Skip to main content
Topic: 1982, issues to look for (Read 669 times) previous topic - next topic
1982, issues to look for
Hello folks, I started looking for a Lazy Daze  a few years ago, but stopped because I didn't see any models which had front windows in the over cab area.  So I began to look at Toyotas (in a weak moment), I just happened on an ad for a 1982, chevy powered with front windows, if still available I'd like to know what to look out for, body and drivetrain are a prority, how can I spot leaks or structural issues?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Is a 1982 with about 70,000 miles a lot to take on?  Thanks!

Re: 1982, issues to look for
Reply #1
Hello folks, I started looking for a Lazy Daze  a few years ago, but stopped because I didn't see any models which had front windows in the over cab area.  So I began to look at Toyotas (in a weak moment), I just happened on an ad for a 1982, chevy powered with front windows, if still available I'd like to know what to look out for, body and drivetrain are a prority, how can I spot leaks or structural issues?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Is a 1982 with about 70,000 miles a lot to take on? 

It's 38 years old, anything could be wrong with it.
Professional inspection by both an experienced RV tech and an old mechanic is the best recommendation I can give.
Do it, your pocketbook will thank you someday.

While simple mechanically, finding parts is going to be interesting and it has a carburetor, a device very few mechanics today have any experience with.
This is an antique and should only be bought by someone with excellent mechanical and craft skills and a lot of time and cash.
I have looked at hundreds of LDs and rarely see an early 80's LD in good condition, there are so many things that should have been maintained over the last 38 years, few have had all the needed attention.
Hope this one is one of the rare few.

Enough of the warnings, welcome to the site and happy hunting .
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
What he said.   I suggest you don't go under $30,000 for a smallish motorhome of whatever brand.   That will get you something fairly new.  With an inspection you should be able to avoid a money pit.   Carburetors are from another era and a deal breaker unless you know how to rebuild them and can get the kit.  Yes,  your 1982 is a lot to take on.      Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #3
"stopped because I didn't see any models which had front windows in the over cab area."

Front overcab windows are a notorious source of leaks, and the overcab is a nightmare to repair once it's water-damaged. Lazy Daze eliminated these windows in the middle of the 1990 model year, and it's a good idea to avoid any rig built before then.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
"stopped because I didn't see any models which had front windows in the over cab area."

Front overcab windows are a notorious source of leaks, and the overcab is a nightmare to repair once it's water-damaged. Lazy Daze eliminated these windows in the middle of the 1990 model year, and it's a good idea to avoid any rig built before then.
Mine has those windows. So far so good. I will say though the curtains have remained closed in the short time we have owned it, so maybe not much use.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Mine has those windows. So far so good. I will say though the curtains have remained closed in the short time we have owned it, so maybe not much use.

As Andy said, the front windows and front cap are a very common points of leakage in pre-1990 LDs.
One of the first things I did after buying our used 1983 LD was to disassemble and reseal the front window and multi-piece front cap.
I can't tell you how many of these older rigs I have inspected and found signs of leakage in the front window and cap.
Having rebuilt three rotted front caps, they were the worse possible jobs, working with moldy wood in a confined area, trying to reconstruct the missing structural framing. Nasty stuff. Try to avoid it.

Leakage was such a common problem that the Mothership redesigned the front, creating the one-piece plastic cap without the window. Rot, seen or hidden is extremely likely in pre-1990 LDs. 
Buying a post-1990 is good advice, why buy a rig with a design flaw when a slightly newer model has the improved front end cap?

Chevy-based LDs had a significant engine upgrade in 1991, along with replacing the 3-speed Turbo 400 transmission with the superior 4-speed overdrive 4L80E. The two upgrades will allow the drivetrain to live longer, cruise at a higher speed while getting better mileage, what's not to like?
I would not consider buying a LD any older than a 1991.

Larry

Larry

Reply #6
A friend and his wife with a 1994 Itasca were on the way out of Yosemite when a small rockfall put a rock in the front cabover window at about 50mph.  They were lucky to have the upper bed made out, not folded up. There were pieces of glass throughout the insides, including the back wall of the 27' motorhome. Good thing there weren't any people or pets riding in any but the cab seats!
   After an 18 degree night in Bryce with just 1/8" inch of glass in my Lindy,  I put an insulating panel of insulation against the window. Painted the foil to look like drapes. Never missed the view.  Did the same for my friends Itasca after the insurance company repaired it. They got most of the glass pieces out.  The insurance replaced the sleeping bag and some curtains.   They never missed the view. My friend said he had always worried about rolling up against the window during the night. He had put in a metal strap in the middle. The front window doesn't open anyway.   Too hot, or too cold, condensation can form a wet puddle. Dangerous to bump. I'll take the LD approach anytime. Wish they hadn't put in a fake curtain inside though. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
Wish they hadn't put in a fake curtain inside though.

