Skip to main content
Topic: interior white wallboard question, an sealant question (Read 170 times) previous topic - next topic
interior white wallboard question, an sealant question
I have a section of the white wallboard in the roof front drivers corner inside the cabinet, (we have entertainment not bunk).,that has wrinkles in it ??   if it were wall paper I would know it was a water leak but this wallboard??   Never had any dealing with it before.  It is hard not any signs of moisture in the parts.  I intend to completely reseal the roof anyway but is it possible it is our Arizona sun doing this and not water??  Just curious and if it was water this stuff rehardens after getting damp???
Next question is it ethabond that is used on the seams and where are the best places to get the stuff??
Thanks for any info
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Re: interior white wallboard question, an sealant question
Reply #1
The wall, ceiling and door panels are thin luan plywood coated with a plastic sheet that has either a solid color or woodgrain printed on it.  As the panels age, especially in high heat or moisture areas, the plastic coating will start to delaminate and ripple.
This may be what you are seeing.

Eternabond is the stuff to use on the roof seams. Goggle will help you find the best price.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks for the info;   The ripples in the plastic is there any repair for those??
Also if I put on eternabond do you pull off all the old putty stuff on the seams first or clean it and coat over it with the tape?
Also on google I see a lot of people putting on a rubber coating over the whole roof on a ld is that necessary or a waste?
Thanks again
Grumpy
2005 Front Lounge

Reply #4
You might want to look through this information:

The Lazy Daze Companion: eternabond

Any "rubber coating" on the LD roof is not necessary.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
The ripples in the plastic is there any repair for those??

Also if I put on Eternabond do you pull off all the old putty stuff on the seams first or clean it and coat over it with the tape?
Also on Google I see a lot of people putting on a rubber coating over the whole roof on a ld is that necessary or a waste?

The ripples are distortions in the plastic coating and has no easy cure. I guess each ripple could be cut and trimmed with an Exacto knife and glued flat, don't know, I have not tried.
Done this way, the woodgrain pattern may look strange, the rippling is one reason why owners of old LDs often paint the doors.
Let us know if you try fixing them and how it works out..

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze