Skip to main content
Topic: Would like some input (Read 344 times) previous topic - next topic
Would like some input
Hi all,

I am new to this group and have been searching for a preowned LD. I looked at one today that I would love to have some input about. It is a 2000 26.5 with 110400 miles. I am concerned about the miles and will get it inspected if I decide to go further. It is in CA and I did not see any rust at all or any cracks around the window seals. Everything worked inside except one light but that may just be burned out. The dealer is asking $26900 and to me that seems pretty high. I was thinking more like $20000 and would like to know your opinion on the price. The previous owner was the 3rd owner and it doesn't look like maintenance records are available. Is it possible to get maintenance records from carfax like you get with cars? Tires have a date from 42nd week of 2018. Is it possible to put a bigger TV and mount it on a swing out arm or something like that? I could only find 4 electrical outlets - is that normal? The awning is manual - is it possible to put in an electrical one?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about and be checking?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and opinions.

Ann

Re: Would like some input
Reply #1
1.  I agree that the price is high especially when you have no maintenance records available.
2.  I don't believe Carfax can help you.
3.  Making your changes to the tv set up is possible but the cost may be prohibitive depending on your budget.
4.  4 electrical outlets could be considered normal.
5.  Yes, an electrical awning is possible although again - the cost may be prohibitive .
6.  Along with the engine, the transmission and differential are major components that could fail in a 20 year old RV.
7.  A major concern is water damage that is very common and not always easy to detect.

To buy an LD this old if you have no prior experience with rvs and, I assume, can't do many repairs yourself is not a good idea.  
Your chances of a bad experience are much higher then your chances of having a good experience.      Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
Thank you for your answer. I found on the website tonight the list of stuff that needs be done about 100000 miles. I do have RV experience but with a travel trailer and that was a new  one. Would an inspection be able to tell if that major maintenance was done? I am thinking good to move on.

Reply #3
Thank you for your answer. I found on the website tonight the list of stuff that needs be done about 100000 miles. I do have RV experience but with a travel trailer and that was a new one. Would an inspection be able to tell if that major maintenance was done? I am thinking good to move on.

While inspection can find a lot of things, it will not tell how well a rig has been maintained unless things have been totally ignored. There are hundreds of things that can be wrong with a 20-year-old RV, many of which can cost big bucks to fix.
Pre-2004 V10s have a nasty habit of spitting out spark plugs and many transmissions do not see 100,000 miles without rebuilding. This isn't a cheap hobby, mechanical repairs and service cost much more than cars and it's difficult to find mechanics willing to work on RVs.
The coach's various seals must have been regularly maintained or water can and will enter and rot the wood frame, it is a common theme among buyers of older rigs.

Be careful and have a reserve of several thousand dollars to cover the unforeseen issues that WILL come up.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Thank you very much. This is a big help.

Ann

Reply #6
Thank you. I did look at this sheet and I have seen several 2000-2002 listed mid to high 20000. There is one in Tucson right now with 150000 miles and is listed at $20000. I have not called on it as I had already excluded it because of the very high mileage. Everyone who has said a preowned one is hard to find was an understatement. Patience is a virtue!

Thanks
Ann

Reply #7
Ann, just a few comments on older, higher/high mileage vehicles:

I have a TK that is in, or at least, close to, that category; it will be 17 in November and has 118,000 miles. However, it is a "one owner", has never towed, and has been well-maintained and serviced regularly, with services and parts replacements and/or upgrades often well before the maintenance schedule indicates.

There is nothing necessarily inherently wrong with an LD, even an older, high mileage rig that has had two or three owners, but unless one is aware of its maintenance history, if it has towed a vehicle (particularly a heavy one), and what components and services will need to be done, replaced, repaired, etc., purchasing "a pig in a poke" can be a dicey, potentially very expensive and frustrating, venture.

A thorough independent inspection of the body, engine, systems, appliances, tires, everything in or on the rig is really only one way to have any idea if a motorhome is worth considering.  Even with a diligent inspection, "warts" can and probably will slip through. I would definitely not depend on a dealer (or even an owner) to "verify" that the rig is in good condition. This link details inspection points for a used (or new!) RV; it's required reading (IMO) for a prospective RV buyer.

