Skip to main content
Topic: Awning damage (Read 797 times) previous topic - next topic
Awning damage
I guess I damaged my awning. First there was a sudden gust, lifting the awning half a foot or so and letting it fall back. I then hastily retracted the awning and had the feeling that it was not going in all the way like before. By applying (too much) force to the cranking mechanism I broke the "eye" and also some other part that I found on the ground. See attached pictures.

I just talked to Todd from Lazy Daze who said this can be repaired (and they have lots of parts in stock). He said it's a Fiamma F45 (plus some more numbers). However, I have to open the awning to find the label with the exact model number - and that will be a problem since the eye broke. I guess I can try with some pliers, but it will be no fun and I don't know for sure how well I can close the awning after that.

The Lazy Daze manual mentions a separate manual for the awning. However, I don't have that manual. Does somebody else have a manual for this kind of awning and could send me a scan? Or could someone with a similar Lazy Daze (2001 Mid-Bath) open his awning and tell me their model number and where exactly the label is?

Well, this is the first really broken part in more than two years. On top, I probably did this myself. So, no reason to complain, just something to fix. And as usual not exactly the best timing for such an "extra."

Klaus

2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Awning damage
Reply #1
You might try Superior Quality Products for Motorhomes, Caravans and Camper Vans - Fiamma ; click on the "Spare Parts" tab. Fiamma has a large inventory of parts and can offer guidance on what is needed and also installation and/or repair; a call to their customer service number may be the best way to get the correct parts.

The "eye" and the handle and all the other plastic parts are very vulnerable to UV damage; UV-blasted parts turn to shards and powder quite easily! If the awning on your 2001 is original, it's long overdue for plastic disintegration.  ;) 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
As Joan said, that "eye" is a cheap piece of plastic where Fiamma should have used a metal casting. Yours is not the first to break, believe me!

It is replaceable. It's held on its shaft by a split pin, which can be driven out with a suitably sized nail with the point ground flat, or something similar. (I don't recognize the other broken plastic parts you showed, so I can't offer any suggestions about them.)

I'd be surprised if the eye were different between awning models--the one on my 2014 Trillium's little Fiamma awning looks just like that--but be aware that midbaths were sold with two different awnings: the standard one, or an optional longer one. When I broke the awning on my 2003 midbath, I ordered the standard one as a replacement, only to discover that it was shorter than what the rig had come with, and would not fit the mounting brackets. I had to sell it at a loss and reorder the longer model. Again, this probably would not affect the eye, but it's something to watch out for when specifying an awning for a midbath.

For what it's worth, I've attached the parts diagram for the Fiamma F45 Plus awning.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
My 2003 broke after 15 years or so of normal use.  My impression was that UV degrades the plastic.  I replaced it myself, ordering the parts from Fiama USA in Florida.  They have manuals and parts diagrams on their website. Winch awnings for wall installation

The replacement wasn't hard, but you will need a pop rivet tool.  This video is helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_c-rqi-Js

It's a good time to inspect and possibly replace the shock absorbers too.  Larry Wade has some useful pictures: Fiamma awning problems and fixes | Flickr

Rich
'03 MB in NC

2003 MB

Reply #4
After going through the Fiamma parts catalog I'm quite sure that I have a F45Til or similar awning. I will hopefully know for sure after opening the awning (for which the temperature here in Hurricane, UT has to drop a little first). Attached is the parts diagram for the awning.

The "eye" should be part #98673-001 - that's pretty clear. The plastic tube is according to Todd from some kind of shock absorption mechanism (I don't remember what he said exactly). The only part that I can find in the diagram with any tube-like form is #98655-183. Does that look like a shock absorption part? If not, what are the shock absorption parts in the diagram?

I hope I get the awning out and get more clarity about this in an hour or so.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Bad news. I can turn the stub of the eye relatively easy with an adjustable wrench, but the awning is not coming out. I think I should not pull on the awning - it's now in, and I prefer to have a retracted awning that does not work over an extended awning that I don't get back in.

I'm traveling tomorrow to Bryce Canyon National Park where it will be much cooler than here in Hurricane. I hope the lower temperature will help me to figure out how to proceed with this. I am, of course, also grateful for tips from the forum.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #6
The only part that I can find in the diagram with any tube-like form is #98655-183. Does that look like a shock absorption part? If not, what are the shock absorption parts in the diagram?

