduces the size of the daytime living/play area. Note that the roomiest feeling rig is the 27' rear bath - sometimes referred to as the party model.
Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Thank you all, good things to think about. I just found out there is a LD club camping event in my area next week, I'm hoping to make a visit and see if some of the owners are open to giving my wife and I a tour of their rigs.

Dan.
Have an awesome day!

Reply #5
Dan, defiantly check out LDs at the get together, including laying in beds if possible and standing /siting in bathrooms.  Really compare storage, you might be surprised, but see how you feel sitting, standing, laying in it also including if it will fit your normal travel group and the times you might have extra people coming along.

Storage inside is less in 31 IB than TB and I
think slightly less outside storage also.
Of note, the MB has storage on all 3 sides of the back lounge area.  The 31’ IB has that only on the back wall and it doesn’t go all the way across the wall (wardrobes IB way).  You could add some shelving above the windows in the sides...

The IB does have two cabinets over the dining area and the sofa (equivalent to the two ones not on the IB area) but the the MB has one cabinet over the dinette.  So the MB has about 1.5 more long  cabinets than the IB - counting high up cabinets outside the kitchen.

The IB does have the entertainment area but if you are not using the MB cab over area for sleeping you can either get an entertainment area or with the bed over the mattress area you have even more storage area (holds a lot of bins).

Outside storage - the MB has those two large areas under the beds.  The IB doesn’t have that but has some storage under the bed (might not be easy to get to).  The IB has more smaller compartment but some are filled with appliances (fridge, water heater,propane, generator, batteries, etc.)

I was very surprised to find that as you go up in size - TK to MB to TB there was not a lot of difference in storage depot the fact the length got longer.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #6
"Storage inside is less in 31 IB than TB and I
think slightly less outside storage also."

Funny I never noticed that! In the sixteen (16) years that I've owned my '04 30'IB I have never completely filled all the storage space. In fact, during that time I have been toting around, over countless miles, a bunch of stuff that has never been used. Guess I could have saved the space for some other worthless cargo!  :D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
The storage behind the entertainment center on my 31' is weight restricted due to construction methods.   Shorter models are built with the expectation one is going to be storing viable carcasses up there at least part time.   LD recommends storing the library elsewhere than behind the TV.
 ;)
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
The storage behind the entertainment center on my 31' is weight restricted due to construction methods.   Shorter models are built with the expectation one is going to be storing viable carcasses up there at least part time.   LD recommends storing the library elsewhere than behind the TV.
 ;)
Joel

Yes, a rule of thumb is to load your heavier items as low as possible, and to keep the weight as evenly distributed as possible, fore and aft; port and starboard.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Thank you again for all the great input. I can relate to the one comment about carrying stuff you never use; when we had our toy hauler trailer we had a boat load of cabinets and a huge storage area outside, when we sold it we had to empty it of course, boy did we realize we were carrying around a lot of unused stuff.

It is very helpful to get all this input, we just want to make the right decision when we choose which LD model/layout we go with.
Have an awesome day!

Reply #10
Dan, IMO the biggest thing to look for is how you intend to use it.  Make the space fit your needs (separate rooms or one big gathering area, big bathroom area or smaller one, etc.).

There are recent threads discussing driving the 27 vs 31.

Lazybones - it is funny, I have met full timers who have tons of unused storage space in their 31’ and others that have it all filled up.  Just depends on the person.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #11
"Just depends on the person."

Jane

In another life, long long ago I used to do some extensive backpacking. In those days I was a minimalist! I went so far as to cut half the handle off my toothbrush.

Some of that carried over to my RV life, but I still carry too much S**t!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!