Skip to main content
Topic: Rust bubbles under paint (Read 218 times) previous topic - next topic
Rust bubbles under paint
I have a 31' LD.
Above the rear window are 4 or 5 rust bubbles.
I think they were caused when a new window was installed and the paint was disturbed allowing moisture beneath.
I would prefer not taking my LD to a paint shop seeing that I full-time.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Mark
rs/markwilliams/Desktop/image1.jpeg
/Users/markwilliams/Desktop/IMG_7041.JPG
2002 30' IB

Re: Rust bubbles under paint
Reply #1
Mark, can’t see your photo.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
How do I upload photos?
2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Scroll down to the bottom of my response and click on the grayed out “Reply” button.

Then find where it says “Add files by dragging & dropping or selecting them.”  I’ve found that dragging and dropping doesn’t work so click on the “Selecting them” box.  Find the photos on your device and add which ones you want.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
x
2002 30' IB

Reply #5
These bubbles are located above the rear window. I replaced the old broken window with a new window and frame from the mothership. It was professionally installed by Camping World.
2002 30' IB

Reply #6
It was professionally installed by Camping World.

Well, that explains the bubbles.
What a poor installation, instead of using polyurethane, they used silicone. Not professional.
Once silicone sealant is applied to metal, it can never be resealed again with total removal of the silicone down to bare metal.
Silicone sealant has no use in the coach of any LD, the Mothership doesn't use it for anything. It belongs in the few places where it is needed in the engine.
Even the edges where bubbles have not occurred yet show signs of lifting, almost like there is a chemical reaction.
I would expect more bubbles to occur along the seam. It this happening along the entire top seam?

I'm not sure how I would progress, maybe cutting all the silicone and bubbles off, sanding everything down to bare metal, etching, and repainting. 
I would seek professional advice.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Hi inaDaze;  Just to be picky, rust is iron oxide. The skin metal of a LD is aluminum oxide. So aluminum corrodes in the presence of water and some salt. It creeps up under the paint just like rust does. The paint is ruined anyway, so you might as well wire brush it, to see what is there. If that is silicone, as Larry said, get that removed. You'll need to get down to bare  metal. Apply some primer. You can leave the window in if it is siliconed in place. I would re-caulk the visible part after repainting the corroded area.
       There are primers meant for aluminum. (you can use a brush for small areas).  White paint, Ford Oxford White from a car store. A bit of sanding and masking tape etc, and it shouldd look ok. The good part is it is pretty high off the ground, so people won't be able to get too close to look at it.  What you have is certainly not a 'professional' job.  I use an acrylic white caulk. Dynaflex 230.  Fast cure 3M 5200 is the best. Tricky to work with, but very durable.
    How long ago was this done?  Camping world you say?  I've heard that some CW stores do good work, and some don't. Mostly depends on the store managers experience level, and each tecnicians abilities.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Thanks for everyones advice. Time to stop by a body shop.

2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Thanks for everyones advice. Time to stop by a body shop.

A word of advice.   Made sure the body shop is experienced with aluminum.   Most auto body shops are not.   It takes special equipment and aluminum experience.   

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
Thank you!
2002 30' IB