Skip to main content
Topic: Fan-Tastic Vent Parts (Read 375 times) previous topic - next topic
Fan-Tastic Vent Parts
I just got off the phone with a representative for Dometic Fan-Tastic Vent.

Took a bit of a wait on the phone (like an hour), but the end result was a very nice conversation with a pleasant lady who took her time to get me what I needed.

She was so helpful that she directed me to two on line sources for the parts. She also confirmed my suspicion that the Dome Switch (plunger type) was most likely preventing the fan motor from activating. She said that is the most common failure.

I decided to order the switch and the motor for my Model # 810103 Vent fan.
The switch number is K1122-05. The Motor Assembly (includes the fan blades) Part # is K8017-00. Both are available on Amazon. About $50 total on Amazon Prime.

She also gave me another site for the parts. Bendtrailers.com I’m not sure what shipping costs or the delivery time is for them so I opted for Amazon Prime. Little difference in overall costs but as I support LDOG via Amazon it made sense.

Anyway, seems like a simple repair. I had replaced the fuse but that didn’t help. I had depressed the dome switch once before to get the fan working but no amount of ‘plunging” the switch or polishing the plunger had any effect today.

If it’s only the switch, at least I’ll have a spare motor assembly. I love spares.

Safe travels and stay cool.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Fan-Tastic Vent Parts
Reply #1
Hi Kent. I've torn my FFan totally down, and fixed some things over the last 21 years. I've converted the controller to pwm (pulse width modulation) to give me a very low, quieter speed, using little power (not that you need to think about that anymore). I like being able to keep it running quietly all night.    Check that the temperature control turns the fan on and off somewhere midrange on the knob. Also check both power and ground connections (with a meter). In my older unit the lid open switch was like the switches used by car alarms, doors and hood. They rely on a ground connection to be made when the lid is open. I've found these switches get dirty, and don't connect well. They are out in the open and dirt gets in there. Just a few screws takes out the fan guts, panel and all, leaving the bezel on the ceiling. really easy to work on.   Viper 5902v Replacement Hood Pin Switch for sale online | eBay
   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Thanks Ron,

This is the rear vent and has no temp control. The whole assembly is pretty straight forward. One day I’ll swap out the motor controller.

I am currently starting the install of the SureCall Fusion 2Go 3.0 RV cell phone signal booster. Just a little Birthday gift to myself. The Solar was my Christmas in July gift.

I love a good celebration. Should be one heck of a celebration coming up. 🚫😷

Kent

Reply #3
Dirty dome switch contacts are the most common problem with Fantastic Fans. Fuse holders are the next in line.

I have replaced one Fantastic fan's speed control with a PWM control to save power at low speeds, a worthwhile project. The bathroom fan has a remote control conversion kit installed which also features a PWM speed control.

Unfortunately, when one of our fans original 'soup can' motors died, the new, 'updated' pancake replacement motor is noisy, it squeaks. Fantastic has sent two more replacement, they all squeak.. Sure wish the old, 'soup can' motors were still available.
It's very disappointing that after so many years of quiet operation, Fantastic changed to a cheaper to build motor, with a very annoying noise. Another race to the bottom as a previously great fan goes down the tubes to save a little money.

In the future, any replacements roof fans will not be Fantastics, Maxxair fans are looking better all the time.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
It's very disappointing that after so many years of quiet operation, Fantastic changed to a cheaper to build motor, with a very annoying noise. Another race to the bottom as a previously great fan goes down the tubes to save a little money.

In the future, any replacements roof fans will not be Fantastics, Maxxair fans are looking better all the time.

Larry
Dometic bought them, end of story.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #5
To quiet the Fantastics for a bit I spray a bit of WD-40 at the spindle of the fan blades. Works “quiet” well for a time.

Wish I could find a nozzle with a hook to it. Kinda hard to get a straight nozzle where you sometimes need it.

Nothing like a good challenge.

Kent

Reply #6
To quiet the Fantastics for a bit I spray a bit of WD-40 at the spindle of the fan blades. Works “quiet” well for a time.

Doesn't work on this noise, it has something to do with the brush assembly. I took one of the motors apart and found nothing visually wrong with it, strangely, the motors only make the squeaking noise in one direction, it had to be the "Exhaust" direction :-(
Wish I was still employed and had access to a machine shop, I would like to turn and polish the motor's commutator and try changing the brushes around to see if the noise can be eliminated or to occur only when used in the "Intake" direction.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Larry,

I have similar issues with motor noise when switching from intake to exhaust. From front fan to midship. A Maxxair may be in my future as well. Not much room up top to work so the Mothership may be my best option.

In the meantime for my moderately annoying fan squeak I found the potential solution to straight WD-40 nozzle. Picked up this from my hotel stay in Oregon. Just won’t be using it to finish my juice. 😉

Kent 

Reply #8
"A Maxxair may be in my future as well. Not much room up top to work so the Mothership may be my best option."

Kent

I hate to have to throw a wet blanket on your idea but here's a bit of info I garnered last time I talked to Vince at the factory (some time ago).

I was there for the purpose of having the vents re-sealed. I had been advised that while the fans were being removed there may be damage to them as a result. I therefore purchased a new MaxxAir fan assembly as a precaution.

It's good that I did because indeed, it was needed! However, when Vince observed that the replacement was a MaxxAir he balked. It was said that 'Steve' had ordered that all fan replacements had to be with FanTastics from their stock!

Dilemma! But, good fortune was on my side that day and Vince went ahead with the installation of my MaxxAir, regardless. Since Vince has moved on the story can be told.  ;)  A comment he passed my way was: "I've never seen such an easy install!"   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Hi Larry, about your squeek. I'm reminded of the 'goo' that goes on the back of disk brake pads to keep them from squealing. It is there to dampen any high frequency oscillations. I wonder if you could put a 'dab' of caulk on a brush support to dampen any squeek. Next time you have one of those motors apart.
    I also wonder when the brushes will go 'away' by way of Hall effect sensors and electronically commutated coils.  A good rotor would just be magnets (so called 'super magnets') and the stator coils.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
I installed the new dome switch in the bathroom vent. Simple enough task however the ‘bullet’ connector to the bottom of the old switch was vertically frozen in place. No doubt the two parts had become very attached with one another.

The vendor does not include the bullet connector needed. It did come with the a ring/eye connector but there was no need to remove that.

Ran over to Home Depot and picked up a box of ‘Bullet Splice 5F/5M (male/female)’ .156 DIA 16-14 connectors. (See pic).

Actually requires quite a few tools to do the job. The built in nut on the plunger required an 11 mm wrench. Crimpers make the job a breeze.

It’s really nice to have the fan operational again. Cool breezes all around.

Kent

Reply #11
Hi Kent, I have the same problem with my fantastic fan. I will check the 2 parts you mentioned
and see what happens
Edd L. 2003 26 MB LD
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #12
tiagre,

Once I determined the old plunger switch was trash and I broke it free, the whole chore went rather smoothly.

Be brave. It’s not as difficult as I thought.

Kent