Skip to main content
Topic: A Newbee Question - 31' or 27' LD (Read 472 times) previous topic - next topic
A Newbee Question - 31' or 27' LD
Hi. Great forum, like the BMW motorcycle airhead family....thank you for all you do. Sorry if i am not posting correctly. New to this.

Input please - Is the 31' LD effectively too big for real world work? I understand more room but thinking about useability, driving, boondocking half time, what I can bring, likely a toad involved, etc.? Read a bunch online and here but looking for specific thoughts, if I may please?

My History: Travelled on motorcycle for a year after college throughout US. Still camp for 1-2 week trips on bike with brother/son. Would RV with skeptical but supportive wife in early retirement for a year then maybe sell unit, unless we love it as part time option later. I know this is expensive, active- involvement proposition - like a boat, seemingly. Would probably buy LD new to hopefully avoid some of the major 'repair' pain on the road (??). I am a little skilled with car/bike mechanics, do stuff myself, no electrical knowledge (yet).

Thank you all and be safe. 

Alex
Alex

Airhead BMW motorcycle rider/camper
Thinking about LD for part time RVing in few years

Re: A Newbee Question - 31' or 27' LD
Reply #1
If you travel very light, a 31' model is OK, but if you want to carry enough supplies for extended boondocking, a 27' model will have superior CCC.  A 24' model has even more CCC. 
2008 and newer models, of all lengths, had their GVW increased from 14,050-LBS to 14,5000-LBS.
The longer the rig, the more difficulty you will have when venturing off paved roads.

I'm not sure this is the right time to buy a used LD, the market is presently overheated and rigs are selling for thousands more than what they did just a year ago, this is especially true if you think you will only keep it for a year or two.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I have a 2013 31' Island bed.  The deciding selection criterion was the 'walk'-around bed.  It has a 14,500 GVWR.
When I first brought it home, filled gas and propane, no water.  It weighed in at 12,800 leaving 1,700 CCC.
Water in a 50 gal tank at 8lbs/gal cuts into that significantly.  Spouses,  friends, dogs, cats, and other living things do likewise.
Weigh-ins at CAT scales on extended trips usually run between 13.8 and 14.3.  I usually travel with at most 10 gal of water,  filling tank at destination, gateway to boondock areas.

48,000 miles now with 46,000+ towing Honda CRV.  LD is not a great off-road vehicle and with the frame extension for 31' overhand can drag on many driveways - a couple of skids announce what would otherwise have been an expensive noise.
There is more space to rattle around in than a 27' floorplan, you just can't have as an extensive rock collection ala The Long Long Trailer.

I am satisfied with the 31', but, now that my wife has passed, were I to buy again  I'd more likely go with the 27'.

As Joan is often seen remarking YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Welcome to the group.
Joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
I have a 2003 30IB and the deciding factor for my wife was the queen size bed.  We had the opportunity to buy my uncle's lightly used 1999 24tk, but my wife hated the bathroom and said if I bought it, she wasnt going along.  I also didnt like the fact that the bathroom limited the travel of the drivers seat.  We looked at a couple of 26/7 ft units, but my wife didnt want to have to break down the bed all the time.  With our 31ft, we can leave the bed as messy as we want and it is always available.  However, you do have to be careful of the "swing" of the rearend.  A number of people have hit bollards in gas stations with the side.  I have come close a couple of times.  The other item is the scraping in the back.  My original owner put additional springs in the back to raise the rear end and also had two large metal wheels mounted.  I have had no issues. I also like the open feel in the cockpit as there is nothing behind my seat and the overhead is open.

Reply #4
Hi Stryder.  I think you and the wife should rent a motorhome for a couple of excursions to determine if she would be happy traveling in the RV.  This is an extension of the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" field of Psychology.  I believe an RV is too expensive of a purchase for buying one year and selling the next, particularly a new Lazy Daze.  While buying an LD new would certainly minimize prospects of trouble, selling it after a year or two would most likely "kill" you financially with the depreciation.