Larry has the invoice for the part numbers he ordered.  Yours might be similar.  Fiamma shock absorber | Part numbers for the F45 awning | Flickr

The right and left shock absorbers are different parts with different numbers. 

Once your trip is over and you feel comfortable opening the awning, you can inspect the shock absorbers.  Mine were cracked, but not as bad as Larry's.   Broken shock absorber-left side | lw5315us | Flickr

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #7
Thanks, Rich.

The Flickr pictures definitely show the part that also broke in my awning. The Fiamma price list that I downloaded from their website shows these items to be available. However, I suspect that I also broke something else since I cannot get the awning out anymore (see before).

By the way - my trip will not be over soon. I just 10 days ago became a full-time RVer. Yeah! I guess under these circumstances I will have to find a repair shop that can help me and to dish out some money.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
Thanks, Rich.

The Flickr pictures definitely show the part that also broke in my awning. The Fiamma price list that I downloaded from their website shows these items to be available. However, I suspect that I also broke something else since I cannot get the awning out anymore (see before).

By the way - my trip will not be over soon. I just 10 days ago became a full-time RVer. Yeah! I guess under these circumstances I will have to find a repair shop that can help me and to dish out some money. Or look in St. George since you're so close

Klaus
You'll be driving through Cedar City which is large enough that you may find someone there ??
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #9
You'll be driving through Cedar City...
What I could find today on the Internet does not make me believe that there is a shop in Cedar City that could help me right away.

I guess it is better to check on repair shops first on the phone. I will therefore go tomorrow as planned - and not via Cedar City - to Bryce Canyon National Park (I have to get higher and out of the heat) and check things out from there.

Thanks for all the input and the links.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #10
Any of the awning parts will need to be ordered.  I have never seen Fiamma parts in an RV shop.
You may have more broken in the gearbox beside the plastic hook and would hold off on buying anything until the cause has been determined. The hook may have broken when you tried to open the awning if something was broken inside.`
If repairable, I would add a set of the plastic shock absorbers that Rich mentioned, they are expendable and will eventually break if the awning is often used.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
I don’t know if there is any chance of the awning popping out of the casing while traveling down the road but it may be a good idea to secure it on each end with strapping.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
"it may be a good idea to secure it on each end with strapping."

Agreed! I had that experience (awning loss while driving) with my first Lazy Daze, and don't want to repeat it.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
I
You may have more broken in the gearbox beside the plastic hook and would hold off on buying anything until the cause has been determined.
I think that is actually the case. When trying to extend the awning (with the help of an adjustable wrench on he stub of the eye) nothing happens except some clicking noise. I'm glad that I broke whatever I broke when I retracted the awning the last time - it is now retracted and secured on my rig iso that I can use the rig for traveling without problems.

I guess it will be necessary to take the awning of and then apart to check what is wrong with it and whether that can be repaired - right? This is definitely not something that I want to do on my own.

I am right now in Bryce Canyon National Park and will travel slowly more north and more up to beat the heat of the summer. Except for going for the next few days to Capitol Reef National Park I have no concert plans where to go.

I hope to find a repair shop on my way. If someone here has an idea where I could go - please let me know.

Maybe I could also already order parts from Lazy Daze (the suspension parts, the hook, or possibly the whole gearbox) and have them on hold there until I know where to send them. Would that be a good idea?

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #14
Klaus

Have you given any consideration to replacement with a more reliable brand?
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Have you given any consideration to replacement with a more reliable brand?
You mean more reliable than Lazy Daze? Not really!  ;D

Regarding the awning - the Fiamma awning made it well through almost 20 years and was now initially damaged probably by a wind gust (and then I probably added some more damage).

However, I am open to get a new awning. What would be at this point in time "a more reliable brand" and how much would I probably have to pay for it?

Klaus 
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #17
You mean more reliable than Lazy Daze? Not really!  ;D

Regarding the awning - the Fiamma awning made it well through almost 20 years and was now initially damaged probably by a wind gust (and then I probably added some more damage).

However, I am open to get a new awning. What would be at this point in time "a more reliable brand" and how much would I probably have to pay for it?

Klaus 

I have  replaced my Fiamma awning on my 30' and it was around $1300 or something like that 8 yrs ago. Got it from Fiamma. If you have to replace your awning and order it from Fiamma, contact me offline. I have some tips for you. Personally, I think the Fiamma awnings are "flimsy" in comparison to other brands, mainly because of the opening/closing mechanisms. That said, a strong gust of wind is a brand equalizer. 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #18
"I am open to get a new awning."

