Skip to main content
Topic: Who has the oldest LD? (Read 1673 times) previous topic - next topic
Who has the oldest LD?
I wonder if there is function to list members by the year of there LD?  Curious who has and still use an older one. I know there are some on here with models older than my 1999, I have seen 1992 listed in some sigs.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Who has the oldest LD?
Reply #1
I wonder if there is function to list members by the year of there LD?  Curious who has and still use an older one. I know there are some on here with models older than my 1999, I have seen 1992 listed in some sigs.
I don't think there is. Perhaps members with "oldies" will post if they see your interest. I have seen a few members with 70s LDs join.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
While not members of the LDOF, the LD Caravan Club has a couple of members with early 1980s rigs.
Most rigs in this age range, and older, have gone to the campground in the sky or a wrecking yard.
It's too much work and/or money for most to maintain very old rigs unless they have been garaged, the roof and window seals fail and the framing rots. Many older rigs front noses and overheads have rotted away.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
  Our Daisy, is quite the antique but it serves us well for our short weekend trips. We spent $15k but the way I see it, it is still far cheaper than most mediocre cars with so much more to offer.
jon🦈
1990 MB

Reply #5
  Our Daisy, is quite the antique but it serves us well for our short weekend trips. We spent $15k but the way I see it, it is still far cheaper than most mediocre cars with so much more to offer.
Daisy is a beautiful LD, Jon, and it was nice seeing your rig at Morro Bay last March (2019) 
Hope you guys can join us again next year!
Daryl
Daryl 
2007  26.5’ mid-bath, “Blu Tent“
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
  (previously 2006 23.5’ front lounge)
SKP #145689

Reply #6
Jon is a very handy guy with the skills to repair/replace parts and systems, and maintain an older rig. (Ramon, who just donated his 1985 and posted his experience under the topic: '1982- Issues to Look For' in LD General discussions, also did much of his own repair and maintenance work.) There are other owners of 'vintage' LDs who have the mechanical, construction, electrical, plumbing, and plenty of other types of skills, knowledge, and tools to repair and replace parts and systems and keep an old rig going.

(IMO) However, for every 'old rig' buyer with the savvy to understand from the get-go what one is taking on and the skills, time, and cash to do a lot of the inevitable rehab him/herself, there seem to be many more who have no clue; based on observations and tales of woe posted on this board over several years, what many novices see is an initial price they can afford, and are either unaware of - or dismissive of - the reality that the purchase price is just the first outlay in a long list of future expenditures. They may be so eager to participate in the 'lifestyle' that they take little or no time on the (extensive) research/learning curve of how to assess the quality, condition, and 'warts' of all the mechanical parts, chassis, systems, appliances, and everything else of a complex machine. And, they may ignore or minimize the advice and suggestions of experienced owners, thinking that, somehow, their experience will be different.

This board has a large number of experienced, knowledgeable, and incredibly skilled RVers whose intent is to educate by sharing what they've learned, often through hard and/or expensive lessons, over years of RV and LD ownership and participation in the lifestyle. Their suggestions, guidance, and advice are well worth strong consideration.

As ever, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
There are many obsolete parts with older rigs so you have to learn to adapt. As Vince at the factory once told me, “ Are you handy?? Because if your not, you better get handy”🤗
jon🦈
1990 MB

Reply #8
To follow up on Larry, I know a guy in the Caravan club who might win for oldest. At last count I think he has eight Lazy Dazes, many older. The only class 'A' that LD built included. The 'A' was, and still may, be a 'basket' case. I believe he has a large barn to keep the weather off of some of them. Hopefully without rats and mice.  I'm looking forward to when we can get together again, seeing the 'A' at a club meeting.   He also has Miss Daisy, a trailer built by LD.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #9
To follow up on Larry, I know a guy in the Caravan club who might win for the oldest. At last count I think he has eight Lazy Dazes, many older. The only class 'A' that LD built included. The 'A' was, and still may be a 'basket' case. I believe he has a large barn to keep the weather off of some of them. Hopefully without rats and mice.  I'm looking forward to when we can get together again, seeing the 'A' at a club meeting.  He also has Miss Daisy, a trailer built by LD.    RonB

Ron

I wouldn't expect to see the Class A LD at a Caravan anytime soon, Dave his having a hard time finding someone capable of restoring it. LD's Steve said no way would they get involved, even deciding them that the Mothership will not work on rigs older than 1995. It's going to be an expensive restoration, if it happens.
On the other hand, Dave has his fleet of various LD floorplans, including one or more 80's rig. With the exception of the Class A, all his LDs run and are used at Caravans.

Here's one for an example. Not sure what year or even what model this is. It isn't a Front Lounge or a Multi-plan. It has a lot of windows and a possibly bunk beds. It appears to have been repainted.

