Skip to main content
Topic: Scan Gauge (Read 237 times) previous topic - next topic
Scan Gauge
I figured that Chris would notice the topic segue from from 'Downshifting on Downgrades' to Scan Gauge' and start a new thread, so I just saved him the trouble.  ;)

I think it's a good idea to contact Linear Logic/Scan Gauge if one has an older rig and an early version of the Scan Gauge II; the tech should be able to answer questions specific to each iteration of Scan Gauge. The Scan Gauge in my 2003 was installed in 2004 or 2005 (manual version 4.2), and it may be that newer/new Scan Gauge versions use all some different codes, and/or offer additional capabilities. For example, as far as I know, my old Scan Gauge can't be programmed for transmission temperature unless it's sent to the factory.  At the time I inquired, the charge to program the old gauge for transmission temperature was $25.00; I don't know what the cost is now, or even if it's possible to do this.

Also, a 2003 is classified as OBDI (one, not two); this information is on a sticker on the front edge of the 'frame' in front of the engine battery. I don't know in what model year the diagnostic system went to OBDII. The old ScanGauge II works for how I have it programmed, but a new version of the product may offer more owner-programmable options.

Just a FYI, and YMMV, as always.

» ScanGauge II
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Scan Gauge
Reply #1
I have a Scan gauge II in my 1997 rear bath...I was able to add transmission fluid temp readings..i just bought it last year and it is OBD II..the first year for OBD II was 1996
1997 Rear Bath

Reply #2
"I was able to add transmission fluid temp readings..i just bought it last year and it is OBD II..the first year for OBD II was 1996."
---
You have a recent model of a Scan Gauge, and if you programmed it to display transmission temperature, the 'programmable without having to send it to the manufacturer' feature is apparently included in newer Scan Gauges. The Scan Gauge in my rig is about 15 years old, and it needs to go home to be programmed for transmission temperatures.

As far as I know, cars and light trucks from 1996 on are OBD II compliant; the Ford E-450 V10  is not classified as a 'light truck' as its GVWR is over 14000 pounds. The sticker on the 'frame' section (just in front of the engine battery on my 2003) states that the vehicle is 'OBD I certified'.

If you have a 1997 Rear Bath, it's an early E-450, i.e., 26.5' long with a 460 engine and a 14050 lb. GVWR. (Just checking; sometimes model designations are misapplied, i.e., the baths in the shorter coaches labeled 'Front Dinette' or 'Front Lounge' are also in the rear of the rig.)  Does the engine sticker in your 1997 Rear Bath state that it is OBD II certified?

OBDII - On-Board Diagnostic's System - Does My Car Have OBD-II? The Connector...
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Have the triton v 10..says so right on the side of the fender..and it is OBD II just got it smogged..it passed with flying colors...
1997 Rear Bath

Reply #4
Correction...you are right...thanks for setting me straight...
1997 Rear Bath

Reply #5
"..thanks for setting me straight..."
----
Uh, which part of my post 'set you straight'?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Hi all,
Just to let you know that an UltraGuage MX V1.4, is available for about $90. Amazon offers the em, but that doesn’t have the trans temp feature. The gauge works on my 2005 obd1 plug.  The parameters to program the UltraGuage are listed on a forum site. You can order the gauge off the manufacturer’s web site.

Macmarty
2005 6.5 MB
2005 MB

Reply #7
The 1997 model was the first with the V-10 engine.  1997, 1998 and 1999 were the only three years of the first iteration. 2000 and after, while still V-10's were a lot different with few interchangeable parts.  The E350 chassis, as Joan said, under 14,000 pounds were OBDII compliant. OBDI on the E450 is similar, but not as complete as the second version.  On Board Diagnostics at first was harder to do, the engine computer had enough to do just running the engine. With improvements to the hardware, it was easier to add the diagnostics, and observe and store running conditions.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
I have a Scan gauge II in my 1997 rear bath...I was able to add transmission fluid temp readings..i just bought it last year and it is OBD II..the first year for OBD II was 1996

Your 1997 LD is OBDI, not OBDII. Check the Federal emissions specification sticker under the hood.
OBDII wasn't installed in the E450 until after the mid-2000s.
Our 2003 E450 LD is OBDI, it uses the same underdash plug as a OBDII vehicle and OBDII scanners will work fine on the limited ammount of information available, much less than what a OBDII system provides.

LDs built on th E350 chassis will be OBDII, if built in 1996 or later.

From the Caifornia Bureau of Automotive Repair website.
"Most 1996 and newer model year gasoline and alternative fueled vehicles under 14,001 pounds GVWR require an OBD test during a Smog Check inspection.

Vehicles with GVWs over 14,000-lbs have different, less stringent emission regualtions.
You can verify the OBDI specification from the emission's stciker and by looking to see if the catalytic converter is lacking a threaded hole (bung) for a O2 sensor.
OBDII vehicles monitor the catalytic converter's output with an O2 sensor, OBDI does not.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze