Skip to main content
Topic: Securing a laundry rack in the shower tub (Read 306 times) previous topic - next topic
Securing a laundry rack in the shower tub
I would like to have my foldable laundry rack in my Lazy Daze. I think the best place to store it would be in the shower tub. My idea is, to attach something like a lug or a bracket (or whatever it might be the right term for it) for a velcro strip on the shower tub wall and then fix the rack with the velcro strip to the wall.

I just don't know what kind of lug or bracket to get and hope that someone here has an idea about it, or maybe even a completely different solution.

Attached pictures show the laundry rack and a sample bracket (which for me should not have a bolt) to tell you what my general idea is. I think best would be a solid plastic bracket that can be attached to the wall with double-sided tape.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Securing a laundry rack in the shower tub
Reply #1

Regular velcro does not have the strength to support heavy things attached to the shower wall. Some double-sided tapes are strong enough but are impossible to remove for cleaning without destroying the tape.

A better choice is 3M's Dual Lock tape, it's a bit expensive and worth every penny. It's Velcro's bigger, stronger brother.
Amazon.com: 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 250 Clear, 1 in x 6 Ft:...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
The velcro is not the problem here. The lightweight laundry rack will be folded and standing on the bottom of the shower tub; I only want it to be secured to the wall to prevent it from flying around while driving.

What I'm looking for is a "thing" that can be fixed to the wall and through which then a velcro tape can be fed - and just by starting this thread and thinking a little more about it I might have found a solution. What might work well would be a rather flat rectangular plastic tube (see picture). I will check later with the local Ace Hardware store what they have to offer. However, I'm also still open to other solutions.

Klaus

2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #3

"A better choice is 3M's Dual Lock tape, it's a bit expensive and worth every penny. It's Velro's bigger, stronger brother.
Amazon.com: 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 250 Clear, 1 in x 6 Ft:..."

We got a roll of this stuff, but have not tried it out.  Has anyone else used it?  Comments? 

Amazon.com: Washable Adhesive Tape,Traceless Reusable Clear Double Sided...

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  My Latest Crush

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #4
I would like to have my foldable laundry rack in my Lazy Daze. I think the best place to store it would be in the shower tub. My idea is, to attach something like a lug or a bracket (or whatever it might be the right term for it) for a velcro strip on the shower tub wall and then fix the rack with the velcro strip to the wall.

I just don't know what kind of lug or bracket to get and hope that someone here has an idea about it, or maybe even a completely different solution.

Attached pictures show the laundry rack and a sample bracket (which for me should not have a bolt) to tell you what my general idea is. I think best would be a solid plastic bracket that can be attached to the wall with double-sided tape.

Klaus

Why don't you simply lay it flat on the cabover bed or rear couch when you travel and store it in the shower when you stop. No muss, no fuss.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
"Why don't you simply lay it flat on the cabover bed or rear couch when you travel and store it in the shower when you stop."
----
An excellent application of the 'KISS principle!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
"Why don't you simply lay it flat on the cabover bed or rear couch when you travel and store it in the shower when you stop. No muss, no fuss."

Assuming your model has the cabover bed, not the entertainment center over the cab  If bed, as mentioned above, is there something up there that you could attach a bungee cord to and secure your ?lightweight rack for travel?

Thinking outside of the box here . . . if you have a mattress topper on your overcab bed, could you put the rack between it and the regulation mattress?

Since we don't use our shower for the intended purpose, there is a LOT of stuff in there, much of which would probably keep a lightweight rack in check during travel.

If you intend to use it inside, would one of the pull-out gizmos with several lines work for you?  Or is your intended venue outdoors?

I found this YouTube offering for a multiline, outdoor offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsgQALnwUk

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #7
Klaus, you might want to look at 3M’s  ‘Command’ line of hooks, fasteners, and all sorts of hangers and holders and whatnot. A variety of Command products is in almost every hardware store, but a search will bring up online vendors. I would think that somewhere in that huge product line, there would be a simple, inexpensive stick-on-the-shower-wall  ‘holder’ for the rack.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Why don't you simply lay it flat on the cabover bed or rear couch when you travel and store it in the shower when you stop. No muss, no fuss.

Chris
Actually, I travel with a foldable wooden laundry rack up all the time. It resides in the shower and holds wet items, usually towels. I placed old fashioned rubber chair protectors on the legs so it doesn't dance around too much. Works for me. 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Klaus, you might want to look at 3M’s  ‘Command’ line of hooks, fasteners, and all sorts of hangers and holders and whatnot.
Great tip, thanks. The "Broom Gripper" might be a possibility. I hope that Ace Hardware has them in stock so that I can look at it (I will bring the rack with me for that).

I travel with a foldable wooden laundry rack up all the time. It resides in the shower and holds wet items, usually towels. I placed old fashioned rubber chair protectors on the legs so it doesn't dance around too much. Works for me.
Also an interesting idea. However, I have already a couple of other things in the shower and would probably not have the space for an unfolded rack.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #10
... and since we're in the clothes hanging department: Is there an easy way (or once more a ready made product) to squeeze an extendable cloth rack safely between the (not parallel) walls of the shower cabin in my mid-bath?

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #11
I solved the rack question with a piece from a cable channel. That is what Ace Hardware suggested to me, and then I remembered that I had such a thing in my garage (even in the right color).

I secured the two pieces with some glue and then the whole apparatus with 3M tape to the shower cabin wall.

I like this solution so much that I will keep a foot or so of the cable channel in the rig - I may need something like it again.

Klaus
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #12
I solved the rack question with a piece from a cable channel. That is what Ace Hardware suggested to me, and then I remembered that I had such a thing in my garage (even in the right color).

Nice solution.
Is the cable channel a short piece of surface mount wiremold?  Or?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-Legrand-CordMate-II-5-ft-Channel-White-C50/202264865

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Is the cable channel a short piece of surface mount wiremold?

It's something that I bought 17 years ago and of which I needed only a short piece. It was stored since then in my garage. The top part snaps onto the bottom part. I glued the parts together so that the top part cannot slide off. It's about 1 inch wide.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #14
"It's something that I bought 17 years ago..."

Don't you just love American ingenuity?   :o   ;)   8) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
"... or German,..."

gewiß   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)