RV Inspection Checklist

Making a good buying decision also requires one to consider the intended use of the rig: is it for fulltiming? Short trips? Longer trips? Weekends? How many people to accommodate? What kinds of travel and "stay" locations are planned? Towing? What is the buyer's skill set? IOW, how much of the required maintenance, upgrades, and repairs can be done by the owner or someone who is savvy and works cheap!?  ;)  Does the prospective owner have the financial wherewithal to support the expenses (inevitable and usually considerable) of the rig/lifestyle?

Candidly, if one is buying a rig for fulltiming or trips of long duration, I would suggest looking for a newer, lower mileage LD that has service records, and I would still expect to part with quite a few bucks for upgrades, repairs, and replacements.

Good luck in the search.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
It is not unusual for used vehicle dealers to discard any maintenance records for a vehicle they have for sale. That puts the ball squarely in the buyer's court, to inspect the vehicle and decide for him or herself its condition. And it reduces the risk to the seller inherent in any "misrepresentation" of the vehicle, making it instead a simple "what you see is what you get" proposition. These people are salesmen, pure and simple, and would rather rely on a positive emotional reaction to a vehicle by a buyer with the "get me's" than any sort of rational analysis.

If you're shopping for a used Lazy Daze it is going to be a long, difficult and potentially disappointing search. As motorhomes age and prices decline the risk of expensive repairs goes up. Having said that, though, there are good units to be had. We own a 2003 with 130,000 miles. If it was for sale I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Well equipped, stored indoors except when traveling, all required maintenance regularly performed, anything that broke repaired promptly and with complete records of all that. I think it could easily go another 130,000 miles with continued good care. My own sense of its value today: about $25,000. But there are no doubt costs ahead, some substantial.

The costs of repairs and deferred maintenance can add up quickly. Our transmission was rebuilt at 100,000 miles, $5000. We've had the roof and end caps resealed at Lazy Daze, several thousand dollars. Endless other possibilities, refrigerators, differentials, engine repairs, brakes, tires, etc. etc. If I was buying a $25,000 20 year old motorhome I'd want at least $10,000 in reserve to deal with any problems.

To me this all argues for some rules set in advance as to what you will consider and what you will simply pass by. I'd want a unit that was garaged or at least under cover, complete records showing prompt attention to maintenance and repair, a clear record of resealing the roof in a proper manner, no evidence of water damage to the coach's wood framework. And everything working properly or, if not, that accounted for in the price. But even with all that there would still be some substantial costs ahead.

Having said that, though, if I found a unit that met my criteria I wouldn't let a price a few thousand dollars "too high" put me off. Those few dollars will quickly fade as the overall cost of owning and operating a motorhome grows. I believe most people place too much emphasis on the initial price and too little on ongoing costs. It's worth a bit extra to get the right unit as a starting point.

Whether you've found the right unit I can't say, but I don't think you're going to get any help in deciding that from the dealer. Since the unit is in Southern California you might check with the Lazy Daze factory about whether (1) you could bring the unit to them to have the coach inspected, especially the integrity of the wood framework and the sealing and (2) whether they would be able to help you with any repairs required to the coach (not the chassis). There have been reports that they no longer work on coaches past a certain age.

Good luck.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #9
Thank you very much for all of the perspectives. This has helped quite a bit. I have been diligently reading all the info on the forum and that has also been very helpful in my search. I agree that is one is in good shape and has the maintenance records I will consider all of that in making a decision on whether or not to go forward. The dealership told me the maintenance would not be requested from a customer because that has the potential to violate privacy. I get that thinking but I also know a private seller has a different perspective and provides that detail. In selling my travel trailer I was willing to offer up the records (not much needed to be done in the time I owned it) because I knew it was important.

Reply #10
"The dealership told me the maintenance would not be requested from a customer because that has the potential to violate privacy."
----
If a dealer unloaded that line of self-serving BS on me, I would be out of there in a heartbeat, likely choking myself into breathlessness with laughter.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yes, if that’s what dealers do, think I would pass on buying from a dealer.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12

I agree with HiLola.  The price seems high without background info like maintenance records.   Our 2003 Mid Bath (purchased new) has 130,000 well maintained miles and I have all the service records.  It has never towed which can put a big strain on the tranny.  Think I'd pass on this one.  The seller "may" have gone through a dealer to insulate himself from the new purchaser.  LDs in good condition sell quickly in a one toe sale.
2003 MB