The curtain can be removed, the screw holes patched and painted, no one would suspect it was originally there.
In our 2003 LD, I added insulation on the backside of the curtain to provide more insulation against cold coming through the wall. Newer LDs do not have the fake curtains.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Ah, yes, the curtain over the non-existent overcab front window. This "Huh?" 'feature' was one of the first things I noticed when I went to the factory to check out Lazy Dazes!  ::)

I asked Ed why there was a curtain over a blank wall; his answer was that earlier models had had a front cabover window. (Beginning of the infinity loop of illogic....)

But, Ed, there's no window there now; there's a curtain over a blank wall!

We've always put a curtain there.

There's no reason for a curtain; there's no window. There is no need for a curtain over a solid, blank wall. Would you please leave the curtain out?

We've always put a curtain there.

After a considerable expenditure of time, effort, and patience, Ed agreed to leave the curtain off the cabover front wall of my TK. I have no idea whether he finally realized that putting a curtain over a windowless, blank wall really was irrational, or whether he just got tired of back and forth head-knocking!  ;)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Here's what I did with Gertie, my 1985 twin/king. I couldn't get rid of the front window, but I removed the curtains and then insulated the overcab area with rigid foam and quilted fabric.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Joan,
I'm with Ed.  I wouldn't want to engage in any "head-knocking" with you.  I'd lose.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #11
"I wouldn't want to engage in any "head-knocking" with you."
----
 :D
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Joan,
I'm with Ed.  I wouldn't want to engage in any "head-knocking" with you.  I'd lose.Harold

Smart man. You must have meet Joan before, she can be very persuasive and insistent.
I pity the poor mechanics that work on her rig, especially when she tells them the proper way to do something...and she is right.

Larry

Larry

Reply #13
Well it was more work to remove the curtain. I don't sleep up there and the three cats don't mind. I consider the non sunlight exposed curtain material as spare material for other windows, should they need replacing.  The angled nose cone means the insulation is about 8" thick in the center of the flat (inside) front sleeping compartment. Maybe 2" thick at the ends. Way better than a window. Side head and foot windows can provide air and noises through the escape hatch. Good noises include wind in the trees, and birds. Not doors slamming, generators at 5 minutes before 7 in Yosemite Valley, etc.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #14
Thanks everybody, I'm disappointed that the front window design is such a leaky mess, the LD I was thinking of looking at is in southern Nevada, dry (except for the "monsoon season").  I would really like to find one with a chevy powertrain, can anyone tell me how to research the smaller models (22 ft. or so)?  This is our first RV since our honeymoon in 1985 in our dodge travco van (very small).  Take care and stay safe-  Nick.

Reply #15
Thanks everybody, I'm disappointed that the front window design is such a leaky mess, the LD I was thinking of looking at is in southern Nevada, dry (except for the "monsoon season").  I would really like to find one with a chevy powertrain, can anyone tell me how to research the smaller models (22 ft. or so)? 

Avoiding pre-1990 LDs is advice I would give anyone but the most dedicated craftsperson/hobbyist.

Why is a Chevy based RV attractive?
The little 350 V8s are strained pulling so much weight and usually suffer early deaths. If you insist on a V8, get a 1991 or later for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier posting
A few Chevy models were equipped with 456 V8 big blocks but are not powerful or as dependable as the later V10s.
We owned a 1983 Chevy-base 22' Front Lounge for eight years, it was underpowered and struggled on any upgrade and was unable to pull a toad or trailer.
The engine, while properly maintained, was badly worn at 85,000 miles, needing new bearings and timing gears. The pre-1991 22' LDs had three-speed transmissions, missing the overdrive later models have. Overdrive allows the engine to run a lower engine RPM, when cruising at freeway speeds, prolonging engine life, decreasing noise and increasing mileage.
BTW, our 2003 E450 23.5' Front Lounge, with the V10, can carry much more cargo than the Chevy, has twice the power and still gets better mileage...win, win, win!

If saving money is the object, be aware that most older rigs will have dozens of things wrong with them and many of the faults are not obvious to cursory inspection. We have had many on the forum who have fallen in love with highly flawed old beasts with so many problems that the new owners dumped them, many times after spending thousands on repairs.