[/url]

Class A

Maybe there will be a Caravan sometime in the future, assuming there is a Club left after the pandemic.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
How many of the class A were made.
                   Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #12
Hi Larry,  I was hoping that Dave was doing his own rennovation work.  I can see why Lazy Daze put a limit on how old of a model they would work on. Especially after some recent accident repairs to other coachs I'm aware of.  I think that is a rolling age limit that might catch up to my coach soon. Hoping for no 'other' driver errors, or any of my own either that might require repairs. I'm at the point where even minor damage would 'total' the coach.       RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #13
Here is an oldie for sale on the forum:

Must sell
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Here is an oldie for sale on the forum:

Must sell
Sweet, I hope they sell it.  As much as older ones can be more work, it is very possible to keep them going for ever just like cars. In most cases it will cost less than new, and soon the new ones also need work.  Also, vehicles, especially new ones go down in value, however, there is a point where they go up again. My 66 beetle would sell for more than it did new, and more than I paid for it 17 years ago and I paid more for it then than it sold for new.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #15
I have a 1991 LD, 23.5', kitchen up front, bed and bath in the back. On a Chevy C-30 chassis with a 454 V-8... throttle-body injection, and a sweet 4-speed automatic transmission. Mechanically, it is very simple... a truck with a box on it. A very well-made box. 30 years old now, no rattles or squeaks. Lazy Daze quality is excellent. Extensive wood and wood veneers still look new. Water, a/c, stove, bathroom all work perfectly. Exterior paint, off-white and sky blue, is still in great shape with an occasional waxing. I love the power -- it goes right up to 9000' in nearby Chiracahua National Park without hesitation. And fits easily into the older 25'-limit campsites, like at beautiful Cave Creek Canyon near Portal, AZ.
Can't complain. An earlier post noted that the price paid for an older Lazy Daze was far less than that of a new car -- for an LD with far, far better quality and design. So true. And no troublesome slideouts!

Reply #17
I have a 1982 Rear Lounge M-20, use it couple times a month and love it.  51k miles and full interior remodel.
1982 M20 Lazy Daze Chevy G30 Van in San Diego

Reply #18
I have a 1991 LD, 23.5', kitchen up front, bed and bath in the back. On a Chevy C-30 chassis with a 454 V-8... throttle-body injection, and a sweet 4-speed automatic transmission.
This sounds like a MultiPlan, and on the Chevy chassis, 22'. The MP with the bed option has the kitchen next to the coach door on the streetside, and usually a dinette opposite. The bath sink is outside the WC.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #19
My 1991 LD, Daizy, just passed inspection again with nothing other than the oil change, lube, etc., that I always ask for. My trusted mechanic said to bring it out there before a trip and they have a special setup to check all the tire pressures.  When I picked it up he told me 4 people saw it sitting outside the shop and asked him if it was for sale! I’ve taken out the valences and most of the curtains, things that I feel hold old odors.  I love that it looks so much more open. My back lounge area has a sofa and two chairs, one of which I removed to make room for a dog bed.  I’ve saved everything in case someone or a possible next owner would want it original.  ❤️
Not all who wander are lost...

1991 22' RL

Reply #20
My 1991 LD, Daizy, just passed inspection again with nothing other than the oil change, lube, etc., that I always ask for. My trusted mechanic said to bring it out there before a trip and they have a special setup to check all the tire pressures.  When I picked it up he told me 4 people saw it sitting outside the shop and asked him if it was for sale! I’ve taken out the valences and most of the curtains, things that I feel hold old odors.  I love that it looks so much more open. My back lounge area has a sofa and two chairs, one of which I removed to make room for a dog bed.  I’ve saved everything in case someone or a possible next owner would want it original.  ❤️
Nice, thanks for sharing.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #21
"...they have a special setup to check all the tire pressures."
---
I'm really curious as to the "special setup to check all the tire pressures" might be?  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
We just bought our 1988: "The Cubhouse" and yes, we're having to get handy FAST! But we also found that in a pandemic, with 2 kids and a 1 bathroom, 1000 sq ft house, our $5k purchase was much cheaper than a home addition and adding a bathroom! The kids LOVE to go hang out in the Cubhouse, and when it got super smokey last week, we packed up and headed to cleaner air. She's old, she's a little funky, but she is definitely a welcome new family member!
1988 ?

Reply #23
We just bought our 1988: "The Cubhouse" and yes, we're having to get handy FAST! But we also found that in a pandemic, with 2 kids and a 1 bathroom, 1000 sq ft house, our $5k purchase was much cheaper than a home addition and adding a bathroom! The kids LOVE to go hang out in the Cubhouse, and when it got super smokey last week, we packed up and headed to cleaner air. She's old, she's a little funky, but she is definitely a welcome new family member!
What model/floor plan do you have? Welcome to LDOG!

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #24
Similarly, I was curious as to whether there is a numbering system that tells which, in chronological order, a coach was built. Class A Newell’s have that information listed on their coaches. They make in the neighborhood of 30 or so coaches a year, somewhat similar to LazyDaze. I thought it would be interesting to know that information about my coach.
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.