Skip to main content
Topic: 106+ degrees at the gas pedal (Read 197 times) previous topic - next topic
106+ degrees at the gas pedal
So the wife just returned from a four hour drive during the heat of the day today, and noticed some serious heat on her feet. She pulled the wireless fridge thermometer and stuck the sensor next to the dog house at the floor. The driver's side got above 106 degrees, passenger side got up to 100 degrees. I imagine it might be bad / missing insulation on the dog house, but wanted to check in w/ the hive mind to see if I should look at anything else. She was running the A/C the whole time. The temp gauge in the rig itself never got above a third.
2001 MB

Re: 106+ degrees at the gas pedal
Reply #1
I suggest carefully inspecting the attachment of the doghouse forward under the dash on both sides, make sure the alignment is good, then feel the perimeter of the doghouse for effectiveness of the rubber gasket. Any doubts, pull the doghouse and inspect.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Definitely check it out, but it might be within the range of normal on a hot day.

There's not a lot of space or insulation down there.  My dog has a favorite place to sleep while driving, chosen based on the warmth provided by the running engine.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Remove the doghouse and see how much insulation is left. You might have a nest under the intake manifold, rodents use insulation lining the firewall and doghouse as nest padding. Check to see if any wiring or vacuum lines are damaged. Rats love to chew.
Rat damage | Flickr

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I know this doesn't answer your question but in our old 78 Dodge with a 440 I would of loved to only see 105 by my feet.
Never could get the dog house to seal well. The insulation was questionable also.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #5
So the wife just returned from a four hour drive during the heat of the day today, and noticed some serious heat on her feet. She pulled the wireless fridge thermometer and stuck the sensor next to the dog house at the floor. The driver's side got above 106 degrees, passenger side got up to 100 degrees. I imagine it might be bad / missing insulation on the dog house, but wanted to check in w/ the hive mind to see if I should look at anything else. She was running the A/C the whole time. The temp gauge in the rig itself never got above a third.
Not being near the LD, I'm trying to remember if you can set the air vent control on "mix" and conditioned air will come out through defrost vents and floor vents?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Not being near the LD, I'm trying to remember if you can set the air vent control on "mix" and conditioned air will come out through defrost vents and floor vents?

Chris
In the 01 we have I think the only setting for A/C is blowing out the top vents.
2001 MB

Reply #7
Remove the doghouse and see how much insulation is left. You might have a nest under the intake manifold, rodents use insulation lining the firewall and doghouse as nest padding. Check to see if any wiring or vacuum lines are damaged. Rats love to chew.
Rat damage | Flickr

Larry

I did have the dog house off once tracing a vacuum line issue early last year. I do remember seeing a nest in the valley. I don't recall what it was made of. I vacuumed it out at the time.

Guess it's time to pull it again.

I wonder if there is room to fabricoble some sort of heat shield?
2001 MB

Reply #8
I did have the dog house off once tracing a vacuum line issue early last year. I do remember seeing a nest in the valley. I don't recall what it was made of. I vacuumed it out at the time.
Guess it's time to pull it again.
I wonder if there is room to fabricoble some sort of heat shield?

The missing insulation of the shown LD was repaired with a sheet of automotive thermal insulation, bought at the local speed shop.
A combination of spray contact cement and the Factory wire clips were used to secure the new insulation.
Products - Thermo-Tec Heat Shield Products
Heavy-Duty Spray Adhesive - Thermo-Tec

Ford may still sell the underhood insulation pads.
The floor can have more insulation added. Many auto enthusiasts line the interior of their cars with sound and heat insulation.
DynaMat is a well-known brand and has a variety of options.
Dynamat.com | Hot Rod, Restoration, and Automotive Products

The interior around the dog house should have insulation too, is it still intact?

The exhaust has heat shields under the floor but none next to the driver's foot, the area is restricted, I have not considered this, our floor stays cool enough.
If you search 'E450 hot floor', there are many links, a lot of Class C owners have heat complaints.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze