Skip to main content
Topic: Sealing end caps (Read 103 times) previous topic - next topic
Sealing end caps
I used DAP (see pic) on my endcap seams but I found the durability to be lacking.
It also stays tacky for a long time and collects a dark grime look.

Any other suggestions and also how to remove the old sealer?

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Sealing end caps
Reply #1
Hi Ted. Sounds to me like the sealant was too old (I've done this with white DAP), and didn't cure properly. Coming out of the tube is it really thick and 'chunky'?  Krud Kutter, or Simple Green might take it off with some scrubbing.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi Ted. Sounds to me like the sealant was too old (I've done this with white DAP), and didn't cure properly. Coming out of the tube is it really thick and 'chunky'?  Krud Kutter, or Simple Green might take it off with some scrubbing.  RonB

Okay thanks.
Is this the correct sealer to use though?
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Clear sealant is only clear until dirt bombards it. At that point it is the color of the dirt and whatever mold it attracts. Ideally, use a color close to the color of the parts you are adhering, or at least paintable . Make certain the DAP sealant has no silicone at all, because if it does, resealing may be impossible without cleaning down to bare metal first. 3M fast-cure 5200 is the standard for sealing.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Clear sealant is only clear until dirt bombards it. At that point it is the color of the dirt and whatever mold it attracts. Ideally, use a color close to the color of the parts you are adhering, or at least paintable . Make certain the DAP sealant has no silicone at all, because if it does, resealing may be impossible without cleaning down to bare metal first. 3M fast-cure 5200 is the standard for sealing.

Steve

I think this sealer does not contain silicone fortunately.
2021 Mid Bath