Skip to main content
Topic: A better stovetop toaster? (Read 1755 times) previous topic - next topic
A better stovetop toaster?
I'm looking for a better stovetop toaster than the Coghlan toaster we have used for decades.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/TOASTER/3472307.uts?productVariantId=1624321&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50108009&rid=20&ds_rl=1246525&ds_rl=1246528&ds_rl=1247879&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Zydnazm6AIVxBx9Ch0dew3EEAQYBSABEgKZDvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Coghlan toasts one side at a time and tends to warp the bread, burning the bottom before the top is toasted.
It requires constant attention to get a usable piece of toast or a bagel. If lucky, it doesn't fold up in the middle of toasting.
So, what works for you?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: A better stovetop toaster?
Reply #1
Larry,

I’ve had good results using a skillet. Low heat and a turn or two works for me. I occasionally will add butter to one side of the toast or English muffin.

One less thing to store in an already crowded  cabinet. Although I did see this one that may hold some promise. https://youtu.be/i7jEu6_Ustc

Cheers for toast.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Larry, you have conceived, designed, engineered, and built hundreds of complex, creative, and functional projects;  I *know* you can come up with a stovetop toaster that doesn’t collapse and/or burn the bread!  ;)

How about a 6"- 8” square of 1/8” sheet iron (round off the corners) with a simple short handle welded on at a comfortable angle?
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
FOR MAKING TOAST ON THE STOVE TOP IN A LAZY DAZE . . .

What about this guy held directly over the flame(s) on the stove top?

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #5

I ditched the Coghlan and bought one of these at Gamblers in Quartzsite and really liked it.
Amazon.com: Camp-A-Toaster CT1: Automotive

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #6
I second the frying pan.  I also use a spot of butter, sometimes at home I use the same method because it tastes so much better. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Options for reheating - and toasting - without a microwave or a toaster . . .

Who Needs a Microwave? | Adventures of Dorrie Anne

Leftover Pizza for Lunch | Adventures of Dorrie Anne

I have several heat diffuser or trivet-type gizmos - some are double sided with an air space between them, and a nice handle; another is a solid, heavy plate, and some are more like racks.

A closely-watched, heavy pan really does do a bang-up job in toasting just about anything, particularly if you grease 'er up with something between the vulnerable surface and the hot pan.

If you crave pizza, but don't want to bother with the mess a regulation pizza makes, you can spread whatever floats yer boat onto a sturdy tortilla, plop another one on top, and let it get hot and crispy on side one, and then carefully flip over to crisp up the other side.  If you have been generous with the cheese, the two halves should stick together pretty well, but a large spatula (or even a big piece of [clean] cardboard) can help to keep this from being a disaster.

If you don't want to try to flip two regulation-sized tortillas, then you can make them more like calzones*, i.e. folded over.  Start the first one, and (assuming at least two are needed) when you fold it over, lay half of the next tortilla in the abandoned half of the frying pan, letting the other half droop over the edge while you put on the toppings, and then fold the top part over.  Voilá - you have both calzone-shaped pizzas heating at once.

By the time the second side of the first pizza (or whatever sandwich filling you have used) is ready, the second one should be ready to flip.  This procedure gets both done within a reasonable time of one another, so the first one doesn't cool off.

Alternatively, you can split the first one while the second one finishes up.

If you are careful, have a heavy pan with a good cover, and a bit of patience, you really can work miracles in a tiny Lazy Daze kitchen!

*Calzone (from Wikipedia)

"A calzone is an Italian oven-baked folded pizza that originated in Naples in the 18th century. A typical calzone is made from salted bread dough, baked in an oven and is stuffed with salami, ham or vegetables, mozzarella, ricotta and Parmesan or pecorino cheese, as well as an egg."

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #8
"I ditched the Coghlan and bought one of these at Gamblers in Quartzsite and really liked it.
Amazon.com: Camp-A-Toaster CT1: Automotive"

We had one of these back in 1991 in our TK, but it rusted almost immediately.  It actually DID do a great job, and we replaced it a couple of times to avoid the rust in our diet.  Maybe they are better now in that department.  If so, would HIGHLY recommend it.

It isn't wide enough for a whole tortilla, but I would toast up tostada shells on it.  Had to watch it like a hawk, though, because the inherent grease in tostada shells drip out pretty quickly.  To help with this problem, I took a piece of heavy duty foil, folded it over a couple times and then poked a bunch of holes in it.  Had to keep moving the tostada around on the top, though, to keep it heating evenly, and not burn or drip grease.

NOLA Boy loves tostadas, but for myself, I would just use tortilla chips and not bother with heating it at all!

