Skip to main content
Topic: CH751 Replacement Compartment Locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware (Read 597 times) previous topic - next topic
CH751 Replacement Compartment Locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware
Greetings,

I'm about to place an order from ILH for tubular cam replacement locks for my 2014 LD 27' midbath's storage compartments.

I removed and measured the existing locks - six total.  The two above-floor compartments in the rear, which have a thicker door, are lock size 1-1/2", cam length 1-1/2" with a 1/16" bend.  The other four are lock size 7/8", cam length 1-1/2" with 1/16" bend.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but please differ if you think otherwise.

I'm also ordering a backing plate for all six locks, and I'm thinking about getting the dust covers ("bling" to quote Larry Wade).  The total for everything is $152.88.

Yeah, well.  Now that I'm retired, it's somethin' to do.

Tim
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Re: CH751 Replacement Compartment Locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware
Reply #1
I'm about to place an order from ILH for tubular cam replacement locks for my 2014 LD 27' mid-bath's storage compartments.
I'm pretty sure this is correct, but please differ if you think otherwise.

The measuring sheet from ILH is your best guide, I doubt that many owners of a 2014 MBs have ordered a set and still have the measurements.
LD is known for changing things from year to year that are not always obvious, key sizes is a good possibility.
I found the measuring sheet easy to use, just overlay each key part, once disassembled, on the sheet to find the right part number.

I guess you didn't think you would have so much free time being retired.
I know a few others in the same situation, including my wife who has apparently involuntarily retired unless an effective vaccine magically appears soon.
We need to get together again someday and paddle....someday.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Tim, reviving this thread as I am considering upgrading the exterior storage bin locks on my MB. Did you make a purchase and are you happy with it?  This company is a little over an hour away so I just may make a trip down to see them.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Will do, Thanks, Steve!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Tim -- I replaced all of my locks a couple of years ago.  I also added thumb locks to each compartment door, so now the center (original) lock is keyed, and there is a thumb lock on either side. I explained my process and posted pix.  Here is the link.  Move to Reply #6 when you get there:

Replacing Exterior Compartment Locks/Adding Thumb Locks

I had great service from ILH.  All my locks are, of course, keyed alike.  I also ordered the backing plates and the spring-loaded dust caps.  The measuring sheet that ILH has on their site was the guide that I used.  This was a good improvement in my opinion.  It was easy to do, as well.  Ping me if you have any questions.
2017 RB

Reply #6
If changing the locks gives you peace of mind, go for it. I would say it's a false peace of mind since a pry bar can open the bins in a flash. They are not exactly sturdy.

It has probably happened, but I have never heard of theft from the bins.

What are you going to do about protecting the cab doors? They pop open easily.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
What are you going to do about protecting the cab doors? They pop open easily.

We use a wide nylon web tie-down strap with cam lock looped through both armrests. Our son showed us what some jerk did to their Explorer's passenger door lock to pop the door open. Also saw first hand how quickly a professional is able to unlock a vehicle door with the proper tools (and no damage).

Charles

Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #8
If changing the locks gives you peace of mind, go for it. I would say it's a false peace of mind since a pry bar can open the bins in a flash.

The reason why I changed to round locks was simple, almost every RV used the same key, a CH751.
My CH751 has been used to open hundreds of LD exterior compartments while working on the rigs.

At best, locks only keep honest people honest.
I fully realize that any of the locks can be popped with a screwdriver but if someone's looking to break into a row of RVs, why not do it the ones with CH751 locks? 
The round locks may deter a thief enough to go to the next rig which is yours, the one that still has CH751 locks.

Something to think about.

Larry

Larry

Reply #9
We use a wide nylon web tie-down strap with cam lock looped through both armrests. Our son showed us what some jerk did to their Explorer's passenger door lock to pop the door open. Also saw first hand how quickly a professional is able to unlock a vehicle door with the proper tools (and no damage).

Charles

That's the ticket, Charles
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #10
We use a wide nylon web tie-down strap with cam lock looped through both armrests. Our son showed us what some jerk did to their Explorer's passenger door lock to pop the door open.

Maybe something like this would be of help and might be easier, day to day.
Ford Van Lock Protection Plates

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Charles and Donna,  could you post some photos of your web tie down strap solution.  I was thinking about something similar because I had a passenger window popped on my LD while parked behind my building.  They didnt take anything, but did open the door .  I wanted to have something that would keep the doors from being opened, that way they have to crawl in over the broken window for access.  I understand that this may not keep a real criminal out, but anything to slow them down increases your security.

Reply #12
Rich, I can't today but should be able to tomorrow.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #13
Charles and Donna,  could you post some photos of your web tie down strap solution.

Ditto!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
A determined thief is likely to get in.  They are probably relatively rare and the best we can do is to make ones rig more difficult to enter than the vehicle next door.  Harbor Freight sells THIS LOCKPICK which will defeat most security devices short of Larry W's bicycle chain.
;)
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #15
On replacing compartment locks. 

It probably is a good idea to move away from the omnipresent CH751 key if that's what you have now.  When considering a replacement, another tumbler/key lock would be a bit more secure than moving to a tubular lock.  Tubular locks are crazy easy to get into using a tool sold on amazon and ebay. 

https://youtu.be/HSOQSnSUlp8?t=59

Most keyed locks are very pickable as well, but at least it takes some skill.  Pry bars require no skill, of course.

On securing the cab doors:

Truckers face this problem and I've seen 3 different ways to handle it.  First, take a regular ratchet strap and feed to through the door handles on each door.  Cinch in the middle.  Even if someone uses a slimjim or something to unlock the doors, they won't get them open without breaking a window and potentially attracting lots more attention.   

The downside to that is a strap running though your cab space.  This could be an issue if you want to get into the drivers seat and drive away from a problem.  An alternative is a strap that attaches to the top of the door frame and server the same purpose: Sleep Safe Strap - CGM SECURITY SOLUTIONS INC

Finally, you can sometimes fasten the seatbelt in a way that holds the doors shut.  I've not tried it on an e450, but the general idea is to feed the seatbelt through the door handle and then back across the seat to the latch.  Pull the belt out all the way until it starts to ratchet, and let it retract until tight.  The door can't be opened without unlatching the belt.   

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #16
Thanks for the tips.
Juanita's Thoughts
2005 30' TB