Skip to main content
Topic: Which spare & the electric step (Read 128 times) previous topic - next topic
Which spare & the electric step
We brought our new girl home, a beautiful 2003 MB 26.5, a couple weeks ago and she is immaculate! Here's our first grab bag of questions:

New tire install is on Saturday. All tires need replacing - they are in great shape but DOTs are all >5 years. I checked the spare and it is the original 2003. Which tire is the candidate for a spare, the newest of the ones in use or the ancient spare that looks to be in great shape? I think I know the answer, but just checking. And what to do with the rim on the spare?

Our girl has an electric entry step. Instructions advise against WD-40 or similar. What should I use - KwikLube @ $20 each or silicone that's already in my garage?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Ray & Kari
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Re: Which spare & the electric step
Reply #1
Buy a new spare.  If you aren't willing to drive on 5+ year old tires now, why would you want to after you have a flat?

Having a good spare lets you continue the trip and deal with the tires once you get home instead of limping around on a tire you don't trust.    

Yes, it will cost $200 or whatever, but that will seem like a bargain compared to trying to get a tire fixed when you would rather be somewhere else.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #2
"KwikLube @ $20 each or silicone that's already in my garage?"

Silicone is thinner and therefore has less viscosity, it would be my 2nd choice.

I have used KwikLube exclusively since my LD was new, 15 years ago. No issues to date!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
I'd buy a new spare.  3 years down the road when you need it, do you want it to be 8 years old 40 miles beyond Timbukthree?
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
We brought our new girl home, a beautiful 2003 MB 26.5, a couple weeks ago and she is immaculate! Here's our first grab bag of questions:

New tire install is on Saturday. All tires need replacing - they are in great shape but DOTs are all >5 years. I checked the spare and it is the original 2003. Which tire is the candidate for a spare, the newest of the ones in use or the ancient spare that looks to be in great shape? I think I know the answer, but just checking. And what to do with the rim on the spare?

Our girl has an electric entry step. Instructions advise against WD-40 or similar. What should I use - KwikLube @ $20 each or silicone that's already in my garage?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Ray & Kari
At one set of new tires, maybe when the LD was shortly past 10 yrs old, I asked the Discount Tire installer to check the spare for me. Their policy was not to "touch" any tire over 10 yrs old. I bought the cheapest correct size tire they had and replaced the original. Certainly cheaper than the Michelins I put on.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
New tire install is on Saturday.  Which tire is the candidate for a spare, the newest of the ones in use, or the ancient spare that looks to be in great shape? I think I know the answer, but just checking. And what to do with the rim on the spare?

Blowouts are a big threat, they can badly affect stability and do a lot of damage, as the tire disintegrates, BTDT.
I agree with Rick and suggest seven new tires. Add the spare to the front tire rotation. Many times, the rear tires will time out before they wear out and owners do not rotate the rear tires, especially if extended stems are used.
If that isn't in the budget, have the tire manager pick the best spare. Just be aware, your 5+-year-old spare will continue aging while it sits in the rear compartment.  A new replacement could be hundreds of miles away, when needed.

The inner, rear dual tire is exposed to the exhaust heat, being next to the exhaust pipe, the majority of rear tire blowouts reported here over the last two decades have been inner, passenger-side tire. Rotating the rear tires at least every 12,000 miles or less, to spread the heat damage over at least two tires, is good practice. The extended stems limit using the front tires in the rotation.
Heat shields on the exhaust pipe are not a bad idea.
Exhaust heat shields | Flickr

KwiLube is fine, I use either garage door or white lithium sprays, available at HD and other hardware stores. both are sticky grease and stays stuck to the bushings, the same as KwiLube.
Blaster 11 oz. High-Performance White Lithium Grease-16-LG - The Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-B-laster-Garage-Door-Lubricant-16-GDL/202532761

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Perfect! Thanks all, I know what to do now! I've got Blaster in the garage and I'll get the lowest priced comparable for the spare.
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #7
When I put new tires on my LD, I decided to go with Toyo tires as my RV mechanic and the shop manager at a local big rig maintenance company strongly recommended them.  Up to that point I had planned on installing Michelin tires.  When I pulled out the spare, it was original from the factory, looked brand new, and I really was second guessing my decision to replace it. The shop manager at Discount Tire really drove the decision home when he said that he has seen many "unused spare" RV tires blow up just due to age.  So, short story, I replaced all 7 tires.