If you still believe the LD is the way to go, find out if there is a Lazy Daze rally near you.  (Several have been cancelled this year because of the virus).  Usually, you can view the different floor plans while there, and talk to the owners about the pros and cons of their rigs.

As for our family, we prefer the 27 foot mid-bath because we often travel with our two adult daughters and their stuff (which sometimes includes their husbands) and we have the available CCC to handle the additional weight.

Best wishes on your search.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #5
If you get a longer motor home there will be times you wish it was shorter and visa versa. Just the way life is.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #6
Thanks to all....

And 'yes' to all - great comments.

I will watch the referenced movie - sounds like riot and a good learning opportunity, given what I am considering.

Used prices pushed me to new, even if shorter term ownership. But, yes sir, wasteful, and (probably) not real smart.

Rent first, a few times.

Lose, perhaps 20-25k  (I'm totally guessing) in depreciation after 2 years (??)

27' it is, as I tend to bring (too much) stuff. Fixing that I will have to learn the hard way.

Hadn't considered about the overhang/drops offs....nice.

Working on the concept still - won't jump too quickly. Will certainly take bunch of planning to get in reasonable order, with slow production, COVID, retiring, etc.

PS: If anyone needs place to overnight near Baltimore, MD (actually Pasadena, feel free. Live in county, safe, a few acres/perfect property to stay a night or week). Staying home given COVID anyway.

Thanks to all. Be safe.

Regards, Alex (410-255-9643)
Alex

Airhead BMW motorcycle rider/camper
Thinking about LD for part time RVing in few years

Reply #7
Stryder (Alex).  I see that you are from Baltimore area.  We have several members of the North East LD Club that live relatively close to that area.  I believe that they might be willing to show you their rigs.  Consider posting a request to view on the North East LD web site directly.  main@NorthEastLazyDaze.groups.io | Home

Secondly, our Fall rally was just cancelled because of the virus.  We will have the Spring rally in Chambersburg PA in May, date tbd.  Consider joining us for this rally, hopefully the virus will be contained by then.  You can see, and visit, our rigs while there, and talk to owners about pros and cons.

Lastly, we live in Western PA.  If in the area, let us know.  We will be happy to show you our 27 Mid-Bath.  You can email me via this site.

Safe Travels, Bob
2011 MB

Reply #8
We, too, wrestled with the question of whether a 31’ Twin or 27’’ Rear Bath would be best for our needs!  But we are so happy with our 27’ Rear Bath - easy to drive and park.  We love the open feeling and making up the beds is quick work.

If anyone is traveling through North Dakota and needs a spot to stay - we have 30 amp and water hookups! 

Take care everyone.
Respectfully --  Jay & Shari

2022 — 31’ Twin Bed

Reply #9
Hi Alex!

We both come from a similar background, life long camper (tents) thinking of moving to an RV.   The transition from a tent to an RV is a huge step up, regardless of RV size.    I rented a 24’ C three times with my family of 5, for trips of four weeks, five weeks and four weeks.   Such a huge upgrade over minivan and tents.  Never considered upgrading the size of the rental for the second and third trips.

I am on the waiting list for a 24 TK LD in 2022 for when I retire in 2023, with the expectation of spending six months on the road each year.  Was tempted by a 27’ MB, but stuck with 24’ as it’s more nimble, fits into more places that longer RVs cannot.  I have at least a dozen roads I’ve been on already that prohibits vehicles longer than 25 feet, and I love those roads and the campgrounds along those roads.

My decision to stick with 24’ was based on my positive 16+ week experiences with 24’ class C rentals.

My advice is to rent a 24’ RV (no slides!) for at least two weeks, longer if you can afford it.   If you love it, you’re done.   If it’s just too small, you’ll have a much better idea just how much space you’ll need .  
Dave

2017 TK