As Joan so aptly pointed out, there are a goodly number of options from several suppliers.

When ordering my rig I already knew, from prior research, that I did NOT want the Fiamma.  After a lengthy conversation with Steve Newton I wound up with an A&E (Dometic) 8500 in a 20' length, on a 30' LD, and a color that compliments the coach. Steve agreed to reinforce the mounting points during construction.

I lost that 1st awning to a wind storm at Custer Battlefield but my insurance covered it and it was replaced with a twin of the original. I have never had an issue with the Dometic brand.   ;D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Replacing the entire awning with something else is going to be substantially more expensive than repairs, unless the fabric needs to be replaced.  On the other hand, I've replaced more than 1 thing at substantial expense just because I didn't want to deal with it anymore....

My 2000 miles away guess is that your crank (the part the eye hook attaches to) broke.  Removing the crank for inspection, covered by the video linked above, would be the first step towards figuring things out.

You can remove the crank from the end, strap the awning ends to keep it closed, and drive around with the part removed while you wait for replacements. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC

2003 MB

Reply #20
I broke our MB's awning when rolling it up. Once I got home, I took it off the coach and repaired it inside the garage. With two ladders you can remove and replace the entire assembly by yourself. Of course, having someone assist means you are less likely to damage the LD or the awning housing.

Interestingly, the upper edge of the Lazy Daze under the awning was primed, but not painted. I suppose the coach was painted after LD mounted the awning.

I liked the Fiamma. It had its quirks, but always went in and out easily. Adjusting it after the repair was a bit finicky. The part I broke was this one:

98655-433 STOP DEVICE D.60 F45TIL/F65

Our current coach has a Carefree. It originally had torsion springs; I found the "large roller shade" a pain to handle, so I installed a Carefree kit that converted it to a crank in/out. When I crank that handle, it brings a smile to my face- as it did with the LD. I must have some storefront baker blood in me.   ;-)

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #21
And then there is us. We NEVER use the awning. I think we used it once while camping.  Our LD was picked up in June, 2003 (I think this week is the anniversary of our LD pick up) and that means 17 trouble free years of awning non use. Other than that, it is extended once per year to make sure it hasn't rotted away. I think if you don't tow a car, extending an awning complicated leaving the campground for sightseeing, shopping, etc. Some folks have no use for the electric step, we have no use for the awning. Different strokes for different folks.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #22
And then there is us. We NEVER use the awning. I think we used it once while camping.  Our LD was picked up in June, 2003 (I t I think if you don't tow a car, extending an awning complicated leaving the campground for sightseeing, shopping, etc.
An electric awning avoids the complications: 15 seconds out, then 15 seconds in if you want to go someplace. We discovered we used the electric awning 10 times (literally) more often than the original manual awning. It's a joy to run out and keep the sun off the dinette, even if it's just a stop for lunch, or whirl it in if the wind threatens - and not even leave the motorhome.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #23
After going through the Fiamma parts catalog I'm quite sure that I have a F45Til

The plastic tube is according to Todd from some kind of shock absorption mechanism (I don't remember what he said exactly). The only part that I can find in the diagram with any tube-like form is #98655-183. Does that look like a shock absorption part? If not, what are the shock absorption parts in the diagram?

The 'plastic tube' is the shock absorber, they break with use and age. If you repair the awning, get the pair.
This file will explain this better.
Fiamma awning problems and fixes | Flickr

Our Fiama awning is almost 18 years old and is original, it gets used often, often at home.
I only extend it out as far as needed to reduce the chance of a gust of wind damaging it, these awnings have no business being up when winds are expected, we never leave the site with it out.
To ease using it when camped in the same place for a few days, leave the awning arms connected, the awning can still be retracted, leaving about a foot of fabric exposed. It has been used this way in high winds without problems. Leaving it deployed this way provides shelter for the coach's entry door during rains.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #24
I got now the two shock absorbers and the crank which seems to be broken, too, since I cannot get the awning to extend even if I use a wrench on the remaining stub that once was an eye. However, my first attempt to get the cap over the crank off failed, and I do not want to use too much force and brake even more. According to Todd it should be easy to replace the crank once the cap has been removed.

Is there a trick to get this cap off?

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath