Skip to main content
Topic: Are you looking for a Jeep Cherokee? (Read 217 times) previous topic - next topic
Are you looking for a Jeep Cherokee?
I saw this 1999 two door on BAT.  It seems to have relatively low miles and is in good shape. These are a little heavy but I believe they are with in the limits for a Lazy Daze.  Larry or someone else might have more to say on the subject.  
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport for sale on BaT Auctions - ending March 2 (Lot...
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Are you looking for a Jeep Cherokee?
Reply #1

Older Cherokee (XJ) make great tow vehicles, carrying 4-5 people and capable of going places a normal car cannot, while weighing several hundred pounds less than a Jeep Wrangler. They are breeze to tow, put the transfer case in Neutral, the transmission in Park and leave the key in the steering unlocked position, with the ignition off.
Too bad Mopar ceased production 19 years ago, all the remaining Cherokees (1984-2001) are becoming antiques .

For a 21 year old vehicle , it is relatively clean,  has low miles and is a rare two-day model, unfortunately for me and other West Coasters it's 3000 miles away, Two doors, while looking good, are difficult for passengers to enter the rear seat.
Looking at the photos, it is definitely from a snowy climate that uses salt, one of the of the photos show a heavily rusted brake line, as well as other parts,  a new brake line kit should be installed as well as replacing other badly rusted parts.
The original paint evidently went bad, it has been repainted.

One bit of warning, Cherokees were never a high quality vehicle, they were inexpensive 'soccer mom' cars that caught on big time and set off the SUV craze. They are still the best SUV, IMO, for someone willing to kept it alive.

Find a good mechanic and be prepare to have a lot of little things go bad, it's 21 years old. Many the small parts are difficult to find or not available anymore. In that age range, the heater and A/C cores, the power window switches, door locks and motors die regularly. For the home mechanic, several XJ forums and hundred of Youtube videos provide information on repairing and maintaining XJs.
You can find me at NAXJA and other Jeep forums, posting as ''Lazyxj'.
NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association - Powered by vBulletin

I'm an owner of a 1997 and a 2001 Jeep Cherokee tow cars who dreams of buying a new one. There is nothing built today that is as good a toad alternative, anything with it's capacity weights 1000-lbs more or greater.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
My 99 limited is one of the most awesome long lasting vehicles I have ever owned. Got 250k on it and it just goes and goes. About 8 years ago I had to replace the heater core. I've had to patch a few wires that control windows and locks but that's about it. It's currently leaking a little power steering fluid on sharp turns. Figure I'll replace a power steering hose in the spring.

My original plan was to drive it into the ground but it keeps defying me.
Steve
2003TK

Reply #3
I have a 1991 Cherokee xj with 132k miles that I bought 6 months ago from the original owner in San Diego.  He took meticulous care of it and it has zero rust.  He towed it behind his Bluebird (a gorgeous RV) and it has a braking system installed.  I looked at a number of xjs and generally they had been "mucked" with and jacked up or otherwise mistreated.  I wanted an original non-lifted west coast vehicle.  There are a number of them available, but the people want $20k for them.   As Larry said, these vehicles were built to a "price point" standard, but they are light and can carry a lot of stuff.    Well in any case, I am now looking for a 2010-2011 Honda crv as my wife likes those better than the xj.  Off to another search...

Reply #4
There are a number of them available, but the people want $20k for them.  As Larry said, these vehicles were built to a "price point" standard, but they are light and can carry a lot of stuff.    Well in any case, I am now looking for a 2010-2011 Honda crv as my wife likes those better than the XJ. 

No question that a CRV is a nicer driving and a more comfortable vehicle than the old Cherokee.
But it can't take you here.

Imogene Pass Colorado, 13,114'

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze