Skip to main content
Topic: 1982 M20 Lazy Daze Wiring Help needed (Read 485 times) previous topic - next topic
1982 M20 Lazy Daze Wiring Help needed
Adding inverter and batteries to our Lazy Daze.

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the older 80's Lazy Daze built on a G30 Chevy Van?

Trying to trace all the wired is a bit time-consuming.

Also any info out there for Lyle Power converter LI-28R?
Does it just convert to 12v or also charge house battery?

Normally Google provides me results but at a loss on this one.

1982 M20 Lazy Daze Chevy G30 Van in San Diego

Re: 1982 M20 Lazy Daze Wiring Help needed
Reply #1

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the older 80's Lazy Daze built on a G30 Chevy Van?

Trying to trace all the wired is a bit time-consuming.

Normally Google provides me results but at a loss on this one.

It will help if you tell us the build year and exact model.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Per se there are no useful wiring diagrams for Lazy Dazes. Circuits can be traced with a voltmeter and pulling fuses. Battery charging can be checked if the battery voltage starts to rise after connecting to shorepower. I suggest you post some pics of the converter with the access panel open and closed. It may be similar to other makes/models. Is the M20 the coach model? Describe the floorplan - perhaps it is a Multiplan, which has a wetbath in the rear corner streetside and the sink outside the room.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the older 80's Lazy Daze built on a G30 Chevy Van? Trying to trace all the wired is a bit time-consuming.

Steve is correct, there are no as-built schematics for any LD.  Time to start tracing the wiring and drawing your own schematic.
If you are planning on a serious upgraded electrical, you will want to upsize some of the wiring and will definitely need a wiring diagram for planning.

The converter must be obsolete, I have never seen one or find any mention on Google.
Our 1983 22' Front Lounge had a Parallax Power Center, similar to the ones used today. Not sure what Steve had in his 1983 LD.
Is your converter still operational?

LDs of your vintage only have one, series- 27 coach battery, what and where are you planning on adding enough batteries to run an inverter?
Lead-acid batteries must be ventilated to the exterior, to prevent the build-up of explosive hydrogen gas and acidic fumes.
In our 1983, I removed the stock coach battery, located under the hood, and added two T-105 deep cycle batteries, positioned inside a, sealed, ventilated to the exterior box, behind one of the barrel chairs.
Today, the same can be done without the ventilated box, using AGM or lithium batteries.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Thanks Larry,

The Converter is still operational. However, I do not know if it charges and have not had time to test to find out.

I guess I can leave it alone until it needs to be replaced, plenty of other things need upgrading.

The floor plan is a rear lounge. Trying to decide where to mount the batteries safely and what to do with the front existing battery. Maybe have it as a backup for the new system or a backup for the starting battery.

I was planning a pair of T105's also, do you have any pics of your build or advice?

Steve is correct, there are no as-built schematics for any LD.  Time to start tracing the wiring and drawing your own schematic.
If you are planning on a serious upgraded electrical, you will want to upsize some of the wiring and will definitely need a wiring diagram for planning.

The converter must be obsolete, I have never seen one or find any mention on Google.
Our 1983 22' Front Lounge had a Parallax Power Center, similar to the ones used today. Not sure what Steve had in his 1983 LD.
Is your converter still operational?

LDs of your vintage only have one, series- 27 coach battery, what and where are you planning on adding enough batteries to run an inverter?
Lead-acid batteries must be ventilated to the exterior, to prevent the build-up of explosive hydrogen gas and acidic fumes.
In our 1983, I removed the stock coach battery, located under the hood, and added two T-105 deep cycle batteries, positioned inside a, sealed, ventilated to the exterior box, behind one of the barrel chairs.
Today, the same can be done without the ventilated box, using AGM or lithium batteries.

Larry

Reply #7
I believe my converter is the same. I have a 1984 multi plan 22’, Chevy G30. My converter only converts all 12 volt circuits to 110v while plugged into city power with the 15amp plug. I have the original owners manual from Lazy Daze explaining The converter..could upload a pic if needed

-Chris
-Chris

Reply #8
Oh and, mine does not charge the batteries. Only the engine alternator does that job.

-Chris
-Chris

Reply #9
I believe my converter is the same. I have a 1984 multi plan 22’, Chevy G30. My converter only converts all 12 volt circuits to 110v while plugged into city power with the 15amp plug. I have the original owners manual from Lazy Daze explaining The converter..could upload a pic if needed
Chris, if your rig pic is yours, it is not a Multiplan. It would be either a Twin-King or Rear Lounge. This is from the 90's:

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
In the early '80s, at least, LD provided a 30A converter that charges the battery and connects to standard 30A RV service IF you ordered the roof air, which most did. Without the roof air, only a 15A service was provided, so perhaps the Lyle converter was the one used. However, I would assume that the location would be the same as with the upgraded converter, so retrofitting 30A service would be pretty straightforward. A pic of the front panel and fuse access of the Lyle converter would help.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Chris, if your rig pic is yours, it is not a Multiplan. It would be either a Twin-King or Rear Lounge. This is from the 90's:

In the early 80's, LD produced shorter RVs than our old 22' models.
If you look at the avatar photo, it looks like a T/K until you notice the window next the coach door is missing,
I don't have any sale brochures from this time period and have no idea what LD called it other than a M20, which sound like a branch of British intelligence.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12

The floor plan is a rear lounge. Trying to decide where to mount the batteries safely and what to do with the front existing battery. Maybe have it as a backup for the new system or a backup for the starting battery.I was planning a pair of T105's also, do you have any pics of your build or advice?

The converter may be stock but I can't imagine LD would place it on a shelf with the wiring exposed.
I would jettison the battery under the hood, your G30 does not need any extra weight on the front end and the weight will be regained when the two new batteries are installed in the rear.
A good coach battery and jumper cables, or a hard-wired jumper, will do a good job of jump-starting the engine without the extra weight.

We sold our 1983 LD 18 years ago, when we bought a new 2003 23.5' FL, right when I bought my first digital camera, unfortunately, I did not photo the battery box.
I'm not familiar with the interior of an M20, I have only seen them from the outside, so no recommendations on the locating of new batteries.
In our 1983, the new battery box was sized to fit two T-105s and was mounted to the wall, in the back of a barrel chair, it was made of 3/4" plywood. The removable top of the box was sealed with weatherstripping and secured with wingnuts, removable so the batteries could be watered.  A remote battery watering system would have been a good idea but was
 not available then.
To provide ventilation, a 3" round hole was drilled through the exterior wall into the side of the box, a short piece of 3" ABS plastic drain pipe spaned the hole, glued to the box inside and sealed to the outside of the coach, the exterior hole covered with a chrome marine vent cover. As I mentioned before, AGM batteries do not need to be ventilated to the outside and would save a lot of work.
If you have the time, equipment and expertise, a battery tray could be fabricated to hang the batteries under the frame, as I did in our 2003 LD.
Battery tray- new | Flickr

Extra batteries are usually installed under a bench seat or in a lower interior cabinet.

Larry
Larry

Reply #13
Steve, indeed you are right. We do have a 1984 rear lounge. I have the LD original floor plan  brochure I’ll upload, and the original owners manual explaining the converter as well if it helps the question about older converters in the first place.

Side note. I have ALL the original paperwork, brochures, LD owners manual, chevy G30 manual, original equipment list manuals, etc. from the factory. Is there a place that I could upload this for help to owners with older units?

Let me know as I’m a newbie

-Chris
-Chris

Reply #14
I can certainly use any of those brochures and owner manuals.. could save me hours of time!

Steve, indeed you are right. We do have a 1984 rear lounge. I have the LD original floor plan  brochure I’ll upload, and the original owners manual explaining the converter as well if it helps the question about older converters in the first place.

Side note. I have ALL the original paperwork, brochures, LD owners manual, chevy G30 manual, original equipment list manuals, etc. from the factory. Is there a place that I could upload this for help to owners with older units?

Let me know as I’m a newbie

-Chris

Reply #15
I could take lots of pics and upload in a private message, but wondering if it’s better to upload it all to a part of the forum?? Chris H, any suggestions? I’ll start taking pics of the whole binder soon, and upload however I can. It’s a wealth of info for the 80’s owners.

-Chris
-Chris

Reply #16
I don’t believe the PM function allows photo file uploads.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
I could take lots of pics and upload in a private message, but wondering if it’s better to upload it all to a part of the forum?? Chris H, any suggestions? I’ll start taking pics of the whole binder soon, and upload however I can. It’s a wealth of info for the 80’s owners.

-Chris
Chris, you can create an album in the photos section. Click on "media" on the home page. If you need help figuring it out, let us know. Your documentation would be valuable for our group. 

Chris

Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #18
My memory (always suspect) is that the Mothership has always been highly protective of its owner’s manuals and that they did not want them copied and posted on this forum or elsewhere, a restriction we have adhered to in the past. Wrong? changed? 🤔 — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #19
Here are a few more pics of the Lyle LI-28R front panel and rear.

Reply #20
As far as I know, you're correct, Jon. Steve Newton has said in the past that it was OK for members to privately share manuals with each other, but that he didn't want them publicly available. Given how many other manufacturers routinely post their manuals online in PDF format, that seems foolish to me, but I'm not the copyright holder.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #21

{Quote from: Jon & Loni  -  An hour ago}
My memory (always suspect) is that the Mothership has always been highly protective of its owner's manuals and that they did not want them copied and posted on this forum or elsewhere, a restriction we have adhered to in the past. Wrong? changed?🤔

It appears that we cannot post a copy without incurring the wrath of LD.
We need legal advice from someone who actually knows about copyright laws. How many years is a copyright good for?

I have never found an online LD manual, either no one has bothered or the Mothership tracked them down and had them removed. Providing private copies is a task, our manual has 96 pages, newer LD manuals maybe even longer.  I wish there was a solution to this, many have asked for manuals through the years.

Larry
Larry

Reply #22
Here are a few more pics of the Lyle LI-28R front panel and rear.

It appears your 'converter' is simply a transformer with a rectified output to provide unregulated 12VDC. The tank level readout and fuse panel are combined in a unit labeled 'Jensen'. So where is your AC distribution panel with breakers? A pic of that?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #23
It appears your 'converter' is simply a transformer with a rectified output to provide unregulated 12VDC. The tank level readout and fuse panel are combined in a unit labeled 'Jensen'. So where is your AC distribution panel with breakers? A pic of that?

If planning an electrical upgrade, dumping the old-school converter and replacing it with a bigger, 'smart' converter is highly recommended. It will provide better, faster charging while prolonging the life of the battery.

A series of photos, showing all the various electrical components, would be helpful for us trying figure out your LD's electrical system. For only being one year older than the 1983 LDs that both Steve and I owned, your LD appears to wired a bit differently.

Larry

Larry

Reply #24
I have everything that was given to the original owner, in a very large binder I might add, that I think would be great to make public for the owners of older units. If I am not to post on the forum, please let me know as I am taking pics of everything now. MetalSpine, I’ll forward you wiring diagrams and such in a personal message ASAP.

-Chris
-Chris