Skip to main content
Topic: Shore Power replacing the 25' cord (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic
Shore Power replacing the 25' cord
The plug on my Shore power cord looks like it needs to be replaced. The molded plug is kinda bulging just a little. It is 27 years old. My questions is should I just buy a new shore power cord or replace the plug? How difficult to replace the cord. Or do I find a replacement for the plug. If the latter please let me know where to purchase the right size plug -so that it will fit into the holder. I am assuming replacing the line is probably a lot of fun. Any input would be much appreciated
1993 MB
2006 Honda CRV

Re: Shore Power replacing the 25' cord
Reply #1
My '08 unit has a cord with plugs on each end, so I am not familiar with the storage and plug size issue for you.  However, I have replaced a number of plugs for folks camped near me who had problems.  The plugs are readily accessible and easy to install.  I suggest that you take a few measurements, or perhaps lay the plug on a piece of paper and trace its shadow to get an accurate plug outline.  You can then take that to an RV parts place, a good hardware or electrical shop, and find what you need.

Buying a new cord - three conductor #10 cord, 25 feet long, is pretty expensive.  If you have the skills to replace the plug and can find what you need, that is the route I would recommend.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
The plug on my Shore power cord looks like it needs to be replaced. The molded plug is kinda bulging just a little. It is 27 years old. My questions is should I just buy a new shore power cord or replace the plug? How difficult to replace the cord. Or do I find a replacement for the plug. If the latter please let me know where to purchase the right size plug -so that it will fit into the holder. I am assuming replacing the line is probably a lot of fun. Any input would be much appreciated
I replaced the plug on my original factory supplied 25' cord. I don't remember where I got it, but here's one: Amazon.com: Camco Heavy Duty RV 30 AMP PowerGrip Male Replacement Plug-...

Chris
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Hi;  The plug on my twenty year old attached cord was worse for the wear. Poor connections to my outdoor extension cord had arced and weather had corroded the pins.   I replaced it with the exact plug that Chris just detailed. It was easy to do, and the plug handle makes it easier to unplug from campground hookups.  There is a plug with a larger handle, but it sticks out more. I considered that it might interfere with putting the plug back inside the storage door of the motorhome.  So the cord is about 2" shorter now, but much healthier.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
It makes a difference if you have a stand alone cord - where one end plugs into a receptacle on the outside of your LD (or just inside a small door) and that entire cord is stored in a bin.  Or you have a cord that connects at your power center and goes through the RV  floor/walls to coil up just before the wall of the RV, and is pulled out of that coiled up spot from a small opening (door) on the outside of your LD.

With your year LD I am guessing you have the second situation above.
In that case you don’t want to replace the entire cord (it should be securely attached inside the walls/floor and is too difficult to get to).

You could upgrade to the newer style (fully detachable cord) if you wanted to but this takes either know how and skills or hiring someone.

Replacement plugs are available many places.
Things to be aware of - will the plug fit back into the hole/tiny bin it currently goes into.
Do you want a newer style one with a handle in it (easier to unplug but bigger which affects if it fits into the same storage spot.

Know basic  electricity safety - you don’t want anything trying to pull electricity down that line as you test out your new plug - I turn off the main breaker in the RV as well as disconnect the battery(s) that are connected to the power center.  If you have an ems that protects the RV also but maybe at the expense of destroying the EMS (so turn off the breakers and disconnect batteries),

And be sure you are both correctly wiring up the plug AND making sure the prongs are secured well so they can not move/wobble and touch each other or a bit of bare wire.  Some of the cheaper plugs are not well made and don’t secure the plugs well.  Always have the shore power turned off when you plug into it, especially with a new plug - again so things don’t touch that shouldn’t.

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #5
I went through this about a year ago and everybody above is right. I got tired of having the cord tangled every time I pulled it out. So I found a very nice marine power inlet that fit over my metal wall access exactly and installed it, then bought new plugs for my cord and installed them. Let me tell you, it is way cheaper to replace the cord end unless you are like me and can't stand having the cord tangled every time I wanted to use it. Here's a couple pictures, not really that difficult just spendy.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #6
Ron B
JONS
Jane and Scott
Chris Horst
Kenneth Fears

thank you so much for your replies.

Much appreciated . My hope is I can get a plug that will fit back into the storage holder.
My family and I are enjoying our Lazy Daze so much. Our plans for  summer of 2020 have changed- however we have reservations for state parks through out Texas. be safe
1993 MB
2006 Honda CRV

Reply #7
Our current A-class motorhome has a cord permanently attached at one end and a hole through the storage bay floor, similar to the LD's mousehole. When the plug became worn I replaced it with this one from Progressive Industries. It does not have a handle.

Cons: A bit harder to pull out of power posts and extension cords than one with a handle
Pros: Easier to fit under power post covers and through the hole in the storage bay

I found the PI plug well-made and easy to install on the cord.

On our mid-bath, I did what "JonS" did and replaced the cord-and-mousehole with an outlet from Marinco, link here. The kit comes with everything needed to add the outlet and convert the existing attached power cord to a removable cord. (Well, almost everything, as I did make a cover plate on which to mount the outlet.)

There are also the SmartPlug products (link here). SmartPlug claims a better/safer design than the traditional type that Marinco sells. If you are thinking of doing more than just replacing the existing plug, you may want to give them a closer look.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #8
The mothership sent me to Amazon to buy a replacement from Marinco for my 2003 MB.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #9
"SmartPlug claims a better/safer design than the traditional type that Marinco sells."

Having installed one on my midbath, I can testify that that's true in multiple ways. The only drawback is that it's not a drop-in replacement for the Marinco power inlet, due to its slightly different shape. Well worth it, though, in my opinion. The SmartPlug system is much better engineered, and consequently safer.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
For a 27 year old LD, unless you are doing a total refurbishing, just changing the plug is the by far the most economical approach.
To change to a Marinco or SmartPlug detachable cord is a $200 in parts project, plus the cost of labor. The Camco replacement plug is $13 and 20 minutes to change.

If the cord is still in good shape, there is no real advantage to changing anything but the defective plug. I have owned both types and each has its advantages, none of which matter much. The older, hard-wired cord has fewer connections to fail.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
"unless you are doing a total refurbishing, just changing the plug is the by far the most economical approach."

Agreed.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"