Skip to main content
Topic: macerator use and abuse (Read 515 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: macerator use and abuse
Reply #1
Glen, are you looking for the standard 3" dump hose people use - for a good sturdy one?  Or does the macerator take a special one?
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
Is there a specific problem you're hoping to solve?

Macerators can occasionally clog, and then you will wish you had used a standard dump hose. 

A macerator can blow a fuse (keep extras). 

They are much slower than a 3" hose. 

I only choose a macerator when I have to go against gravity or transport over a long distance.

I wouldn't consider a macerator to be an 'upgrade'.   I consider it to be a downgrade that happens to work in some situations when traditional methods won't get the job done. 

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #3
Glen, I use a Flojet 18555-000A http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flojet-Portable-RV-12-Volt-Non-Submersible-Waste-Pump-18555000/300044041 and use 50 ft of 1" ID agricultural sprayer hose to get to the closest cleanout. I have the hose in two 25 ft sections. It's about a 2 ft rise to this cleanout.  I upgraded the wiring to 10 GA with Powerpole Connectors. So far it has worked great.

Here's a product comparison 10 Best RV Macerator Pumps Reviewed and Rated in 2020 - RV Web

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #4
I use a macerator, Glen, but only at home.  Doing this, I can return home with some gray and black water without the need to find a place to dump before arriving home.  I still use the 3-inch dump line on the road.  I'm not sure that using a macerator at a dump station where there is a line waiting would be without stress.

To coin your phrase, "its all good."  The connections are tight and don't leak.  The macerator does a good job.  If there is a drawback, it would be needing a 12v power source at the macerator.  I solve that step by using a deep cycle 12v battery that I keep around to power radios, and now, the macerator.

My previous method was to dump the tanks in a blue boy at home then dump in the sewer clean-outs but the valves on the LD were just too low to make that work as well as I wanted.

Dan

2007 IB-30

Reply #5
When we moved into our present home, 25 years, ago, it wasn't possible to dump at home and no affordable way to add sewer access.
I was familiar with macerator pumps both from boats and large industrial pumps and wanted to use one to pump uphill into the washing machine drain, in the garage.
At the time, there were no pre-made RV macerators so a 12-volt marine macerator, an old tank flusher, and a holding tank connector were blended into a pump assembly.
Macerator pump | Flickr
A hose connection and a two-way valve are located next to the dump valve, connected to the tank flushers.
Holding tank flusher | Flickr

The macerator gets used regularly at home, for tank flushing and is handy for long term driveway camping if a sewer cleanout is nearby.
It allows the LD to be used a single apartment at home, good for corona isolation if it comes down to that.

At home, a 50', 3/4" red hose is used only for dumping, stored in the garden shed when not in use.
In the motorhome, along with the standard 3" hose, a 50' and 15', 1/2" hose are carried, allowing dumping to drains up to fifty feet away. A big pipe wrench and 3' foot cheater are used to open up stubborn sewer cleanout plugs.

Being able to dump at home allows deeper flushing and cleaning, a benefit in an area where there are no nearby public dumps.
It has has been a definite upgrade for us, helping to keep the tanks and gauges functioning properly.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
I would definitely have a macerator if I had access to a sewer cleanout; there is none at my house, and only one that I've seen on the entire length of the street of 25 or more houses, built in the early 70s.  ::)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Thank you all for the infro.

What I'm trying to do is re-capture a compartment.   At the moment I have one compartment dedicated to dumping equipment.   I was thinking of using a macerator enclosed in its very own plastic box.    I do like the idea of have one for what I'm calling 'home' use.    I believe that will be the direction I'll go.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #8
Glen, sounds like: new project = new tool
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #9
What I'm trying to do is re-capture a compartment.  At the moment I have one compartment dedicated to dumping equipment.  I was thinking of using a macerator enclosed in its very own plastic box. 

I get it, our 23.5' Front Lounge has limited outside storage too.
Our macerator breaks down and fits in a plastic box. Today's macerator kits come with their own blown plastic cases.

Larry

Larry

Reply #10
Hi Glen,

Your LD, no doubt, has the original storage compartment for the 3” dump hose. From your description, it appears your current dump hose is longer than most.

To accommodate the longer length dump hoses, I’ve seen some RVers add a section of PVC pipe below the rear of the rig that can accommodate an extra dump hose. Some RVers actually add this PCV pipe to store things like fishing poles rather than extra dump hoses. Some hang the PVC from below the rig others mount them on top of the rear bumper.

Here’s an alternate storage idea. https://youtu.be/C0rJQo29OBY

As others here have done, I use the Flojet as a home dump solution. I simply draw power from the coach batteries. I’ve never used it for Dump Stations since the rig is generally less than 15 feet from the dump port.

Other than that, the use of a Macerator at a camp ground may draw the ire of fellow campers as it can take quite a bit longer to set up the device, actually dump waste (the Macerator can take several minutes to complete its dump & can actually shut down temporarily during the dump cycle if the motor gets too warm-this is common for me at home since my drain hose is over 50’ long).

That being said I can definitely see its usefulness at the dump if your current dump hose just won’t reach the dump.

I never leave home without it.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #11
I wonder why the guy in the video didn't store his hose inside the trailer bumper?

Here's an alternate storage idea. https://youtu.be/C0rJQo29OBY

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #12
Hi Glen. I too have a TK, without the storage compartment you have aft of the tail pipe. That was added after 2000.  To have a spare dump hose, I added a door and tube underneath for a longer hose. Behind the front door, is a cheap hose with just the tank fitting. I use it to dump at the typical concrete funnel in the ground dump station.
     Behind door number two, (aft) is a thicker higher quality hose. It doesn't compress as well, but has a longer storage tube. It has a fitting on the end that fits a screw-on-elbow (stored in the storage compartment above it).  It squeezes onto the dump hose after it is out of the storage tube and allows screwing onto a onsite dump connection. That is required at some campgrounds. It has several size threaded sections.  I've only used it a few times.  Sometimes the full hook up sites, don't actually have a dump station. Don Laughlin's Resort in Nevada for instance only allows dumping at your own site. (last time I was there)
    At home, my house cleanout in the driveway, is conveniently located just about 7 feet away. I use a Sewer Solution Bernouli water pump to dump and cleanout my tanks. My tank outlets are about 2" above the house cleanout. Sloped driveway.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #13
I'm having to jump on the macerator bandwagon. I'll be on my mother and step-father's farm in Texas on the 20th (they are 94 and 86 yrs old).

My plan is to still live in the LD and be their personal shopper and errand person. I was just going to dump my tanks at one of the 3 state parks near them but now all the state parks are closed until further notice.

Their house is on a septic tank so I have ordered the Flojet pump. I'll have to hit a Home Depot for a hose once I see how much of a run I need to the clean-out.

I'll most likely come back with many questions, so get ready! :-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #14
I'm having to jump on the macerator bandwagon. I'll be on my mother and step-father's farm in Texas on the 20th (they are 94 and 86 yrs old).
Their house is on a septic tank so I have ordered the Flojet pump. I'll have to hit a Home Depot for a hose once I see how much of a run I need to the clean-out.

Looks like a long life may be in your future and kudos to you for taking care of your grandparents, I'm sure they appreciate it.

For home use, a 3/4" diameter hose is preferable, especially if the run is long.  If you plan to continue carrying the hose on your future travels, a 5/8" hose will be easier to store.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Thanks Larry!

BTW, it's actually my mother and step-father.  I'm no spring chicken! 🙂
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #16
Deb,   if they're your parents,  they must be 'grand'  :)
Stay safe
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE