Skip to main content
Topic: small ants on the exterior (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
small ants on the exterior
So I just noticed we've got a few very small ants crawling around the exterior of our rig. It's been parked in our driveway for a few weeks now after our last weekend trip. We don't keep any food inside when we're not camping. I've tried to follow them back to where they are coming from, but haven't had much luck.

Does anyone have any good remedies? I don't think they've made it inside anywhere.

I don't see them carrying anything like eggs or food.

Thanks in advance.
2001 MB

Re: small ants on the exterior
Reply #1
If it’s been hot and dry, they may be after water.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2

Last summer our rig was seriously invaded by Argentine ants, while parked in the BIL's driveway in Portland.
They moved right in and built several nests within two days. It took a couple weeks to root them out once we left the giant ant hill of Portland. I bought a bottle of Terro and had a big ant party.
Amazon.com : TERRO 2 oz Liquid Ant Killer ll T200 : Home Pest Lures : Garden...
When ants in the mood for sugar, placing a few drops of Terro on a nonporous surface will attract sometimes hundreds of ants and set off a feeding frenzy.
Come back in about 8 hours and the party is over, the worker ants carry the borax-laced Terro home and feed it to the clan, including the queens. The borax is a slow-acting poison, sometimes one application will wipe out an entire colony.

BTW, we had terrible problems with Argentine ants for decades. About eight years ago, during our last long drought, the resident blue belly lizards developed a taste for them. The lizard population has since triple and the ants know it, their populations reduced by 90%. We have few ants today and have not used bug spray for years
Get a pet lizard for your LD.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Larry, is the Terro product safe for pets?  We have two cats and the ants are scouting our house and we are reluctant to use any poison sprays for obvious reasons.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around all tires. We use it all the time and the ants won't cross it.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #5
I agree with Larry about Terro. It has to be the best ant killer around. It's not a deterrent so if you don't like ants crawling around I would not recommend this product for you.
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #6
"Get a pet lizard ..."

That's no joke! When I was a lad we went to the State Fair (NY) and there I fell in love with a Chameleon. Took that little guy/gal home and spent many hours swatting flies to feed him. He also liked sugar and would lick the granules off my finger.

Had him for about a year and he lived in my Mother's potted plants. Sadly he liked to wander, slithered under the apartment door and when my Dad left for work one day he got smushed on the stairs.

Yeah, I know I should have had a Terrarium, would have been safer. Which reminds me of a friend who kept Tarantulas... but that's another story!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!