A common ailment is having "stars in your eyes" after seeing what appears to a beautiful rig and rushing into a purchase without doing a thorough inspection. All it takes is replacing worn engine or transmission to blow the budget, not to mention the hidden rot that so many old rigs hide.

A list of the bigger changes and improvements through the years can be found in the  "Lazy Daze Pocket guide" link. It will show what models were available with the Chevy chassis.
Changes by year

Larry

Larry

Reply #16

StevenJill, the cabover windows discussed here are the front one - few issues with the bunk side windows, which current models retain. Your cabover front is windowless - you can remove the decorative curtain if it seems intrusive.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #17
Thanks again for all the info., there is the usual learning curve, so I'll be asking a lot of questions, but please feel free to refer me to previous posts or other areas of the site.  Larry, thanks for the information on the chevy engine, I had heard about the problems with the early ford V10 popping spark plugs out, and my nephew did not like this motor in his truck, but if the old chevy motor just can't handle the weight-and I know what you mean about falling in love with a tired old machine, it takes constant  reminding to keep from doing that, but with enough information maybe I won't make that mistake, again.  Take care, Nick. 

Reply #18
StevenJill, the cabover windows discussed here are the front one - few issues with the bunk side windows, which current models retain. Your cabover front is windowless - you can remove the decorative curtain if it seems intrusive.

Steve

You sure? Sure looks like two windows.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #19
"You sure? Sure looks like two windows."
----
Are you referring to the 1982 Chevy that the OP inquired about, or the 1999 listed in your signature as your model? According to the 'Changes by Year' document (link on the home page of the forum), the front cabover window was eliminated in mid-1990. The raised 'faux window' panels on the front of the overcab were painted black because (according to LD lore) Ed didn't want the LD to look 'like a bread truck'. If the rig that you refer to in the quoted question is a 1999, it does not have windows in the front of the cabover.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
"You sure? Sure looks like two windows."
----
Are you referring to the 1982 Chevy that the OP inquired about, or the 1999 listed in your signature as your model? According to the 'Changes by Year' document (link on the home page of the forum), the front cabover window was eliminated in mid-1990. The raised 'faux window' panels on the front of the overcab were painted black because (according to LD lore) Ed didn't want the LD to look 'like a bread truck'. If the rig that you refer to in the quoted question is a 1999, it does not have windows in the front of the cabover.

When I am get a minute I am going to go out and look.    As I mentioned earlier, I hadn't bothered to move the curtains, found no need for the extra light during the two short trips.    If things didn't get cancelled we would be heading home from a two week trip. For 4 nights my 30 year old son would have been sleeping up there, we probably would have noticed.  The reason I figured we had windows is that I have seen many pictures of LD's with the raised area but white. So I figured the white ones was the ones without windows.  Oh, when I was looking to buy the LD a guy there before me said, "Oh windows in front, I don't want those".   
I just checked. No windows. Too funny. Can't even open the curtain.  I wonder how long before I know everything about my LD. :)

1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #21
I have a 1991 LD 24' with the Chevy 454 V8 and the fake windows. Love it, although I have a mild phobia that it's going to break down, being so old.
One neat new thing -- with the virus scare, it's a treat to drive it to nearby restaurants, get the takeout food, and enjoy it in my own LD dining area!
Am in Tombstone, Arizona. Best small town in America -- clean air (military no-fly zone), pure water from mountain springs, no fast foods, no stoplights... a secret oasis.

Reply #22

One neat new thing -- with the virus scare, it's a treat to drive it to nearby restaurants, get the takeout food, and enjoy it in my own LD dining area!
I thought about doing that. Maybe next weekend.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #23
I have a 1991 LD 24' with the Chevy 454 V8 and the fake windows. Love it, although I have a mild phobia that it's going to break down, being so old.
I am in Tombstone, Arizona. Best small town in America -- clean air (military no-fly zone), pure water from mountain springs, no fast foods, no stoplights... a secret oasis.

Shsss, we don't want everyone find out about Tombstone.

!991 LDs are the beginning of what might be considered the modern LDs, with the introduction of the one-piece front caps, electronic fuel injection and 4-speed transmissions. Your LD's 454 and 4l80E transmission are strong, durable components and, while not cheap, rebuilt replacements are still available.

Larry
Larry

Reply #24
Shsss, we don't want everyone find out about Tombstone.

Your LD's 454 and 4l80E transmission are strong, durable components and, while not cheap, rebuilt replacements are still available.

Larry

Firm believer here in the cost savings of old. I could replace many motors and transmissions before I come close to the cost of a newer one.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath