Skip to main content
Topic: Another caliper piston seal leak? (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic
Another caliper piston seal leak?
Hello, I have a new to me 2000 MB LD.
In the process of getting the Borg valves installed, the technician found brake fluid on the inner dually passage side tire.
They replaced the caliper, showing me that the piston seal had failed and had been leaking fluid.
The brake fluids when checked was not low to any measurable degree, so I assumed that it had not been occurring for any length of time.
The previous owner had new brake pad installed in April of this year.
This weekend I had the LD at home, doing some maintenance on the windows.
When doing my walk around before taking it back to storage, I looked at the inner dually passenger side tire (kneeling down and looking at it from the drivers side) and I spotted a thin straight line of fluid along the inner wheel.
I am grateful I know that this needs attention before I go down the road.
My question is: has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the solution?
I am actually taking it in this week for a mechanical check at a "Fleet maintenance" service center and will mostly likely have them do the diagnostics. (Unit was inspected prior to purchase, this "check" is for my peace on mind)
T & W is the place that installed the caliper and I know is not something they typically do, they happened to have a mechanic there that day that diagnosed and replaced the the caliper. Tire repair is there speciality.
Note, it has been challenging to finding service centers  here in Wichita Kansas for the mechanical aspect of this unit, I have found that service centers that work on fleet, tractor or diesel trucks are the only ones willing to work on the LD.
Any insight is appreciated,
Kimberley from Kansas with her 2000 MB LD

2000 Mid Bath

Re: Another caliper piston seal leak?
Reply #1
Unless you're very sure that the "fluid" running down the inside of an inside dual is brake fluid, I would request the shop to check for a leaking axle seal. A "sniff test" could indicate which fluid is leaking; axle and brake fluids smell different. 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Unless you're very sure that the "fluid" running down the inside of an inside dual is brake fluid, I would request the shop to check for a leaking axle seal. A "sniff test" could indicate which fluid is leaking; axle and brake fluids smell different.

To determine what the fluid is, get a finger full of the liquid and rub it between your fingers, if it is very slippery and has a very strong smell, it's axle fluid, probably from a leaking axle seal.
Brake fluid isn't exceptionally slippery or as odiferous, it washes off with water, gear fluid will not. If you are not sure what brake fluid smells and feels like, the master brake cylinder is full of free samples.

With the fluid running down the side of the inside dual, odds are the leak is brake fluid, either from a defective new caliper or the brake hose. It's possible to inspect the caliper and hose without removing the rear wheels.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
"...if it is very slippery and has a very strong smell, it's axle fluid, probably from a leaking axle seal."
---
Axle fluid does smell very strong and has a "greasy" feel; I know this because that was the stuff that was running down the side of my rig's driver's side inner dual a few years ago when I was at a Ladeze get together in Oregon. The problem turned out to be caused by a defective axle seal.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Hi Kimberly;   I'll vote with Larry for a leak in a rubber hose brake line right at the wheel. A 2000 coach now 20 years old, could have a pinhole leak. I've seen similar on an old car. It only leaks when you are really pushing on the brake pedal. Most of it vaporizes in the wind stream. It also is likely to leak right at a metal fitting.  That yours was leaking in storage indicates it is getting larger. A rock or some street debris could have nicked the hose.  Usually hoses for the front wheels go first because of turning, but rear wheels flex up and down a lot also.  While that caliper piston seal could have been bad, it is unlikely the same place twice that soon.  Also check that the bleeder valve is closed tightly and not leaking.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5

It is scheduled to be diagnosed and hopefully fixed tomorrow at a shop that works on big rig diesel trucks.
I took it there yesterday before the winds started here in Kansas, wow is it blowing out there.
Will be interesting to see what they say.

Next stop is  Atlas Axle and Spring to have the axle, shocks, springs, and carriage bolts (?) looked over.

Thank you and I have a feeling that looking under the LD will become a natural part of my final check before taking off down the road, Lucky I looked when I did,
Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #6
"I have a feeling that looking under the LD will become a natural part of my final check before taking off down the road."
---
Good plan! Doing a walk-around (and an "over/under") before taking off, along with a fluid level/engine check and tire pressure check (and tow vehicle connections, if applicable), is SOP for many RVers. The "pre-flight" checks don't take much time, and can prevent all sorts of "Oh, noooooo...." moments!

