Skip to main content
Topic: Factory installed backup camera (Read 234 times) previous topic - next topic
Factory installed backup camera
Does the Lazy Daze installed camera allow for monitoring of the tow vehicle when driving down the road or is it strictly a backup camera?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Factory installed backup camera
Reply #1
The LD factory installed rear camera is mounted centered just below the roof line of the rig. Viewing a toad with the camera is easily accomplished.

We don’t tow but we do carry bikes on our Tule rack. The camera angle is set to catch the bikes on the monitor as I back the rig into a site (although I do follow the golden  GOAL rule) or while driving down the road. (No need for GOAL there 🙀).

When backing into a site the camera is automatically engaged. While driving down the road, the camera can be engaged with a button on the monitor.

The LD captain can hear what’s going on out back. He/she cannot be heard (at least with the LD factory installed unit) from the camera.

I generally keep the monitor off while driving down the road to reduce distractions, however, I will turn it on briefly on occasion. It can come in handy when changing lanes in heavy traffic.

I am very happy with our unit. I wouldn’t be without it. In fact, when the monitor in our rig developed visual ghosting, I quickly jumped on Amazon and purchased a replacement monitor. The camera itself had no issues.

Hope this helps.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
We have a factory camera and it is helpful for backing in general as well as monitoring towed vehicle connections. Perhaps more important than the camera Is our Road Master brake actuation indicator light that confirms the towed vehicle brake pedal has been engaged when pressing the coach brake pedal.
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #3
I use the camera to keep an eye on the toad and to watch traffic behind me especially on freeways. I do not find it distracting to keep it on but others might disagree. For me it is essential.

Randy
2018 31' TB

Reply #4
When I took delivery in 2014, the camera was pointed to view the trailer hitch and a bit further back.   I adjusted it so that it shows traffic lane behind the tow'd.  The only time it's off, is when the engine is off.  Kent's correct that it defaults to on when in reverse and you need to engage it going forward.
It helps me keep track of traffic overtaking in adjacent lanes.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #5
There are a couple of ways to set up a rear-view camera. Most are optimized for backing up--aimed so that the rear bumper is just at the bottom of the image. This lets you judge just how close you are to backing into a tree, fence, etc. With typical cameras that I've used, this setup also lets you see the towbar and the front part of a towed car, but not vehicles following you.

The other way, of course, is to aim the camera higher, so that it acts as a sort of rear view mirror substitute.

It's a question of what's most important to you. For me, I have large outside rear view mirrors to see following traffic, but the camera is my only way of gauging precisely how close I am to objects behind me, so I keep it aimed downward.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
There are a couple of ways to set up a rear-view camera. Most are optimized for backing up--aimed so that the rear bumper is just at the bottom of the image. This lets you judge just how close you are to backing into a tree, fence, etc. With typical cameras that I've used, this setup also lets you see the towbar and the front part of a towed car[/url], but not vehicles following you.

Our LD's camera is aimed this way, with the towbar and bike rack at the bottom of the screen and the back end of the toad at the top, just enough of a view to know when it's safe to move over a lane. The camera stays on all the time.
If you tow, you need a camera.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Beware when backing by camera - you may be able to see what is near the bumper and spare, but that is NOT where ALL  obstructions may lie! Experience.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
GOAL. GOAL. GOAL!  ;) (Well, unless you're rolling down the road....)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Thanks for the replies.

My main concern was whether the camera could be used as a monitor or not rather than strictly engaging when the vehicle is put into reverse.

I think that answer is yes.
2021 Mid Bath