Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie to Lazy Daze (Read 1486 times) previous topic - next topic
Newbie to Lazy Daze
Here is my our new project and intro to the Lazy Daze lifestyle. My girlfriend and I have been looking for a vintage rv under 22 feet to do some traveling in around the state and to see our kids in the surrounding states. I've always like the lazy daze line and after see many other brands of this era, we decided on this one. Its a '73 year model. Very dirty from sitting for the past year next to a farm field but overall in good condition. Low miles and little wear. I will post more pics upon getting it home this weekend.

Re: Newbie to Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Very cool, can't wait to see it.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Steve
2003TK

Reply #2
good luck, Wiley.     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #3
Thanks Frank.... I'm hoping to get thru it as my winter project for early spring.

Reply #4
Here are a few more pics after hauling it out of the field and getting it to my shop. Its in need of a lot of work but I am a wooden boat builder by trade so the variance in platforms will be a welcome change for a few months. I wanted a project that was all original, complete and mostly intact except for the generator door on the passenger rear panel. This will be a winter rainy season project for early spring use. More to come as progress is made.

Reply #5
I look forward to seeing your progress!  Good for you for tackling this old girl, I'm sure somehow you will make her proud.
Kristin in Alaska
1997 MB

Reply #6
Hi Wiley;  Congratulations on your new project.  Those white blotchy lumps on the outside wall are places where water has gotten in behind and corroded the aluminum from the back. Electrolysis. So Bondo and repainting can cover that up, but of course, with a wooden framework no telling what the insides would be like. Take pictures please as we follow along with the renovation. Sweat equity for sure!   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
Hi Ron, thanks for the reply. I have seen this before on a few aluminium boats I've taken in. The only real way to remedy it is to replace the skinned aluminum with new and I realized that was the direction I'd go before I committed to take it on.
As for the interior wood panels, I have a stack of 4'×8' sheets of birdseye maple ply left over from an earlier boat interior build this year that I will be using to replace all of the original darker panels that were used when it was built as new that will also lighten the interior up a bit. I like things custom but to look as though it were designed and manufactured that way originally. I'm looking forward to the build/renovation of this one 😂

Reply #8
It's refreshing to see someone take on a project like this and know/understand what they're getting into.   We see too many who have no idea....

Good luck on the project, and please share your progress!

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #9
Thanks Rich....will do 👍

Reply #10
Looking forward to following your progress.  I noticed CA plates.  Is that where you are?  There is a place in your profile to show where you might be.  Wherever you are,  there will be get togethers (GTG) after the pandemic that you can join and show off your handywork.  Welcome to the FOLD (Fraternal Order of LazyDaze).
See you down the road,
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #11
Thanks Joel, yes San Diego area.

Reply #12
Hi Wiley; Me too,  R. PQ   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #13
Hey RonB, I used to live in R.B. and still frequently visit friends in P.Q. Nice rig you have there. I really like that color pattern.

Reply #14
Welcome aboard.

I always enjoy watch folks bring an old LD back to life.   Good luck and please keep us in the loop.

My guess is you'll have to strip the LD to the bone, replace the timbers and skin.  I'm also guessing the engine is a bit worn out.   I believe its a GM.  I'd be interested on how you find parts for it.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #15
Hi Glen, thanks for the reply.
The engine is a 360 dodge motor. It only has 66,000 original miles on it and starts, runs & drives pretty smoothly as of yesterday's first try with a new battery. Obviously belts, hoses, all rubbers and fluids will be exchanged but I am not planning on doing much mechanically except freshen things up a bit.

As for the rest, as mentioned earlier I am a boat builder by trade so I am used to making what I need when it comes to parts and supplies as no two boats or sides of oak boat are created identically equal so for the outer skins I will cut and roll the panels out of new sheets of aluminum myself in the shop and for the interior bits they will all be milled to fit with radius' accordingly as well. Items such as the LD factory plastic trim, material coverings and hinges & hardware will all be replaced with marine grade hardware and custom edge moldings where originally plastic was used.

The goal long term for this is to have something that compliments my yachting lifestyle when on land or traveling to see family or friends but be every bit as comfortable as my floating home is at sea. I don't normally like production values on mass produced items such as cars, boats, trains etc. so making my own structural and fit out items is something I'm use to doing in my trade anyways. If you have any questions, please feel free to etc me know. Thanks again.

Reply #16
Wiley, you may already have thought of this, but I'd recommend replacing all the electrics with marine-grade parts while you're at it. RV electrical wiring is of poor quality; and RV wiring that was done in 1973 and has been sitting out in a field for years...
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #17
Hi Andy thank for the reply.
I was thinking that as well since I already have spools of tinned marine grade wiring and since the wiring is all coming out anyways when replacing the siding, cabinetry and interior lumber. I will likely be replacing the head with a new "AirHead" composting toilet since I already have a new one at my disposal. The 19' rv is such a small compact space that's it's just easier to do it all at one time since everything's coming apart anyways. 👍

Reply #18
"I was thinking that as well since I already have spools of tinned marine grade wiring..."

Yup, you've got the right idea. On all three of my RVs I ended up redoing most of the wiring using Ancor tinned wire, Blue Sea electrical parts, FTZ Crimp 'n' Seal lugs, and so on.
Andy Baird

Reply #19
You're speaking my language in hardware!

Reply #20
Having a background as an electronics technician, I thought I knew how to do things. That was until I made friends with people who had worked on boats. From them I learned how to do things right. I won't claim that my rigs (an Airstream and a Trillium fiberglass trailer) are fully up to ABYC standards, but I try to get as close as I can.
Andy Baird

Reply #21
👍

Reply #22
While we're on the subject, let me put in a plug for using the right lugs (and butt splices, etc.). This is one of the things I learned from my boater friends.

The first photo here shows a couple of typical crimped-on lugs. There are three things wrong here. First, there's copper showing. That should never happen, but it's common with these lugs because the sleeves are so short. Second, there's no strain relief. In an application such as an RV or boat where motion and vibration are frequent, connections like these are likely to exhibit  broken strands over time as the wires flex. Third, the insulation doesn't seal to the wire. That means air and moisture can enter the end of the wire, eventually leading to corrosion. If you've ever taken apart a connection to find that the last inch or so of wire is black with oxidation, you know what I mean.*

The second photo shows an FTZ Crimp 'n' Seal lug.  Note how the insulation extends well back onto the wire. This provides strain relief, helping to avoid broken strands. And the insulation is not only heat-shrunk onto the wire, but also lined with hot glue (you can see a tiny ring of it squeezed out at the end of the insulation sleeve). This guarantees a gas-tight, watertight seal to the wire. You won’t have wire oxidizing over time and turning black or green as moisture creeps in at the ends.

You don’t need special training or a two-hundred-dollar crimper to do this; you just need the right lugs. (And a lighter or heat gun to shrink them.) They're not super-expensive, either. I highly recommend them.

* Using marine-grade tinned wire will minimize the chances of this happening, but still...
Andy Baird

Reply #23
As a boat builder ancor tinned is all I use. Great minds think alike 👍

Reply #24
Andy, thanks for the info - translating marine to rv.  You link had something I had wished for but not found (3 & 4 way butt splices).
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.