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
This is a follow-up regarding the rear passenger inner dually leak , a bit delayed, sorry about that.

When I took it to H & M here in Wichita, it was what they called a "rear wheel seal leak". It was a relief to get that fixed.

I was waiting to have another shop, Atlas Spring and Axle take a look at the under carriage to get a complete picture of any additional repairs or maintenance needed.

I got the LD back from the shop yesterday, and according to mechanic the only thing he could see that needed attention was the rear springs replaced. He said it would improve the rear sway when dealing with wind. He did spend a few hours with it, stating the shocks and ujoints still looked like they were in good shape, he actually said for the age of the LD he thought it looked great overall.

He said a sway bar would be something I would have to purchase and they could install. This would help stiffen things up as well.
I have it scheduled a time for the rear springs to be replaced.

I have read on the forum that some LD owners have lifted the back end to avoid scraping the back end when existing their drive ways.
However, some do feel that by adding the height to the back end it affects the performance of the LD and added leveling issues.
Perhaps it is something I will address latter.

We do have a pitch to the end of drive and would like to have the LD here at home in the future.
It may be a 2 years before we have made the alteration needed on our property to store the LD here.
Wish I could have it here, would make maintenance so much easier.

Thank you all, Kimberley

2000 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Instead of changing the rear springs and replacing the sway bar, drive it for a while and see how it feels .
95% of LDs use the stock springs and sway bars. Upgrading gets expensive fast.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
They me quoted $600.00 for rear spring replacment.
On the highway going 55 to 62 mph, on windy day with semi's passing I do feel a bit of a sway in the back.
I have only been on the highway a few times, and your right, I am still getting use to the handling of the LD. 
My main goal was to do all that I could this year to improve the performance and safety.

Hoping to travel out of state next year, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #10
Every LDs feels a bit of sway or movement when passed by a bus or semi truck and trailer.

BTW, a new set of of quality leaf springs cost more than $600, just for The parts.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
"...some LD owners have lifted the back end to avoid scraping the back end when existing their drive ways."

If your rig is anything like mine (2004 30'IB) there should be two 'skids' welded to the frame at the rear end. These are there to skid or drag the rear when negotiating a sharp dip. Many a time I've drug those skids on concrete to passage such an area. You won't like the sound but it saves the hitch and bumper! It also helps if you can approach at an angle and roll over it slowly one corner at a time.

As to the springs, yours are adequate and there's no need to spend big bucks there. A beefier rear sway bar will help a whole lot.   ::)   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12

I got the LD back from the shop yesterday, and according to mechanic the only thing he could see that needed attention was the rear springs replaced. He said it would improve the rear sway when dealing with wind.
Thank you all, Kimberley

I had my shocks replaced with Koni Shocks. Those plus a new steering stabilizer all but eliminated any sway I had. Best investment I have made. It was like getting a brand new riding rig.

KONI SHOCKS
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
I had my shocks replaced with Koni Shocks. Those plus a new steering stabilizer all but eliminated any sway I had. Best investment I have made. It was like getting a brand new riding rig.

KONI SHOCKS
Which model of Koni?
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #17
According to the Koni website, these are the shocks for the (92-20) E-450:

92-19 E350, E450 - FSD

Front - 8805 1042
Rear - 8805 1043

(Note that the price listed is per shock, not per pair.)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
According to the Koni website, these are the shocks for the (92-20) E-450:

92-19 E350, E450 - FSD

Front - 8805 1042
Rear - 8805 1043

(Note that the price listed is per shock, not per pair.)
Joan, those are the FSD "frequency selective" versions and are the newest . I have them, they are gold. I believe the red ones that were mentioned are the original versions.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #19
Can't say; the FSD Konis were the only ones that I saw on the website that were listed for the E450 chassis. The others were for F series pickups or the class A F53 chassis.

2003 TK has a new home