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #9

Here's what I use for Tostada bowls. Bought two and when I learned how well they worked, went back and bought two more.  ;)

Amazon.com | HIC Harold Import 43741 Tortilla Bowl Maker, Set of 2, Non-Stick...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
For me, life is too short to not have an electric toaster oven.
I lived on a motorcycle for many years and when I got my LD.
I decided to live it up. My old Black and Decker toaster oven makes great toast, bagels and English muffins.
I also use it to reheat leftovers, like pizza, make toasted cheese sandwiches etc.
The glass door lets me see in so I can visually check when my toast is done.
I'm happy to run the generator when I want to use it.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #11
I'm looking for a better stovetop toaster than the Coghlan toaster we have used for decades.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/TOASTER/3472307.uts?productVariantId=1624321&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50108009&rid=20&ds_rl=1246525&ds_rl=1246528&ds_rl=1247879&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Zydnazm6AIVxBx9Ch0dew3EEAQYBSABEgKZDvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Coghlan toasts one side at a time and tends to warp the bread, burning the bottom before the top is toasted.
It requires constant attention to get a usable piece of toast or a bagel. If lucky, it doesn't fold up in the middle of toasting.
So, what works for you?

Larry
Firing up the generator and plugging in the 2 slice toaster. In 2002 I paid $72,000 not to make like I was camping with the Boy Scouts anymore.  ;)

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #12
A wide range of possibilities.
In the morning, I'm lazy and slow to wake up. The thought of having to wash a frying pan isn't appealing, I just want to quickly toast a bagel, slather peanut butter and jelly on it and have it with coffee. I would prefer to remain with a radiant heat toaster, it's clean producing only a few crumbs, easy to clean up.
I dislike hearing generators, so an electric toaster is out.
Our 23.5' FL doesn't have a lot of unused storage and the folding GSI Glacier stainless steel toaster is appealing but it's small, only able to toast one side of one piece of bread at a time. If it came in a larger size, it would be the one.
The Camp-A-Toaster's grill is large enough but it doesn't look that well built. Then again, it's only a toaster.
There's plenty of time to think, it looks like we will be under house arrest for a lot longer.

Larry

Larry

Reply #14
Being that we are full time workers, not in the LD months a year, the desire for toast hasn't come up yet. It is nice to see all the possibilities though.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #15
“I dislike hearing generators, so an electric toaster is out. “

Gee, I would have thought with all that solar generated power + inverter you could easily find room in your AC budget for an electric toaster  ;)
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #16

Gee, I would have thought with all that solar generated power + inverter you could easily find room in your AC budget for an electric toaster  ;)
Problem is heating elements take an enormous amount of electricity that is more than any small battery system can handle with their associated inverter size. Living off grid and loving toast this is an ongoing issue in our house. Much of the year we toast right on the top of our wood stove which is not an option in an RV and neither is it an option for us in summer so we generally use the iron skillet method then which works fine but uses a lot of propane.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #17
generally use the iron skillet method then which works fine but uses a lot of propane.
I think the Dixon Toaster mentioned would probably be efficient.

Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #18

I made the decision a long time ago to eliminate as many 120-volt devices as possible and use either 12-volts or propane to power the rig when camping. With the exception of our toothbrushes and bike battery chargers, everything runs on 12-volts, produced by the panels. An inexpensive, hard-wired 400-watt inverter takes care of any 120-volt needs. For anything larger, the generator can be used, we don't carry anything needing that much power.

A toaster is a huge consumer of electric power and would require spending around three thousand dollars to build a proper 2000-watt inverter system, plus we don't have the room for an electric toaster or an empty exterior compartment for the inverter.
It also eliminates another complex system to keep operational.

Below is a link to a 2000-watt inverter/charger, installed in a mid-bath.
Let's say it was a very involved project, I'm happy not having to maintain it or build another one.
Prosine 2.0 Inverter | Flickr

The beauty of a LD is its simplicity, less to go wrong, I like keeping it that way.
Larry

Larry

Reply #19
Toasters are typically about 800 watts, so a low-cost 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter is all that is needed. Toasters are just resistors, so there is no advantage to using a sine wave inverter. They use a lot of power, but don't run for very long, so the toasting a couple slices uses less than 10 AH.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #20
I think the Dixon Toaster mentioned would probably be efficient.

For an RV I think you are right due to the weight of a heavy iron skillet.
Discuss anything with anyone and disagree agreeably. Always be polite and respectful.

Reply #21
We had one of these back in 1991 in our TK, but it rusted almost immediately.  It actually DID do a great job, and we replaced it a couple of times to avoid the rust in our diet.  Maybe they are better now in that department.  If so, would HIGHLY recommend it.

A medical aside if I may ......  your red blood cells are iron oxide aka rust.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #22
Yum!

Reply #23
Sawyer, that's the way we do it. Smear a little butter on and let her rip. We don't have the cast iron though.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #24
Toasters are typically about 800 watts, so a low-cost 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter is all that is needed. Toasters are just resistors, so there is no advantage to using a sine wave inverter. They use a lot of power, but don't run for very long, so the toasting a couple slices uses less than 10 AH.
That's a very low end estimate and I'm no electricity expert but I think it's the huge immediate draw of power from the heating elements that's the issue with inverters. A toaster trips my 2000 watt inverter every time not to mention what it does to draw down your batteries.

Toaster wattage usage

Image: towsure.com
Electricity usage of a Toaster. A toaster is found in most kitchens and is a popular home appliance for toasting bread or heating up certain pre-baked toaster pastries. The bread toaster uses from 800 to 1500 watts of energy when in use, an average toaster will use around 1200 watts.
Electricity usage of a Toaster - Energy Use Calculator