Skip to main content
Topic: 1994 MB what is box under dinette booth above battery bay. (Read 302 times) previous topic - next topic
1994 MB what is box under dinette booth above battery bay.
I recently purchased a 1994 MB and trying to figure out what the fiberglass box is under the dinette booth next to the entry door.  The box is right above the battery box however does not look like is part of that.  Also appears to be a romex wire coming out of the box and going into the outside wall through a rough cut hole.   I'm looking at putting an inverter along with my solar controller in this area and would like to know what the box is for.
Thank you in advance.
Lonnie    
1994 Mid Bath

Re: 1994 MB what is box under dinette booth above battery bay.
Reply #1
We have a 94 mid bath and the box in ours is the top part of the battery box. I had to access the battery box and did it under the slide out dinette seat nearest the door. Our battery's are immediately forward of the entry door. Your hidden circuit breaker is also in that area mounted to the frame work of the seat, very hard to see.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #2
Thank you Jon for your reply.  Looking through the battery bay door I saw a breaker at the back of and just above the top of the batteries so assume that is the breaker your talking about. 
When you gained access to the batteries from the top was the fiberglass box attached or could you just lift it off.   We're putting an inverter and solar charger in that booth and making sure of what everything is. 
Thank you again.
Lonnie
1994 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Lonnie, I drilled a hole to fish some wires and no our box is all one. When you are under the dinette seat you can feel wires coming out of the box and under the carpet. The breaker I referred to is under the dinette seat ( really hard to see the first time)
The one you referred to is the second breaker that will shut off battery voltage also. If yours is like ours the box is not removable but does give easy access to the battery's from inside. Just need a drill bit some care and a tube of silicone to seal the holes. I took the pictures to help myself remember where they were and what I had.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #4
Thank you Jon for the update.  You have answered the rest of my questions.  Its interesting that we just found the breaker that you mentioned under the dinette seat yesterday and have been trying to figure out what it was. First thought that it some kind of aftermarket addition and never crossed our minds that it was the breaker you mentioned.      Now we know and thank you again for your help.
Lonnie
1994 Mid Bath

Reply #5
"When you are under the dinette seat you can feel wires coming out of the box and under the carpet."

Wires under the carpet? (shuddering)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
I am with Andy - sheathing on wires can fail (crack, split) and the heat and electricity Comes thru the wires even when the Sheath is good.
I hope it at least is in a waterproof (cause spills are gonna happen) conduit with appropriate fittings - that would be safe.  Though I personally would prefer protected from kick etc with wood framing.
https://www.lowes.cLiquid-tight--Conduit-conduit-fittings-Electrical/4294653950?refinement=4294702413

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #7
"sheathing on wires can fail (crack, split)..."

Especially when you're walking on them. Running wires under carpet is a Really Bad Idea.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
In ours Lazy Daze ran the wires out of the battery box, under the carpet and either up the wall or into a chase in the floor that goes to the converter. Very in accessible and factory installed.

Jon
1994 MB