Skip to main content
Topic: Shore Power or Generator or Both? (Read 214 times) previous topic - next topic
Shore Power or Generator or Both?
An open question for the group, all inputs welcome.

I understand that if you have no shore power you must rely on the generator. Conversely if you have shore power there is no need for the generator.

Question: Is there any harm in running the generator while connected to shore power?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Shore Power or Generator or Both?
Reply #1
Hi Steve;  No problem at all. You will after 20 seconds be running only on the generator. The automatic bus transfer switch will disconnect your shore power.   I often leave the motorhome connected to city power. When I run the generator to give it some run time, it switches over to generator, and switches back when I turn it off.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Steve,

According to my 2015 Owners manual it is not possible to receive 120 volt power from the generator if the rig is attatched to shore power. See NOTE in attached pic.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
The text from the manual says "It is not possible for the motorhome to receive 120 V from the generator and exterior power cord simultaneously." That's consistent with what Ron said: when you start the generator while connected to shore power, the automatic transfer switch changes over to generator power to prevent simultaneous connections. (Since the generator's output frequency and phase are not as stable as that of shore power, trying to mix the two would result in a conflict and possible damage.)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
No harm at all.  I do it frequently to exercise the generator and it probably helps to exercise the transfer switch as well (a mechanical switch that can occasionally fail).

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #5
Hi Steve;  No problem at all. You will after 20 seconds be running only on the generator. The automatic bus transfer switch will disconnect your shore power.  I often leave the motorhome connected to city power. When I run the generator to give it some run time, it switches over to generator, and switches back when I turn it off.    RonB
Thanks, Ron. I never knew this and always disconnected shore power before exercising the genset.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Just another reason for the existence of LDOF. It’s the kindness and familial bond here that helps us read between the lines of the LD manual and find answers to questions posed outside its pages.

It’s the technical intuitiveness and years of experience that bring many of us back to the group. If not for useful information, then for the pure enjoyment of the read.

Thanks and not for nothing. You never know which direction the group will take us. I always enjoy a great adventure.

Onward.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
While it is true that the transfer switch will only allow one 120VAC source to pass (usually generator has priority), having the transfer switch flip while under heavy AC load is not ideal.  When there is a high current passing through the transfer switch and it switches to the other source, there will be some arcing at the switch contacts during the transition.  Over time this can cause burning of the contact's surfaces and cause a higher impedance and associated heating.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #8
Hi All-
Since you’re discussing generators and solar, I wondered what your thoughts were if you had to choose?  I have neither on my old ‘91 LD.  This afternoon I was watching a couple YouTube videos by “I’m not lost, I’m rving”.  During their recent renovation they decided to remove the generator since it wasn’t used much.  I’m too new to all this to boondock, but it’s something I’m definitely interested in.  I lean toward solar but am concerned about the learning curve with no experience.
Also, somewhat unrelated, my Daizy has no ladder or rail on the top.  Does anyone know if that was original equipment in 1991?  It doesn’t appear to have any noticeable places where one would have been attached.
Thanks!  pj
Not all who wander are lost...

1991 22' RL

Reply #9
Hi All-
Since you’re discussing generators and solar, I wondered what your thoughts were if you had to choose?  I have neither on my old ‘91 LD.  This afternoon I was watching a couple YouTube videos by “I’m not lost, I’m rving”.  During their recent renovation they decided to remove the generator since it wasn’t used much.  I’m too new to all this to boondock, but it’s something I’m definitely interested in.  I lean toward solar but am concerned about the learning curve with no experience.
Also, somewhat unrelated, my Daizy has no ladder or rail on the top.  Does anyone know if that was original equipment in 1991?  It doesn’t appear to have any noticeable places where one would have been attached.
Thanks!  pj

It would depend on my priorities.  If I valued ease of use along with quiet, I would pick solar.  If I wanted something that would work no matter what (dark, cloudy, etc...), I would choose a built in generator.

I probably wouldn't spend the money to install either solar or a built in generator into a 1991 RV.  The cost would exceed the value of the coach.  I would probably make due with a cheap portable generator (which has its own substantial drawbacks). 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #10
Hi All-
Thanks!  pj
Do you have roof air and/or microwave? If boondocking, solar won't run the AC, and an elaborate system would be required for it to run the microwave. A portable generator could run either, but quiet ones are big, heavy, and expensive. If you just want to keep the batteries charged and run a few 12V lights and appliances, about a $400 investment and DIY labor would make for a nice solar setup. You would want to get a few solar panels and a quality charge controller to get about 200 Watts.

As for the ladder, probably an option then - our '83 had none. A plus, no one will climb up the ladder and break through your plastic hatch over the bunk...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11

I agree with Steve, it depends how you are using your electricity.   

To introduce some other ideas to consider while you are planning all this;

A SoftstartRV is designed to run your air conditioner on a smaller generator but while it works well for most people some say it didn’t work for them (see amazon reviews).
Another choice is use your LD alternator (or install a second large alternator for this) to charge batteries instead of a generator.  However I don’t believe you can run 120v from your alternator.

Consider a 3 or 4 stage charger/converter.  The original one’s were one stage and they burn up batteries quicker.

Lead acid batteries want a slower trickle for the last part of the charge and solar or shore power does this best.

Jane

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.